Re: [liturgy-l] see, Catholics are doin' it too!

    Message 1 of 81 , Jul 4 9:09 AM
      Yes. The Extraordinary Form and similar celebrations strike me as
      appealing more to the heart, with more of an emotional connection with heaven,
      than the more intellectualized newer rites. It's not a matter of theater, at
      least not to me.

      David

      In a message dated 7/4/2011 11:55:08 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      cowling.douglas@... writes:

      On 7/4/11 11:28 AM, "dlewisaao@..." <dlewisaao@...> wrote:

      I sense that the current pope has spotted that much of the mystery has
      been
      lost in the newer rites and thus is rightly yearning for something that
      better connects with souls.

      Can you be more specific about your use of the term "mystery"? "Mystery"
      and "transcendent" are used rather freely these days, and too often when
      "theatrical" is the underlying sensibiity.

      Message 81 of 81 , Jul 22 12:54 PM
        On 7/22/11 3:24 PM, "Frank Senn" <fcsenn@...> wrote:

        Why back in 1969, when the reformed Roman Missal came out, at Gloria Dei
        Church in South Bend we did Luther's Formula Missae in Latin on Reformation
        Sunday, and kept on doing it annually for a  number of years thereafter.  We
        had people coming from Notre Dame to behold this wonder (and probably some
        Polish Catholics from South Bend, too!).

        When Pius XII was nuncio in Germany, he made a private trip to pray alone at
        the tomb of Martin Luther. There is probably a good case to be made that
        his plans for liturgical reform were formulating during this period.

        Evidently, Benedict XVI's upcoming trip to Germany will include visits to
        places associated with Martin Luther:

        http://tinyurl.com/3jcxzar