Eat your hearts out, you wanna be censerite!

  • Rdr James
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2011
      The great fumadora of Compostela. Or is it called 'bottafumaro'?
      Don't you wish you had one?
      Rdr. James

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2011
        No. I can't stand that ridiculous thing.

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4, 2011
          On 8/4/11 11:15 PM, "Scott Knitter" <scott.knitter@...> wrote:

          No. I can't stand that ridiculous thing.

          Such a protestant!

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4, 2011
            You bet! Might as well add a giant shower head for the Asperges. It's
            called "take a small item from the Mass and blow it out of all
            proportion." Now someone will chime in about Benediction of the
            Blessed Sacrament, so I'll duck and run now.

            On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 10:34 PM, Douglas Cowling
            <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:

            > On 8/4/11 11:15 PM, "Scott Knitter" <scott.knitter@...> wrote:
            >
            > No. I can't stand that ridiculous thing.
            >

            > Such a protestant!
          • Lewis H. Whitaker
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4, 2011
              Well, if the shoe fits... The BCP does condemn it!

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 4, 2011
                Just says it wasn't done "by Christ's ordinance." Doesn't mean it
                can't be done! (Ducking and running yet again...)

                On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Lewis H. Whitaker <lhwhitaker@...> wrote:

                > Well, if the shoe fits... The BCP does condemn it!

                > On Aug 4, 2011, at 11:47 PM, Scott Knitter <scott.knitter@...> wrote:
                >
                >> You bet! Might as well add a giant shower head for the Asperges. It's
                >> called "take a small item from the Mass and blow it out of all
                >> proportion." Now someone will chime in about Benediction of the
                >> Blessed Sacrament, so I'll duck and run now.
              • Sean W. Reed
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
                  Given the proportions of the building, I don't find it that problematic.

                  Lot's of other liturgical inovations out there that bother me a lot more.

                  SWR

                  Scott Knitter <scott.knitter@...> wrote:

                  >You bet! Might as well add a giant shower head for the Asperges. It's
                  >called "take a small item from the Mass and blow it out of all
                  >proportion." Now someone will chime in about Benediction of the
                  >Blessed Sacrament, so I'll duck and run now.
                  >
                  >On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 10:34 PM, Douglas Cowling
                  ><cowling.douglas@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> On 8/4/11 11:15 PM, "Scott Knitter" <scott.knitter@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> No. I can't stand that ridiculous thing.
                  >>

                  >> Such a protestant!
                • Sean W. Reed
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
                    Neither was Morning Prayer read with hood and tippet by "Christ's ordinance."

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
                      My understanding is that the purpose of the botafumeira was to fumigate the
                      cathedral during the time that there were huge pilgrimages of unwashed
                      people present. Today, it is used only a limited number of times each year
                      and takes a team of a number of men to use it. It is not a part of their
                      liturgy!

                      David

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
                        On 8/5/11 9:19 AM, "dlewisaao@..." <dlewisaao@...> wrote:

                        My understanding is that the purpose of the botafumeira was to fumigate the
                        cathedral during the time that there were huge pilgrimages of unwashed
                        people present.

                        The pope looked very nervous as it swung past him.

                        This notion of ceremonalia being "outside" the mass is prissy modern
                        sensibility: the middle ages loved theatrics throughout the mass like the
                        release of doves, and flames running down oli-soaked ropes in the Pentecost
                        sequence.

                      • Ormonde Plater
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
                          For some close views, look up botafumeiro on YouTube, in videos taken by
                          many tourists. You need a lot of space.

                          Ormonde Plater

                        • Sean W. Reed
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
                            At least the one there now is relatively new, having been made by a firm represented by Whippels and featured in the metalwork catalog.