RE: [liturgy-l] Angel hymns

  • Ormonde Plater
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2010
      That hymn sung to Coelites plaudant is No. 282 in the Episcopal Church's
      Hymnal 1982. (Without Uriel, I'm afraid.) I believe it is well known here.

      Ormonde Plater

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2010
        Check out
         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt-peNOMz70

        Frank C. Senn

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2010
          On 10/2/10 1:32 PM, "Ian Gomersall" <ian.gomersall@...> wrote:

          We had a Mass for Michaelmass on Wednesday and the Bishop presiding chose
          the hymn: Christ the Fair Glory of the Holy Angels. The tune we used was the
          not very well known, Coelites Plaudant. It names three of the Archangels -
          Michael, Gabriel and Raphael, but not Uriel. It made me wonder which if any
          are mentioned in liturgical texts.

          "Coelites Plaudant" -- the greatest of the French cathedral tunes!

          Uriel is mentoned in the deutero-canonical sciptures: 2 Esdras 4:1 "And the
          angel that was sent unto me, whose name was Uriel, gave me an answer"

          Haydn has Gabriel, Uriel and Raphael as his three soloists in "The Creation"

        • AnnaMarie Hoos
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010
            I enjoy of ³There are angels hovering Œround² (traditional) and ³Sweet
            spirits do surround us now² (a Shaker tune, Celestial Choir). I know them
            from Music for Liturgy, published by All Saints Company.

            AnnaMarie Hoos
            Grace Cathedral & St. Gregory of Nyssa, San Francisco

          • bliesem@csl.edu
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2010
              I am often criticized for holding this hymn of Martin Luther as my favorite:

              Isaiah, mighty seer.

              www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/i/s/a/isaiahms.htm

              Mark J. Bliese
              Saint Louis, Mo.