Re: [liturgy-l] Catholic Terminology

    Message 1 of 21 , May 10, 2011
      On 5/10/11 5:29 PM, "Walter Knowles" <wrknowles@...> wrote:

      Most of the stuff I know from the Tractarians and Cambridge movement just
      uses "Roman Church" without "catholic".

      The question presented itself when I was reading a biography of a British
      politician at the beginning of the 20th century. After his accession in
      1901, Edward VII held a traditional series of audiences for the Privileged
      Bodies (University heads, Anglican bishops, senior service officers, etc).
      Prominent Catholic politicians and bishops proposed that they too should be
      allowed to present the loyalties of British Catholics.

      The government of the day was opposed, fearing "No Popery" agitation, but
      the king persisted and the audience took place. The king was officially
      advised by the cabinet to only refer to "Roman Catholics" not "Catholics."