Re: [liturgy-l] Vigil of Pentecost

    Message 1 of 71 , Jun 10, 2011
      That sounds like great Zoroastrian fun!

      Lew

      Message 71 of 71 , Jun 14, 2011
        In addition to 2 clergy (most of the time = officiant and deacon, otherwise
        either officiant or officiant plus "exposing priest or deacon") we involve
        either 5 (MC, TH, CR, 2 ACs) or 6 (add a SD to the preceding) acolytes,
        the latter being the case most of the year. Yes, every Sunday, although
        several times each year we substitute Lessons & Carols for Evensong while also
        having Benediction.

        Parents of the boys are included in those in the congo, as well as any
        number of musician types from the area. Plus there are various parish groups,
        particularly the one for those in their 20s and 30s, that schedule social
        events right after (6 pm) E&B, which helps.

        David

        In a message dated 6/14/2011 10:48:45 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        scott.knitter@... writes:

        That's superb. I think our most recent attendance was 12. Some months
        it's been single digits.

        We have celebrant-in-cope, thurifer, and acolyte. The thurifer and
        acolyte assist with the cope in place of the deacon and subdeacon
        during altar-censing.

        Attendance problems stem from the service being monthly (so people
        forget and don't plan to stay in or come back to the area) and there
        being no choir (which often brought in friends and family of choir
        members at least). What people miss by not coming, besides the liturgy
        itself, is an excellent organ recital by David Schrader or David White
        just before the service.

        On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 9:35 AM, <dlewisaao@...> wrote:
        > Most of the time the choir sings the psalm(s) to Anglican chant
        settings.
        > On occasions when the psalms are sung by the congo, plainsong is used.
        >
        > In addition to having a choir of men and boys most of the year, which
        sings
        > the Mag and Nunc and a motet, we've gone truly "solemn" with an
        officiant
        > assisted by a D and SD also in cope and with a change to white solemn
        mass
        > vestments between E and B (from after Corpus Christi through Sept we do
        it
        > with one priest who does not change vestments). And immediately after
        > Evensong and before the motet, the MC conducts the ministers to the
        Walsingham
        > Shrine during the seasonal Marian antiphon and for the requisite
        versicle,
        > response and collect.
        >
        > Our E&B attendance is usually around 75. Last Sunday it was 101,
        because
        > we had an augmented choir totaling 30 and this was the farewell to the
        kids
        > for the season.
        >
        > David
        >

        > In a message dated 6/14/2011 10:00:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        > scott.knitter@... writes:
        >
        > How are the psalms sung at Solemn Evensong, David? Congregationally or
        > by the choir? Plainsong?
        >
        > I lament our downplaying of the psalms, the very core of the Office.
        > We substitute a hymn that's a psalm paraphrase, and not necessarily of
        > the psalms appointed. :( I believe it is thought that congregations
        > can no longer sing psalms and because we no longer employ the choir at
        > E&B, the hymn is the only way. Quite low attendance for our monthly
        > E&B October through May.
        >
        > On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 8:54 AM, <dlewisaao@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Actually, I've heard no complaints one way or the other in many years
        >> regarding our use of traditional language. What is interesting,
        though,
        > is
        >> that we get good attendance from outside the parish for Solemn
        Evensong &