Church liturgical calendars

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5, 2011
      Many to most local churches, in some cases aided by national resources,
      publish calendars each year for the use of parishioners as well as
      liturgy-planners.

      For example, Ashby Publishing puts out two versions, one Episcopal and the
      other Churchman's Ordo Kalendar. The former shows just the Prayer Book
      holy days, whereas the latter shows various lesser feasts as well. However,
      the latter is a "mix and match" situation as far as the liturgical
      calendar: whereas it uses the 1979 BCP calendar system most of the time, at
      Christmas it uses the 1928 BCP system (i.e., if one of the post-Christmas Day
      "witness days" occurs on a Sunday, it is observed in lieu of Christmas 1 rather
      than all of said says being observed in turn.) Another problem is that
      there is no plan to incorporate the newer lesser feasts included in the
      successor book to Lesser Feasts & Fasts, some of which we use although giving
      greater weight to feasts recognized by the Wider Church.

      My parish is looking into publishing its own calendar. I'm aware that
      such Episcopal parishes as Resurrection NYC and St Clement's Philadelphia
      publish their own calendars. Have others done this? Is it supported by
      advertisers (such as a RC one I have near my desk) or by purchases by
      parishioners (we have been using parish-personalized Churchman's Ordo calendars and
      selling them @ $5).

      I might add that another reason we are looking toward publishing our own
      calendar is to have a product where people can write in each day's box - the
      Ordo Kalendar does not permit same.

      Any comments, advice and/or referrals would be helpful and undoubtedly will
      be of use to others on this list who have similar needs.

    • James
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5, 2011
        Orthodox parish calendars usually don't have space to write in stuff since we have so many saints listed plus the scripture readingf for the day! A little larger calendar with about 2" space for each day would give more room. And we have many local saints that some people like very much. It is a quandry, but I applaud parishes publishing their own calendars based on the feasts they celebrate locally.
        There was once a St. Hilarion's Press calendar (now defunct) that gave a yearly calendar of both the Eastern and Western saints (excluding later post-reformation Anglican worthies). I still have a copy from several years ago and it is very informative. It did not lest any western saints from after the great schism of 1054 but your mileage may vary there. I still regard both Teresas as holy, along with St. John Vianney and several others. But don't tell, please??

        Rdr. James Morgan

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2011
          I've always wondered how the news got around that, depending on one's side
          of the equation, the Orthodox Church or the Roman Catholic Church was going
          to hell after the mutual excommunications of 1054. That date is used as an
          arbitrary cut off, but how did the folks in the pew know that their
          neighbours were hell-bound?

          Anathemae today are handled by email and internet forum postings.

          Lew

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5, 2011
            I guess we have a de facto parish calendar that's the sum total of the
            weekly information published in our bulletin. I think it's mostly
            based on the Churchman's Ordo Kalendar (except when Bp. Yingling's
            preferences go off track too much). There's a copy of Holy Women, Holy
            Men, on the bookshelf in the priests' sacristy, but I don't think we
            really use it yet; it's mainly a resource for celebrants when they
            want to preach a homily on a lesser feast; these would be feasts
            already observed from the LFF 2006 but might have updated information
            in the HWHM to draw from.

            Our kalendar for this week has Lenten Ferias through Saturday with the
            following commemorations (done by using the collect at the end of the
            prayers of the people):

            Monday - Isidore of Seville, Bp, 636
            Tuesday - Vincent Ferrer, Priest and Confessor, 1419
            Thursday - Jean-Baptiste de la Salle, Confessor, 1719
            Friday - William Augustus Muhlenberg, Priest, 1877
            Saturday - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Pastor and Theologian, 1877

            On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 5:02 PM, <dlewisaao@...> wrote:
            > Many to most local churches, in some cases aided by national resources,
            > publish calendars each year for the use of parishioners as well as
            > liturgy-planners.
            >
            > For example, Ashby Publishing puts out two versions, one Episcopal and the
            > other Churchman's Ordo Kalendar.  The former shows just the Prayer Book
            > holy days, whereas the latter shows various lesser feasts as well.   However,
            > the latter is a "mix and match" situation as far as the liturgical
            > calendar: whereas it uses the 1979 BCP calendar system most of the time, at
            > Christmas it uses the 1928 BCP system (i.e., if one of the post-Christmas Day
            > "witness days" occurs on a Sunday, it is observed in lieu of Christmas 1 rather
            > than all of said says being observed in turn.)  Another problem is that
            > there is no plan to incorporate the newer lesser feasts included in the
            > successor book to Lesser Feasts & Fasts, some of which we use although  giving
            > greater weight to feasts recognized by the Wider Church.
            >
            > My parish is looking into publishing its own calendar.  I'm aware that
            > such Episcopal parishes as Resurrection NYC and St Clement's Philadelphia
            > publish their own calendars.  Have others done this?  Is it supported  by
            > advertisers (such as a RC one I have near my desk) or by purchases by
            > parishioners (we have been using parish-personalized Churchman's Ordo calendars  and
            > selling them @ $5).
            >
            > I might add that another reason we are looking toward publishing our own
            > calendar is to have a product where people can write in each day's box - the
            > Ordo Kalendar does not permit same.
            >
            > Any comments, advice and/or referrals would be helpful and undoubtedly will
            >  be of use to others on this list who have similar needs.
            >
            > David Lewis

          • pgoings
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011
              We produce the simple black-and-white version of the calendar at S. Clement's in-house, so there is no need for advertisers. When we have done a color version with photographs it has usually been underwritten by a benefactor.

              I wouldn't think that we'd ever be able to produce a version that left room for notes because we include a number of liturgical details for each day. The one that Resurrection offers is probably more suitable for this, as they, I believe, only have the feasts and commemorations for each day.

              Paul Goings
              Philadelphia, PA

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011
                Do you have any idea as to the cost of producing the calendar and how is it
                defrayed - for example, a charge of $#/copy?

                I've seen the color version in past years and it looks very nice.

                BTW, the RC calendar I have has approx a 2" square for each day, with the
                date in the upper left, the liturgical color in the upper right ("WHITE",
                "VIOLET", etc.) and the name of the particular observance across the bottom
                (usually taking two lines), leaving sufficient room in between for any
                personal notes.

                David

              • Fr. Art Hebbeler
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 6, 2011
                  Figure between $1.75 and $2.50 per calendar, based on quantity. That seems
                  to be the range for school year calendars (same basic concept).

                  Art

                  --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com <mailto:liturgy-l%40yahoogroups.com> ,