How to wear a concical chasuble

  • Rdr James
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2011
    • Sean W.
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2011
        Could you explain more fully the introductory comment?

        SWR

        --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, "Rdr James" <rdrjames@...> wrote:

        > Interesting website even if it RC
        >
        > http://www.tridentinum.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=378%3Acome-si-indossa-la-casula-gotica&catid=37%3Ablog-category&Itemid=109&lang=en
        > or:
        > http://tinyurl.com/3arenkr

      • James
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2011
          It is an RC 'traditionalist' site, but the post might apply to Anglicans and even Western Rite Orthodox who want to wear conical chasubles. I was not attempting to demean anyone here, please?

          Rdr. James
          PS Many 'traditionalist' RC priests seem to prefer the Borromeo or other 'Roman' chasuble, or even the fiddleback kind, and at solemn masses have those dalmatics and tunicles with flaps for the arms and large ropey tassel things hanging from the back (wonder where they came from?)

          And in case anyone is interested, I'm a devotee of liturgical apparal like gremiales and vinpae and buskins and such, along with elongated mitres (like the Armenians wear) and even maniples with little shovels on their ends.

          In western vestments I prefer Gothic moderation, like the nice rose set that I sent here.

          Rdr. James

          --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, "Sean W." <skreed1@...> wrote:

          > Could you explain more fully the introductory comment?
          >
          > SWR

          > --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, "Rdr James" <rdrjames@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Interesting website even if it RC
          > >
          > > http://www.tridentinum.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=378%3Acome-si-indossa-la-casula-gotica&catid=37%3Ablog-category&Itemid=109&lang=en
          > > or:
          > > http://tinyurl.com/3arenkr
        • John Dornheim
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2011
            Many of us Lutherans wear chasubles but I haven't seen them as long as pictured so arm movements, etc are not encumbered. I am not enamored with the style that makes the presided appear to be wearing a bib.
            John Dornheim

            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2, 2011
              On 4/2/11 5:03 PM, "Rdr James" <rdrjames@...> wrote:

              http://www.tridentinum.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=378%
              3Acome-si-indossa-la-casula-gotica&catid=37%3Ablog-category&Itemid=109&lang=
              en or:
              http://tinyurl.com/3arenkr

              I was particularly edified by the direction to flap your arms like a bird
              after donning a conical chasuble.

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 2, 2011
                I have a conicle chasuble with our Holy Week Sarum red array. Like all our vestments and paraments it was made by a woman in our congregation with my design suggestions.  The mistake we made was not giving it more of a bell shape.  It hangs straight down from the shoulders.  So it's a little trickier to gather it up and over my arms.  One of the problems with the conicle style is that it bunches up in the front and hangs long in the back.  But from this I can see how the "Byzantine cut" originated from the original design.

                Frank C. Senn

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 2, 2011
                  I thought Sarum Array was unbleached linen?

                  Lew

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 2, 2011
                    Sarum Use Lenten Array would be unbleached linen, but Holy Week Sarum array
                    would be oxblood red.

                    David

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 2, 2011
                      The best chasubles in terms of arm movements would be the fiddleback kind.
                      Don't know where the tassels come from on solemn mass dalmatics and
                      tunicles but most such vestments I've seen tend to have them.

                      David

                      In a message dated 4/2/2011 6:25:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      johndornheim@... writes:

                      Many of us Lutherans wear chasubles but I haven't seen them as long as
                      pictured so arm movements, etc are not encumbered. I am not enamored with the
                      style that makes the presided appear to be wearing a bib.
                      John Dornheim

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Apr 2, 2011, at 5:55 PM, "James" <rdrjames@...> wrote:

                      > It is an RC 'traditionalist' site, but the post might apply to Anglicans
                      and even Western Rite Orthodox who want to wear conical chasubles. I was
                      not attempting to demean anyone here, please?

                      > Rdr. James
                      > PS Many 'traditionalist' RC priests seem to prefer the Borromeo or other
                      'Roman' chasuble, or even the fiddleback kind, and at solemn masses have
                      those dalmatics and tunicles with flaps for the arms and large ropey tassel
                      things hanging from the back (wonder where they came from?)

                      > And in case anyone is interested, I'm a devotee of liturgical apparal
                      like gremiales and vinpae and buskins and such, along with elongated mitres
                      (like the Armenians wear) and even maniples with little shovels on their
                      ends.

                      > In western vestments I prefer Gothic moderation, like the nice rose set
                      that I sent here.

                      > Rdr. James
                      >
                      > --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, "Sean W." <skreed1@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Could you explain more fully the introductory comment?
                      > >
                      > > SWR
                      >
                      > > --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, "Rdr James" <rdrjames@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Interesting website even if it RC

                      http://www.tridentinum.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=378%3Acome-si-indossa-la-casula-gotica&catid=37%3Ablog-category&Itemid=10
                      9&lang=en
                      > > > or:
                      > > > http://tinyurl.com/3arenkr

                    • James
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 4, 2011
                        John, try a phelonion of the Russian style sometime! From the back it looks like a giant lampshade!

                        Rdr. James
                        I don't have an iPhone

                        --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, John Dornheim <johndornheim@...> wrote:

                        > Many of us Lutherans wear chasubles but I haven't seen them as long as pictured so arm movements, etc are not encumbered. I am not enamored with the style that makes the presided appear to be wearing a bib.
                        > John Dornheim
                        >
                        > Sent from my iPhone

                      • James
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 4, 2011
                          Perhaps there is a prayer one utters whilst flapping?
                          I thought that was rather amusing, myself.
                          Jim of olym

                          --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:

                          > On 4/2/11 5:03 PM, "Rdr James" <rdrjames@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > http://www.tridentinum.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=378%
                          > 3Acome-si-indossa-la-casula-gotica&catid=37%3Ablog-category&Itemid=109&lang=
                          > en or:
                          > http://tinyurl.com/3arenkr
                          >

                          > I was particularly edified by the direction to flap your arms like a bird
                          > after donning a conical chasuble.
                          >
                          > Doug Cowling
                          > Director of Music
                          > St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
                          > Toronto

                        • James
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 4, 2011
                            Shhh! Lew, don't tell them that! They will all start running to Wippels and Wareham Guild demanding unbleached linen!

                            Jim of Olym
                            PS I can see a glut of conical chasubles out there next year, with hopeful clergy flapping away....

                            --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Lewis Whitaker <lhwhitaker@...> wrote:

                            > I thought Sarum Array was unbleached linen?
                            >
                            > Lew
                            >
                            > On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Frank Senn <fcsenn@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > I have a conicle chasuble with our Holy Week Sarum red array. Like all our
                            > > vestments and paraments it was made by a woman in our congregation with my
                            > > design suggestions. The mistake we made was not giving it more of a bell
                            > > shape. It hangs straight down from the shoulders. So it's a little
                            > > trickier to gather it up and over my arms. One of the problems with the
                            > > conicle style is that it bunches up in the front and hangs long in the
                            > > back. But from this I can see how the "Byzantine cut" originated from the
                            > > original design.
                            > >
                            > > Frank C. Senn
                          • James
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 4, 2011
                              It must have been those durn nuns who wanted to decorate things with tassels. They can't be denied their little pious frivolities!

                              Jim of Olym