Re: [liturgy-l] Lutheran Mass for Christmas

  • Dwight J. Penas
    Message 1 of 113 , Dec 1, 2009
      In some places I have worshiped, there is the "Entrance Processional" at the beginning and the "Recessing Processional" at the end. Except for my uncertainty as to "recessing" and "processing" at the same time, it was an effort to stick to high falutin' jargon, you must admit.

      Peace
      Dwight Penas
      Minneapolis
      ____________________________
      A baseball player who expects to excel in the game without adequate exercise of his body is no more ridiculous than the Christian who hopes to be able to act in the manner of Christ when put to the test without the appropriate exercise in godly living. -- Dallas Willard (1990)

      Message 113 of 113 , Dec 9, 2009
        Tom,
        I respect the thinking you've done on this--and the perspective from
        which you have done it; what I want to know is not "what you know" but
        rather "why you think you know it" or "where you got it from."

        That's not because I think you are wrong as much as it is an insatiable
        curiosity about how people have formed their ideas about how liturgy has
        been enacted over history--and to be honest, because I have axes of my
        own to grind.

        You are appear to be working from the received narrative, as presented
        to people who actually want to do liturgy, and particularly as you and I
        both learned that narrative in the heady days in the 10-15 years after
        Vatican II. Much of that narrative was constructed in response to
        particular questions and directives of that council. Great people, like
        Lucian Deiss or Joseph Geleneau, both of blessed memory, acted out their
        faith commitment in both practice and scholarship. Would that I could
        even hold a candle to their work.

        Neither you, nor I, nor anyone else alive today, has any direct
        knowledge of how early liturgy sounded, looked or felt. All we have are
        tantalizing hints out of which to construct images. As Roman Catholic
        liturgists (and those of us who are the students of--RC liturgists of
        that period), after the council, tried to work out how to do worship in
        continuity with the church of the past, they worked first of all from a
        faith commitment grounded in the actions of the council (i.e., they
        accepted Pius XII's reading of Prosper that the /lex credendi/
        determined /lex orandi/, even though it seems that /Sacrosanctum
        Concilium/ said otherwise). They then filled in their understanding of
        historical sources from that faith commitment--which, of course, was
        built on the scholarly work of Josef Jungmann, whose work was based on
        the faithfulness of the Benedictines at Maria Laach, whose faith was
        built on the scholarly work of .... until we get back to Moses, who got
        it straight from God ;-) ). They also filled in their readings of the
        past from the close fellowship of retreats in Benedictine communities.
        How do I read the evidence? Not nearly as well as they did, frankly, but
        from a different pedigree that intersects that conversation at many
        points. I don't share the faith commitment to the Magisterium and
        Council that Roman liturgists basically have. /Sacrosanctum /is an
        interesting statement of where my brothers (and not very many sisters)
        found themselves in 1962. The actions of the council are intriguing,
        valuable, and inspiring, but as an outsider, it seems to me that they
        would have been much more honest to have admitted that what they were
        doing was abrogating Trent and Vatican I, and finding common cause with
        the churches of the reformation--particularly as the cultures of
        northern europe diverged from those of southern europe in the late 15th
        and early 16th centuries. Because I come from a different perspective,
        my tendency is to fill in my blanks through experiences in my formation,
        and from the "Golden Age of All Liturgy--High Mass at St Mary
        Magdalene's, Toronto, Easter Sunday, 1974." ;-)

        So when I look at the early liturgy, I tend to look to people like Paul
        Bradshaw (/The Search for the Origins of Christian Worship/), Peter
        Jeffery (/Re-envisioning past musical culture/), Robert Taft (all kinds
        of stuff), Anton Baumstark (/Comparative Liturgy/) or even William
        Palmer (one of the founders of the Oxford movement, but also, I'd argue,
        the founder of the discipline of /Liturgiewissenschaft/), rather than
        even Jungmann or Dix. So I look at particularities (take a look at
        Michael Aune's articles in /Worship, /two years ago or the article in
        the last issue of /St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly/). But it's not
        just a head game. All of this for me is practical; it affects the way I
        celebrate mass, the way I choose music, the way I preach, and the way I
        pray.

        And when I poke you for "where does this idea come from," I'm not
        necessarily denying the idea, I'm asking where you got it. Your own
        experience is a great source. From my teachers is another great
        answer--though I'll probably ask where they got it from. But nobody can
        have read everything, but I'm willing to bet that the 450 members of
        this group /have/ probably ready everything--at least that is in
        English. This group has ruined my book budget more times than I care to
        admit. So be proud of what you've read and give it back. I want to know.
        This group is not composed of teachers and students (though we all
        should be doing both), but collaborators in our search to understand
        worship.

        Sometimes a question is just a question (to paraphrase a certain
        Viennese psychoanalyst). Where do the ideas of the warm little community
        in a house church come from? Where do the ideas of the kind of music
        that they sung come from? (there I will say that as one looks the early
        texts, almost all of the words used, most importantly "ode" and "psalm"
        are words that refer to solo or small ensemble performance rather than
        communal singing.) And should you find the questions obnoxious, cover
        it with charity, because I'm trying to share what it for me "the most
        fun I can have with my clothes on."

        Walt Knowles
        Berkeley, CA