Accretions=Adiaphora

  • Bob White
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2010
      Hello all,

      Some in the various venues to which this is sent might find it
      interesting.

      http://www.alban.org/conversation.aspx?id=9309

      "When a Pipe Organ is Just a Pipe Organ"
      N. Graham Standish

      and a snippet:

      "Adrian van Kaam, a Roman Catholic priest and spiritual writer with
      whom I studied in the early 1990s, describes a tradition as the body
      of wisdom and practices that the church passes down from age to age.
      It connects us to the Holy. It binds us in faith with all who have
      come before us. According to van Kaam, we cannot be intentional about
      connecting with the Holy through our practices until we are able to
      distinguish between what is accretional and what is foundational to a
      tradition."

      --
      Bob mailto:rwhite84@...

      The trouble with some of us is that we have been inoculated
      with small doses of Christianity which keep us from
      catching the real thing. --Leslie Dixon Weatherhead
    • John Schultz
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2010
        Thanks your for this. Makes some very good points.

        BTW, you have a pretty nice organ there in Cambridge, MD (I'm North of
        you in Centreville).

        John