Re: [liturgy-l] Rubrics for monastics

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
      Wow! This is a development I'll be following with much interest. I'll
      look for any such instructions and make sure you get access to them.

      --
      Scott R. Knitter
      Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
        I have a link to a site about cowls. I'll post it when I'm at my computer.

        Sandford MacLean

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
          I'm not certain but suspect it would be the Monastic or Anglican Breviary
          since they plan to do all seven of the historic offices. They plan to
          model after the Holy Rules of St Benedict and the Communities of Jerusalem (the
          later can be found at St-Gervais in Paris and Montreal).

          David

          In a message dated 8/20/2010 11:42:52 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          scottknitter@... writes:

          What books will be used for the "traditional daily offices"? Monastic
          Breviary, or Anglican Breviary, or an adaptation of BCP 1979 offices?

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
            On 8/20/10 11:35 AM, "dlewisaao@..." <dlewisaao@...> wrote:

            They are trying to find a resource that sets for the rubrics within each
            office, e.g., when they put on and take down their cowls during Mattins,
            and the "why" (history?) of such instructions.

            I think the type of heating system influenced the custom.

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
              Thank you (and also thank you, Scott).

              David

              David

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
                I've found the link on your parish's site:

                http://www.stpauls-kst.com/benedictine-community

                Quite exciting to read about this and the inspiration from the St.
                Gervais community.

                The monks at St. Gregory's Abbey in Three Rivers wear cowls, at least
                for some Offices, and could probably advise about the ceremonial and
                history. Abbot Andrew OSB:

                abbot@...

                The Scottish Rite "Cathedral" here in Chicago is up for sale, and I've
                had daydreams about the Communities of Jerusalem taking it over and
                gracing Chicago's Near North Side with their presence and witness.
                I've also daydreamed about our parish taking over the building, but
                we've got plenty going on where we are, not far from there. :)

                http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/00/18/36/e2/scottish-rite-cathedral.jpg

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
                  On 8/20/10 11:50 AM, "dlewisaao@..." <dlewisaao@...> wrote:

                  They plan to model after the Holy Rules of St Benedict and the Communities
                  of Jerusalem (the later can be found at St-Gervais in Paris and Montreal).

                  The Jerusalem community uses a modern adaptation of the Roman rite with
                  Byzantine influence which is very different from traditional 7-hour
                  Benedictine office. They have an eight-week cycle of the psalms, there is
                  only matins and vespers and daily mass (Saturday vigil office), extra OT and
                  NT canticles, and many Byzantine features such as the proclamation of the
                  day or feast (like the Exultet). Any of the Anglican breviaries would be
                  useless for their ordo.

                  However, the Jesusalem rite is perfect for parishes as it assumes that lay
                  people will come daily and sing the office. The music is in a harmonized
                  neo-Byzantine style with very little Gregorian chant. I spent a year
                  attending St. Jean-de-Malte in Aix-en-Provence and fell in love with this
                  arrangement of the office. You can see the office from St. Gervais
                  live-streamed at http://www.ktotv.com/

                  It would be a HUGE mistake to try to force this pastoral approach to a
                  lay-laid daily office into a traditional Benedictine order.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
                    Thanks. David

                  • Walter Knowles
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
                      David,

                      Since I'm not there, I can't say anything about what God is calling your
                      community to do/be, but I wonder about the creation of a benedictine-ish
                      community in the heart of one of the busiest cities in the world. After
                      all, the whole trajectory of Anthony-John Cassian-The Master-Benedict is
                      rural.

                      There are other streams within the great tradition of monasticism, many
                      much more suited to the opus dei within an urban situation, and as an
                      Anglican community, you are free to explore them, rather than simply to
                      re-create a romantic interpretation of 19th- and 20th-century European
                      communities. I'd strongly suggest that you explore the whole canonic
                      tradition based on St. Augustine's "rules," in particular the rules of
                      10th-13th-century Britain.

                      These rules are not trapped in the "seven historic offices," which of
                      course are really "two historic offices" or "eight historic offices" or
                      any other number that one might choose to look for an historic precedent.

                      I haven't studied the Communities of Jerusalem in any great detail (I'm
                      sure Doug has much more info than I do), but from what little I know of
                      them, it seems that they have followed this trajectory of urban
                      monasticism rather than the benedictine way. As a result, I think they
                      follow a two-office plus eucharist (what has been called the "cathedral"
                      as apposed to the "monastic") ordo. As a result, if you try to combine
                      these two ways, you are building an almost ontological conflict into
                      your rule of life--which isn't a particularly good idea.

                      And on a somewhat more humorous vein, wouldn't a cowl in a Washington,DC
                      summer be an extraordinary and inappropriate penance--something worse
                      than a hair shirt, but less than a whip?

                      Walt Knowles
                      Kirkland, WA

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
                        Here's a Benedictine community called to and thriving in the city:

                        http://chicagomonk.org/

                        They were given a church that was slated to be closed: Immaculate
                        Heart of Mary, Bridgeport.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
                          Interesting that the Chicago monks also took the Communities of
                          Jerusalem as a model and even used their liturgy for a time:

                          http://chicagomonk.org/?page_id=80

                          I was wrong on the name of the church: it was Immaculate Conception.

                          I've visited for Vespers on two or three occasions. It was chanted
                          beautifully. The prior is working on a new set of office books,
                          basically an English version of the new Antiphonale Monasticum.

                          They used to broadcast all of their offices via the Internet, but they
                          either had a technical problem they decided not to fix (cost?), or it
                          became too much of a distraction to keep it going. I remember arising
                          early to hear them shuffle into the church and chant Vigils.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
                            David,
                            The link is to a site that provides a pamphlet on Dominican Choir rubrics.
                            http://www.op-stjoseph.org/preaching/dominican_rite/resources/
                            Here is the relevant part regarding cowls:

                            THE CAPUCE

                            When the Capuce Is Worn by Dominican Friars

                            As a general rule, the Capuce should cover the head whenever we are in Choir or in public.

                            I. In the Office and Mass the head should be uncovered:

                            1. In the beginning of every

                            Hour up to the “sicut erat”of the first “Gloria Patri” of the same.

                            2. During the Canticles: “Magnificat,” “Benedictus” and “Nunc Dimittis” . with their respective Antiphons.

                            3. When the Preces are said; likewise, the “Kyrie Eleison,” etc., and the “Pater Noster” with its Versicles and prayers.

                            4. At every “Dominus vobiscum,” Collect, and Memory.

                            5. Whenever the “Salve Regina” is said; when said after the Hours, the head is kept uncovered until the end of Office.

                            II. Moreover, the head should be uncovered:

                            1. Whenever the Venia is made.

                            2. Whenever the Prostration on the Form is made, except: (1) in the Litany of the Saints from the invocation“SanctaMaria,”inclusively, to the “Agnus Dei;” (2) in the Mass, before and after the Elevation; (3) when the Penitential Psalms are recited.

                            3. Whenever the rubrics direct the brethren to kneel, except: (1) during the part of the Litany of the Saints before mentioned; (2) during Low Mass; (3) during mental prayer.

                            4. Whenever a Genuflection is made. (The priest and major ministers upon their first approach to the altar and their last departure from it, are excepted.)

                            5. Whenever a Profound

                            Inclination is made: (Exception as above.) When making the Medium Inclination the head is not uncovered unless a special.

                            rubric directs.

                            6. Whenever an Inclination of the Head is made, except: (1) when the name of Jesus, of Mary, or of St. Dominic, is pronounced; (2) at every “Gloria Patri” in the Office of the Blessed Virgin, recited

                            in the Dormitory; likewise at every “Gloria. Patti” in the Divine Office recited in private.

                            7. Whenever the Gospel is read.

                            8. In the Litany of the Saints said either after Compline or before Mass, from the beginning to the words “Sancta Maria,” inclusive,

                            and from the “Agnus Dei” to the end.

                            9. In High Mass while the celebrant intones the “Gloria in Excelsis” and the “Credo.”

                            10. During the Elevation in the Mass, and whenever the

                            Blessed Sacrament is exposed for any reason whatever.

                            11. Whenever in Choir or Chapter any one reads or intones anything. If more than one stand before the lectern

                            while anything is being intoned, they only, who actually intone, uncover the head.

                            III. In Chapter:

                            The brethren in Chapter remain with bared heads after the reading of the Martyrology, from the Pretiosa to the end, except during the

                            reading of the Constitutions, if they be read, and while they recite the Psalms “Ad te levavi” and “De profundis” for the benefactors, and whenever they sit down.

                            IV. At Table:

                            1. The head should be un covered during the blessing in the Refectory, and at the “De profundis” said before the blessing.

                            2. He who reads in the Refectory should have his head uncovered while he asks and receives the blessing, and in the beginning of the reading until the signal is given; so also the other brethren.

                            3. During the entire grace after meals, the head should be bare, except while the “Miserere” is said.

                            V. In Procession:

                            1. In all processions held within the church the head should be uncovered.

                            2. In all processions held without the church, custom should be our guide.

                            3. In processions of the Blessed Sacrament, the head should always be uncovered.

                            4. Whenever we pass the principal images of the Crucifixion, the Blessed Virgin, St. Dominic, or other saints, we should at least uncover the head as a sign of reverence.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
                              Being only tangentially involved in our local monastic formation process, I
                              can only say that it was thoroughly done over the last year (including
                              input from our diocesan bishop and a retired bishop who had been a monastic
                              and of course clear participation by our rector). Of course I have questions
                              and may or may not have opted to come down in the direction that they did,
                              but will leave it at that. The prime lay mover in this process is the one
                              who recently asked me to check into the rubrical matter including the
                              "why" factor.

                              David

                              In a message dated 8/20/2010 1:12:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                              wrknowles@... writes:

                              David,

                              Since I'm not there, I can't say anything about what God is calling your
                              community to do/be, but I wonder about the creation of a benedictine-ish
                              community in the heart of one of the busiest cities in the world. After
                              all, the whole trajectory of Anthony-John Cassian-The Master-Benedict is
                              rural.

                              There are other streams within the great tradition of monasticism, many
                              much more suited to the opus dei within an urban situation, and as an
                              Anglican community, you are free to explore them, rather than simply to
                              re-create a romantic interpretation of 19th- and 20th-century European
                              communities. I'd strongly suggest that you explore the whole canonic
                              tradition based on St. Augustine's "rules," in particular the rules of
                              10th-13th-century Britain.

                              These rules are not trapped in the "seven historic offices," which of
                              course are really "two historic offices" or "eight historic offices" or
                              any other number that one might choose to look for an historic precedent.

                              I haven't studied the Communities of Jerusalem in any great detail (I'm
                              sure Doug has much more info than I do), but from what little I know of
                              them, it seems that they have followed this trajectory of urban
                              monasticism rather than the benedictine way. As a result, I think they
                              follow a two-office plus eucharist (what has been called the "cathedral"
                              as apposed to the "monastic") ordo. As a result, if you try to combine
                              these two ways, you are building an almost ontological conflict into
                              your rule of life--which isn't a particularly good idea.

                              And on a somewhat more humorous vein, wouldn't a cowl in a Washington,DC
                              summer be an extraordinary and inappropriate penance--something worse
                              than a hair shirt, but less than a whip?

                              Walt Knowles
                              Kirkland, WA

                              On 08/20/2010 08:50 AM, dlewisaao@... wrote:
                              > I'm not certain but suspect it would be the Monastic or Anglican Breviary
                              > since they plan to do all seven of the historic offices. They plan to
                              > model after the Holy Rules of St Benedict and the Communities of
                              Jerusalem (the
                              > later can be found at St-Gervais in Paris and Montreal).
                              >
                              > David

                            • Michael Thannisch
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 20, 2010
                                When I was with the Order of the Holy Family (Benedictine and Episcopal), we removed our cowls at the beginning of the office (if we had them on) and replaced them at the end of the office if it were time of silence.  It's been a long time now, but as I recall silence lasted from bedtime until terce, and from vespers to compline (although I might not be remembering correctly.  We wore our cowls during silence and took them off for non-silence and offices.  We used the 1979 BCP

                                Shalom b'Yeshua haMoshiach   +Mar Michael Abportus mjthannisch@... Pastor, Congregation Benim Avraham http://www.freewebs.com/childrenofabraham/ http://www.facebook.com/people/Michael-Joe-Thannisch/1173094868 204 Sylvan Ave.
                                La Porte, TX 77571 281-867-9081 (home)
                                281-867-0335 (office)
                                832-266-8153 (mobile)
                                281-867-0576 (fax)