  • Rdr James
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2010
      This is from a conservative Anglican site.
      Enjoy!
      Rdr.James Morgan

      From the Do Not Take Yourself Too Seriously Department:
      Laodicean Church Releases New Hymnal

      Posted by Kendall Harmon

      http://www.kendallharmon.net/t19/index.php/t19/article/29175/
      Leaders of the Evangelical Laodicean Church in North America last week announced the publication of a new hymnal. "This is truly a hymnal for the new century," said Presiding Bishop Luke W. Arm. "This collection of hymns really captures the essence of our tradition," Bishop Arm explained. "At the core of our belief is the motto, 'Moderation in all things,' and that applies to our faith life as well. We just don't like to get carried away."

      When asked if the new hymnal will help the Laodicean Church attract new members, Bishop Arm replied, "People in today's society get kind of uncomfortable with too much talk about things like commitment and dedication. They'd much rather have a religion that they can turn on or off at will. Our church seeks to meet that need. This hymnal will help with that, I think." Editor in chief of the new hymnal, Priscilla ("Presh") S. Moment, explained some of the difficulty the committee had in choosing hymns. "Many of the old favourites just won't cut it among Laodiceans," said Moment. "We had to change a lot of the wording to make them fit with our style. We tried to incorporate some new songs into the book, but we had trouble finding Laodiceans interested in writing new music."

      The title of the new hymnal, Church Songs, was chosen very carefully, explained Moment. "We didn't want to turn anybody off with threatening words that no one understands any more like 'Worship' or 'Hymn.'"

      Here is a partial list of titles included in the new Laodicean hymnal:

      A Comfortable Mattress Is Our God
      Above Average Is Thy Faithfulness
      All Hail the Influence of Jesus' Name!
      Amazing Grace, How Interesting the Sound
      Be Thou My Hobby
      Blest Be the Tie That Doesn't Cramp My Style
      Go Tell it on the Speed Bump
      He's Quite a Bit to Me
      I Lay My Inappropriate Behaviours on Jesus
      I Love to Talk about Telling the Story
      I Surrender Some
      I'm Fairly Certain That My Redeemer Lives
      It Is My Secret What God Can Do
      Joyful, Joyful, We Kinda Like Thee
      Just as I Pretend to Be
      Just as I Am, with Lots of Excuses
      Lord, Keep Us Loosely Connected to Your Word
      My Hope Is Built on Nothing Much
      My Faith Looks Around for Thee
      O, God, Our Enabler in Ages past
      Oh, for a Couple of Tongues to Sing
      Oh, How I like Jesus
      Onward, Christian Reservists
      Pillow of Ages, Fluffed for Me
      Praise God from Whom All Affirmations Flow
      Self-Esteem to the World! The Lord Is Come
      Sit Up, Sit up for Jesus
      Special, Special, Special
      Spirit of the Living God, Fall Somewhere near Me
      Spirit of God, Descend upon Their Hearts
      Take My Life and Let Me Be
      There Is Scattered Cloudiness in My Soul Today
      There Shall Be Sprinkles of Blessings
      We Are Milling Around in the Light of God
      What an Acquaintance We Have in Jesus
      When Peace, like a Trickle
      When the Saints Go Sneaking in
      Where He Leads Me, I Will Consider Following

      From the COMMENTS:

      Chill Out, O King, Eternal
      Mosey on, Mosey on in Majesty
      One Sunny Afternoon (Instead of Forty Days and Forty Nights)
      I Suppose My Redeemer Liveth
      It is Moderately Okay with my Soul
      Sweet Fifteen Seconds of Prayer
      Pleasantly, Pleasantly We Think Well of Thee
      One of the Church's Foundations
      Jesus, Lamb of God, have M. . .actually, I'm Really Okay
      Jesus, I Barely Thought of Thee

      A Maze In Grass
      Venite Ignoramus (O Come Let Us Ignore Him)

      Amazing Grace who brought us snacks
      and made coffee in the hall!
      Decaf and creamer, sweet and low
      our sacraments for all!