Public recitation of the Litany

  • Ian Gomersall
    Message 1 of 93 , Jul 31, 2011
      In Anglican tradition the Litany used to be said regularly often at fixed
      advertised times.

      the 1662 Prayer Book requires it on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, if my
      memory serves me correctly.

      I have to say nowadays I've rarely come across it being said publically as a
      distinct act of worship in the Church of England.
      But looking at this:
      http://www.melton.leicester.anglican.org/Groups/136682/St_Marys_C/Worship/Schedule_of_Services/Schedule_of_Services.aspx
      I see one English church, at least, is saying it regularly as a standalone
      act of worship on a Wednesday.

      This led me to wonder whether the custom of using a Litany as a regular
      separate act of worship ('standalone') is found elsewhere in the Anglican
      Communion, or indeed in other Christian churches.

      Ian
      Fr Blagden Gamlen's Church Travellers Directory: On Our church blog:
      http://wp.me/ptISx-9u <http://wp.me/ptISx-9u>

      Message 93 of 93 , Oct 3, 2011
        Interesting question.  I suppose Lutherans too could operate on two or more different calendars if two or more worship books (e.g. a previous one and a current one) are authorized for use in a denomination (e.g. LBW, ELW in the ELCA; LW, LSB in LCMS).  One would think, however, that adoption of a church year calendar would be an official decision that overrides all previous and current ritual uses.

        Frank C. Senn