Re: [liturgy-l] Rubrics for monastics

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
      Wow! This is a development I'll be following with much interest. I'll
      look for any such instructions and make sure you get access to them.

      --
      Scott R. Knitter
      Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
        David
        I have a link to a site about cowls. I'll post it when I'm at my computer.

        Sandford MacLean

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
          On 8/20/10 11:35 AM, "dlewisaao@..." <dlewisaao@...> wrote:

          They are trying to find a resource that sets for the rubrics within each
          office, e.g., when they put on and take down their cowls during Mattins,
          and the "why" (history?) of such instructions.

          I think the type of heating system influenced the custom.

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
            Thank you (and also thank you, Scott).

            David

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
              I've found the link on your parish's site:

              http://www.stpauls-kst.com/benedictine-community

              Quite exciting to read about this and the inspiration from the St.
              Gervais community.

              The monks at St. Gregory's Abbey in Three Rivers wear cowls, at least
              for some Offices, and could probably advise about the ceremonial and
              history. Abbot Andrew OSB:

              abbot@...

              The Scottish Rite "Cathedral" here in Chicago is up for sale, and I've
              had daydreams about the Communities of Jerusalem taking it over and
              gracing Chicago's Near North Side with their presence and witness.
              I've also daydreamed about our parish taking over the building, but
              we've got plenty going on where we are, not far from there. :)

              http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/00/18/36/e2/scottish-rite-cathedral.jpg

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
                On 8/20/10 11:50 AM, "dlewisaao@..." <dlewisaao@...> wrote:

                They plan to model after the Holy Rules of St Benedict and the Communities
                of Jerusalem (the later can be found at St-Gervais in Paris and Montreal).

                The Jerusalem community uses a modern adaptation of the Roman rite with
                Byzantine influence which is very different from traditional 7-hour
                Benedictine office. They have an eight-week cycle of the psalms, there is
                only matins and vespers and daily mass (Saturday vigil office), extra OT and
                NT canticles, and many Byzantine features such as the proclamation of the
                day or feast (like the Exultet). Any of the Anglican breviaries would be
                useless for their ordo.

                However, the Jesusalem rite is perfect for parishes as it assumes that lay
                people will come daily and sing the office. The music is in a harmonized
                neo-Byzantine style with very little Gregorian chant. I spent a year
                attending St. Jean-de-Malte in Aix-en-Provence and fell in love with this
                arrangement of the office. You can see the office from St. Gervais
                live-streamed at http://www.ktotv.com/

                It would be a HUGE mistake to try to force this pastoral approach to a
                lay-laid daily office into a traditional Benedictine order.

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
                  Thanks. David

                • Walter Knowles
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
                    David,

                    Since I'm not there, I can't say anything about what God is calling your
                    community to do/be, but I wonder about the creation of a benedictine-ish
                    community in the heart of one of the busiest cities in the world. After
                    all, the whole trajectory of Anthony-John Cassian-The Master-Benedict is
                    rural.

                    There are other streams within the great tradition of monasticism, many
                    much more suited to the opus dei within an urban situation, and as an
                    Anglican community, you are free to explore them, rather than simply to
                    re-create a romantic interpretation of 19th- and 20th-century European
                    communities. I'd strongly suggest that you explore the whole canonic
                    tradition based on St. Augustine's "rules," in particular the rules of
                    10th-13th-century Britain.

                    These rules are not trapped in the "seven historic offices," which of
                    course are really "two historic offices" or "eight historic offices" or
                    any other number that one might choose to look for an historic precedent.

                    I haven't studied the Communities of Jerusalem in any great detail (I'm
                    sure Doug has much more info than I do), but from what little I know of
                    them, it seems that they have followed this trajectory of urban
                    monasticism rather than the benedictine way. As a result, I think they
                    follow a two-office plus eucharist (what has been called the "cathedral"
                    as apposed to the "monastic") ordo. As a result, if you try to combine
                    these two ways, you are building an almost ontological conflict into
                    your rule of life--which isn't a particularly good idea.

                    And on a somewhat more humorous vein, wouldn't a cowl in a Washington,DC
                    summer be an extraordinary and inappropriate penance--something worse
                    than a hair shirt, but less than a whip?

                    Walt Knowles
                    Kirkland, WA

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
                      Here's a Benedictine community called to and thriving in the city:

                      http://chicagomonk.org/

                      They were given a church that was slated to be closed: Immaculate
                      Heart of Mary, Bridgeport.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
                        Interesting that the Chicago monks also took the Communities of
                        Jerusalem as a model and even used their liturgy for a time:

                        http://chicagomonk.org/?page_id=80

                        I was wrong on the name of the church: it was Immaculate Conception.

                        I've visited for Vespers on two or three occasions. It was chanted
                        beautifully. The prior is working on a new set of office books,
                        basically an English version of the new Antiphonale Monasticum.

                        They used to broadcast all of their offices via the Internet, but they
                        either had a technical problem they decided not to fix (cost?), or it
                        became too much of a distraction to keep it going. I remember arising
                        early to hear them shuffle into the church and chant Vigils.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
                          David,
                          The link is to a site that provides a pamphlet on Dominican Choir rubrics.
                          http://www.op-stjoseph.org/preaching/dominican_rite/resources/
                          Here is the relevant part regarding cowls:

                          THE CAPUCE

                          When the Capuce Is Worn by Dominican Friars

                          As a general rule, the Capuce should cover the head whenever we are in Choir or in public.

                          I. In the Office and Mass the head should be uncovered:

                          1. In the beginning of every

                          Hour up to the “sicut erat”of the first “Gloria Patri” of the same.

                          2. During the Canticles: “Magnificat,” “Benedictus” and “Nunc Dimittis” . with their respective Antiphons.

                          3. When the Preces are said; likewise, the “Kyrie Eleison,” etc., and the “Pater Noster” with its Versicles and prayers.

                          4. At every “Dominus vobiscum,” Collect, and Memory.

                          5. Whenever the “Salve Regina” is said; when said after the Hours, the head is kept uncovered until the end of Office.

                          II. Moreover, the head should be uncovered:

                          1. Whenever the Venia is made.

                          2. Whenever the Prostration on the Form is made, except: (1) in the Litany of the Saints from the invocation“SanctaMaria,”inclusively, to the “Agnus Dei;” (2) in the Mass, before and after the Elevation; (3) when the Penitential Psalms are recited.

                          3. Whenever the rubrics direct the brethren to kneel, except: (1) during the part of the Litany of the Saints before mentioned; (2) during Low Mass; (3) during mental prayer.

                          4. Whenever a Genuflection is made. (The priest and major ministers upon their first approach to the altar and their last departure from it, are excepted.)

                          5. Whenever a Profound

                          Inclination is made: (Exception as above.) When making the Medium Inclination the head is not uncovered unless a special.

                          rubric directs.

                          6. Whenever an Inclination of the Head is made, except: (1) when the name of Jesus, of Mary, or of St. Dominic, is pronounced; (2) at every “Gloria Patri” in the Office of the Blessed Virgin, recited

                          in the Dormitory; likewise at every “Gloria. Patti” in the Divine Office recited in private.

                          7. Whenever the Gospel is read.

                          8. In the Litany of the Saints said either after Compline or before Mass, from the beginning to the words “Sancta Maria,” inclusive,

                          and from the “Agnus Dei” to the end.

                          9. In High Mass while the celebrant intones the “Gloria in Excelsis” and the “Credo.”

                          10. During the Elevation in the Mass, and whenever the

                          Blessed Sacrament is exposed for any reason whatever.

                          11. Whenever in Choir or Chapter any one reads or intones anything. If more than one stand before the lectern

                          while anything is being intoned, they only, who actually intone, uncover the head.

                          III. In Chapter:

                          The brethren in Chapter remain with bared heads after the reading of the Martyrology, from the Pretiosa to the end, except during the

                          reading of the Constitutions, if they be read, and while they recite the Psalms “Ad te levavi” and “De profundis” for the benefactors, and whenever they sit down.

                          IV. At Table:

                          1. The head should be un covered during the blessing in the Refectory, and at the “De profundis” said before the blessing.

                          2. He who reads in the Refectory should have his head uncovered while he asks and receives the blessing, and in the beginning of the reading until the signal is given; so also the other brethren.

                          3. During the entire grace after meals, the head should be bare, except while the “Miserere” is said.

                          V. In Procession:

                          1. In all processions held within the church the head should be uncovered.

                          2. In all processions held without the church, custom should be our guide.

                          3. In processions of the Blessed Sacrament, the head should always be uncovered.

                          4. Whenever we pass the principal images of the Crucifixion, the Blessed Virgin, St. Dominic, or other saints, we should at least uncover the head as a sign of reverence.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
                            Being only tangentially involved in our local monastic formation process, I
                            can only say that it was thoroughly done over the last year (including
                            input from our diocesan bishop and a retired bishop who had been a monastic
                            and of course clear participation by our rector). Of course I have questions
                            and may or may not have opted to come down in the direction that they did,
                            but will leave it at that. The prime lay mover in this process is the one
                            who recently asked me to check into the rubrical matter including the
                            "why" factor.

                            David

                            In a message dated 8/20/2010 1:12:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                            wrknowles@... writes:

                            David,

                            Since I'm not there, I can't say anything about what God is calling your
                            community to do/be, but I wonder about the creation of a benedictine-ish
                            community in the heart of one of the busiest cities in the world. After
                            all, the whole trajectory of Anthony-John Cassian-The Master-Benedict is
                            rural.

                            There are other streams within the great tradition of monasticism, many
                            much more suited to the opus dei within an urban situation, and as an
                            Anglican community, you are free to explore them, rather than simply to
                            re-create a romantic interpretation of 19th- and 20th-century European
                            communities. I'd strongly suggest that you explore the whole canonic
                            tradition based on St. Augustine's "rules," in particular the rules of
                            10th-13th-century Britain.

                            These rules are not trapped in the "seven historic offices," which of
                            course are really "two historic offices" or "eight historic offices" or
                            any other number that one might choose to look for an historic precedent.

                            I haven't studied the Communities of Jerusalem in any great detail (I'm
                            sure Doug has much more info than I do), but from what little I know of
                            them, it seems that they have followed this trajectory of urban
                            monasticism rather than the benedictine way. As a result, I think they
                            follow a two-office plus eucharist (what has been called the "cathedral"
                            as apposed to the "monastic") ordo. As a result, if you try to combine
                            these two ways, you are building an almost ontological conflict into
                            your rule of life--which isn't a particularly good idea.

                            And on a somewhat more humorous vein, wouldn't a cowl in a Washington,DC
                            summer be an extraordinary and inappropriate penance--something worse
                            than a hair shirt, but less than a whip?

                            Walt Knowles
                            Kirkland, WA

                            On 08/20/2010 08:50 AM, dlewisaao@... wrote:
                            > I'm not certain but suspect it would be the Monastic or Anglican Breviary
                            > since they plan to do all seven of the historic offices. They plan to
                            > model after the Holy Rules of St Benedict and the Communities of
                            Jerusalem (the
                            > later can be found at St-Gervais in Paris and Montreal).
                            >
                            > David

                          • Michael Thannisch
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
                              When I was with the Order of the Holy Family (Benedictine and Episcopal), we removed our cowls at the beginning of the office (if we had them on) and replaced them at the end of the office if it were time of silence.  It's been a long time now, but as I recall silence lasted from bedtime until terce, and from vespers to compline (although I might not be remembering correctly.  We wore our cowls during silence and took them off for non-silence and offices.  We used the 1979 BCP

                              Shalom b'Yeshua haMoshiach   +Mar Michael Abportus mjthannisch@... Pastor, Congregation Benim Avraham http://www.freewebs.com/childrenofabraham/ http://www.facebook.com/people/Michael-Joe-Thannisch/1173094868 204 Sylvan Ave.
                              La Porte, TX 77571 281-867-9081 (home)
                              281-867-0335 (office)
                              832-266-8153 (mobile)
                              281-867-0576 (fax)