Armenian Liturgy

  • Ian Gomersall
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 22, 2010
      I've had some experience of Armenian liturgy, which makes me curious to know
      a few things. I was looking at the deacon's guide which someone gave for our
      parish eBay sale (see url below). It seems the liturgy is very similar to
      Orthodox rites - is that so? Indeed is it the same but in Armenian?

      From my understanding the Armenian Church is ancient and that makes me
      wonder if their liturgies have ancient customs in them not found elsewhere.
      Its difficult to know the answers to this without knowing Armenian!

      Ian

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 22, 2010
        Yes and no, Ian.

        Here is a pdf containing the Ordinary of the Armenian Divine Liturgy.

        _http://www.armenianchurchlibrary.com/files/The_Divine_Liturgy-English.pdf_
        (http://www.armenianchurchlibrary.com/files/The_Divine_Liturgy-English.pdf)

        The Armenian liturgy is not the same as the Byzantine Divine Liturgy, but
        certainly contains elements which are identical to the Byzantine DL. What
        you will also be surprised to find is that there are also elements of the
        medieval Roman Mass, brought to Armenia by Dominican friars

        J. Michael Thompson
        Pittsburgh, PA

        In a message dated 9/22/2010 3:18:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        ian.gomersall@... writes:

        I've had some experience of Armenian liturgy, which makes me curious to
        know
        a few things. I was looking at the deacon's guide which someone gave for
        our
        parish eBay sale (see url below). It seems the liturgy is very similar to
        Orthodox rites - is that so? Indeed is it the same but in Armenian?

        From my understanding the Armenian Church is ancient and that makes me

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 23, 2010
          Thats fascinating, Michael. (At least I think so!). Is there an online
          history of the Armenian Liturgy you could point me to.

          Ian

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 23, 2010
            Ian,

            Alas, what I have found on-line ends up being one- or two-paragraph
            articles which give little concrete information. I am sorry to not be of more
            help.

            J. Michael Thompson
            Pittsburgh, PA

          • Father Rob
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 24, 2010
              Ian,

              A good primer on the Armenian Liturgy:
              http://www.armenianchurch-ed.net/faith-and-worship/the-badarak/introduction-to-the-badarak/

              One thing I find fascinating is the Armenian version of the Creed, clearly based on Nicea, but with its own distinct feel.

              Creed of the Armenian Church
              We believe in one God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of things visible and invisible.

              And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, begotten of God the Father, only-begotten, that is of the substance of the Father.

              God from God, light from light, true God from true God, begotten and not made; of the same nature of the Father, by whom all things came into being in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible;

              Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven, took body, became man, was born perfectly of the holy Virgin Mary by the Holy Spirit.

              By whom he took body, soul and mind and everything that is in man, truly and not in semblance.

              He suffered and was crucified and was buried and rose again on the third day and ascended into heaven with the same body and sat at the right hand of the Father.

              He is to come with the same body and with the glory of the Father to judge the living and the dead; of His kingdom there is no end.

              We believe also in the Holy Spirit, the uncreated and the perfect; who spoke through the Law and through the Prophets and through the Gospels;

              Who came down upon the Jordan, preached through the apostles and dwelled in the saints.

              We believe also in only one catholic and apostolic holy Church;

              In one baptism with repentance for the remission and forgiveness of sins;

              In the resurrection of the dead, in the everlasting judgment of souls and bodies, in the kingdom of heaven and in the life eternal.

              Rob+