Angel hymns

  • Ian Gomersall
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2010
      We had a Mass for Michaelmass on Wednesday and the Bishop presiding chose
      the hymn: Christ the Fair Glory of the Holy Angels. The tune we used was the
      not very well known, Coelites Plaudant.
      It names three of the Archangels - Michael, Gabriel and Raphael, but not
      Uriel. It made me wonder which if any are mentioned in liturgical texts.

      Anyone a favourite Angel or Archangel hymn?

      Ian

      Try our angel quiz on our church blog: http://stchrysostoms.wordpress.com/

    • Ormonde Plater
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2010
        That hymn sung to Coelites plaudant is No. 282 in the Episcopal Church's
        Hymnal 1982. (Without Uriel, I'm afraid.) I believe it is well known here.

        Ormonde Plater

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2010
          Check out
           http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt-peNOMz70

          Frank C. Senn

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2010
            On 10/2/10 1:32 PM, "Ian Gomersall" <ian.gomersall@...> wrote:

            We had a Mass for Michaelmass on Wednesday and the Bishop presiding chose
            the hymn: Christ the Fair Glory of the Holy Angels. The tune we used was the
            not very well known, Coelites Plaudant. It names three of the Archangels -
            Michael, Gabriel and Raphael, but not Uriel. It made me wonder which if any
            are mentioned in liturgical texts.

            "Coelites Plaudant" -- the greatest of the French cathedral tunes!

            Uriel is mentoned in the deutero-canonical sciptures: 2 Esdras 4:1 "And the
            angel that was sent unto me, whose name was Uriel, gave me an answer"

            Haydn has Gabriel, Uriel and Raphael as his three soloists in "The Creation"

          • AnnaMarie Hoos
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2010
              I enjoy of ³There are angels hovering Œround² (traditional) and ³Sweet
              spirits do surround us now² (a Shaker tune, Celestial Choir). I know them
              from Music for Liturgy, published by All Saints Company.

              AnnaMarie Hoos
              Grace Cathedral & St. Gregory of Nyssa, San Francisco

            • bliesem@csl.edu
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 4, 2010
                I am often criticized for holding this hymn of Martin Luther as my favorite:

                Isaiah, mighty seer.

                www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/i/s/a/isaiahms.htm

                Mark J. Bliese
                Saint Louis, Mo.