Christ is risen in different languages

  • Ron Miller
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4 4:07 AM
      Christ is risen - Indeed he is risen -
      in different languages

      Albanian: Krishti Ungjall! Vertete Ungjall!
      Arabic: Al Maseeh Qam! Haqqan Qam!
      Armenian: Christos harjav i merelotz! Orhniale harutjun Christosi!
      Byelorussian: Khristos Uvoskros! Zaprowdu Uvoskros!
      Chinese: Helisituosi fuhuole! Queshi fuhuole!
      Coptic: Pikhirstof aftonf! Khen o methni aftonf!
      Czech: Kristus vstal zmrtvy'ch! Skutec ne vstal!
      Danish: Kristus er opstanden! Ja, sandelig opstanden!
      Dutch: Christus is opgestaan! Hij is waarlijk opgestaan!
      English: Christ is Risen! Indeed, He is Risen!
      Estonian: Kristus on surnuist ülestõusnud! Tõesti ülestõusnud!
      Finnish: Kristus nousi Kuolleista! Totisesti Nousi!
      French: Christ est Ressuscité! En Vérité, Il est Ressuscité!
      Gaelic: Erid Krist! G'deya! n erid she!
      Irish Gaelic: Tá Críosd ar éirigh! Go deimhin, tá e ar éirigh!
      Scots' Gaelic: Tha Crìosd air èiridh! Gu dearbh, tha e air èiridh!
      Georgian: Kriste aghsdga! Cheshmaritad aghsdga!
      Greek: Christos Anesti! Alithos Anesti!
      Hebrew: Ha Mashiyach qam! Ken hoo qam!
      Hungarian: Krisztus feltámadt! Valóban feltámadt!
      Italian: Cristo è risorto! È veramente risorto!
      Japanese: Harisutosu Fukkatsu! Jitsu Ni Fukkatsu!
      Latin: Christus resurrexit! Vere resurrexit!
      Norwegian: Kristus er oppstanden! Han er sannelig opstanden!
      Polish: Khristus Zmartvikstau! Zaiste Zmartvikstau!
      Portugese: Christo Ressuscitou! Em Verdade Ressuscitou!
      Rumanian: Hristos a Inviat! Adeverat a Inviat!
      Russian: Khristos voskres! Voistinu voskres!
      Serbian: Hristos Vaskrese! Vaistinu Vaskrese!
      Slavonic: Christos Voskrese! Voistinu Voskrese!
      Slovak: Kristus vstal zmr'tvych! Skutoc ne vstal!
      Spanish: Cristo ha resucitado! Verdaderamente ha resucitado!
      Sweedish: Kristus är upstånden! Ja, Han är sannerligen uppstånden!
      Syriac: Meshiha qam! Bashrira qam!
      Ukranian: Kristos Voskres! Voistinu voskres!
      Welsh: Atgyfododd Crist! Atgyfododd in wir!

      --
      Ron Miller (The Rev. Ronald H.) Baltimore, MD
      Every individual will receive from God the amount of indulgence he has himself given to his neighbor.
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4 1:41 PM
        I went down the list and tried pronouncing them as best I could.  When it came to the Slavic and Celtic languages, I didn't even try!

        The German, Dutch, and Scandinavian languages are similar, although the Swedish is a softer or less gutteral sound than the rest.  No Icelandic?  I'm not certified to speak Icelandic; they're very protective of their medieval Scandinavian language.  But it is:

        Kristur er upprisinn! Hann er vissulega upprisinn!

        Frank C. Senn

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4 9:07 PM
          The French version always bothers me, because it looks like "He is
          resuscitated!" which presents a theological problem, non? But
          obviously francophones aren't thinking CPR when they use the term.

          On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Frank Senn <fcsenn@...> wrote:
          > I went down the list and tried pronouncing them as best I could.  When it came to the Slavic and Celtic languages, I didn't even try!
          >
          > The German, Dutch, and Scandinavian languages are similar, although the Swedish is a softer or less gutteral sound than the rest.  No Icelandic?  I'm not certified to speak Icelandic; they're very protective of their medieval Scandinavian language.  But it is:
          >
          > Kristur er upprisinn! Hann er vissulega upprisinn!

          --
          Scott R. Knitter
          Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA