Re: [liturgy-l] Candlemass

    Message 1 of 36 , Jan 31, 2011
      On 1/31/11 3:37 PM, "Ian Gomersall" <ian.gomersall@...> wrote:

      "The response *Adorna *has unfortunately vanished from the Missal, but is
      still in the Graduale Romanum, and in a shortened form in the Liturgy of the
      Hours."

      What is this response and has it been turned into an English hymn?

      "Adorna Thalamum" is still the second antiphon for the Candlemas procession.
      However, the number of churches who have a procession solely with chant must
      be very small. Vernacular missals generally do not use the solemn form of
      the blessing of candles at the altar with people coming forward to kneel at
      the communion rails to to receive the candles before the procession.

      The UK missal has unlighted candles in people's hands as they come into the
      church which are then lit during the Nunc Dimittis. A "hymn" accompanies
      the procession including the people.

      Some anglo-catholic shrines like St. Clement's, Philadelphia, have the full
      drill with kissing of the celebrant's hand and the candle by everyone
      present.

      And don't forget the special candle-cross for the Blessing of Throats on St.
      Blaise's Day on Feb 3.

      I think the rubric for the latter is:

      "Take two candles and call me in the morning."

    • wx5116
      Message 36 of 36 , Jan 30, 2013
        At my former Episcopal parish in DC, all of the candles for the year arrive in January and are placed in a position for blessing as a part of the Candlemas liturgy.

        Two years ago, when the liturgy was done in the atrium and then everyone processed into the church, the candles were on a dolley that was then easily moved to the elevator and down to the basement room where most of the candles are stored.

        Although in the Catholic Church there are both formal and comparatively informal rites for the blessing of candles, there is no requirement that they be blessed:

        In a message dated 1/30/2013 11:53:19 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, scott.knitter@... writes:
        We just have a pile of candles on a table that are sprinkled and
        censed and blessed. Whether it represents the entire year's worth of
        candles is of little concern (perhaps it's sort of a baptism by proxy
        of all the other candles that didn't make it to the table).

        On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Jim . <jim.meriden@...> wrote:

        > I've had candles blessed on Candlemass, but he priest has told me that
        > candles can be blessed at any time......Roman
        >
        > Our church does not store a years worth or altar candles, so I would
        > imagine that if they do need to be blessed, it is done each time a new
        > supply arrives at the church.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to: