Re: [liturgy-l] Ordination vesture

  • Michael Thannisch
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 30, 2010
      In the US Episcopal.   the most common today would be to be ordained in alb and stole over the left shoulder.

      Shalom b'Yeshua haMoshiach   +Mar Michael Abportus mjthannisch@... Pastor, Congregation Benim Avraham http://www.freewebs.com/childrenofabraham/ http://www.facebook.com/people/Michael-Joe-Thannisch/1173094868 204 Sylvan Ave.
      La Porte, TX 77571 281-867-9081 (home)
      281-867-0335 (office)
      832-266-8153 (mobile)
      281-867-0576 (fax)

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2010
        In my diocese (Louisiana) the deacons are typically ordained in the
        cathedral, in groups, all in alb. After the ordination prayer they receive a
        stole and dalmatic. (The dalmatic was omitted for the last class of seven,
        because of the expense and rarity of the vestment.) We also used to present
        them with the book of gospels, in addition to the usual individual Bible,
        but that custom has apparently been dropped.

        Ormonde Plater

      • frpdr
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2010
          In the United Episcopal Church of North America the usual for ordinations to the diaconate is cassock and surplice or alb, with the candidate coming in with his stole over his arm. He is then vested with the stole after the laying on of hands but before the presentation of the Gospels.

          For priests the custom seems to be that they arrive vested in cassock and surplice or alb, and a stole worn deaconwise, and the stole is shifted to the priest position following the laying on of hands.

          There have been a couple of examples of priests being vested in chasuble, etc., at their ordinations, but this is not usual with us.

          (The Rt. Rev.) Peter D. Robinson, Bishop of the Missionary District of the West, UECNA.

        • priestly@batnet.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2010
            In the diocese of California it is alb, deacon's stole, and dalmatic.

            The Rev. Fr. Michael T. Hiller
            Phone: 415.468.1001
            Cell: 415.999.8606
            Email: priestly@...