Re: [liturgy-l] Varieties of Lutherans

  • Sean Ferrell
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2009
      Speaking of varieties of Lutherans, I shan't forget serving as
      Episcopal Chaplain at Michigan State University and being surprised to
      find I had brands of Lutheran colleagues who each has a chaplaincy-
      ELCA, LCMS, and WELS - a shocker after having moved from the south
      where one can be lucky to find more than one variety of Lutheran in a
      town.

      Sean+

      The Reverend Sean Ferrell, Rector

      Saint Luke's Episcopal Church
      Jackson, Tennessee

      On Aug 31, 2009, at 10:16 PM, Scott Knitter <scottknitter@...>
      wrote:

      > There's a biggish one in Lansing, Michigan, that runs a school and
      > probably still broadcasts its 8 a.m. service on the radio. I used to
      > listen while I got ready to go to my church. Always amazed me how the
      > organist at the time could play every stanza (of the sometimes 10 or
      > 12 stanzas of some of the hymns in The Lutheran Hymnal) with precisely
      > the same registration and tempo. The pastor's preaching style was a
      > bit hard to take, sort of a long harangue. I gather things have
      > lightened up a little since then, and they use the newer Christian
      > Worship hymnal.
      >
      > A dear friend who's a superb organist grew up in a small WELS church
      > near Lansing, and what I remember of it was a whole lot of very robust
      > singing by everyone present. And by robust I mean loud. :)
      >
      > On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Lewis
      > Whitaker<lhwhitaker@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Wow. I didn't know the WELS was so tiny. They've opened a parish
      > in my
      > > hometown, but I've not checked them out. I probably won't.
      >
      > --
      > Scott R. Knitter ‹(ô¿ô)›
      > Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA

    • John Schultz
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
        Another smallish one is the Anglo-Lutheran Catholic Church, which I
        believe uses one of the versions of the BCP, and seeks recognition from
        Rome.

        John Schultz

        Scott Knitter wrote:
        > There's a biggish one in Lansing, Michigan, that runs a school and
        > probably still broadcasts its 8 a.m. service on the radio. I used to
        > listen while I got ready to go to my church. Always amazed me how the
        > organist at the time could play every stanza (of the sometimes 10 or
        > 12 stanzas of some of the hymns in The Lutheran Hymnal) with precisely
        > the same registration and tempo. The pastor's preaching style was a
        > bit hard to take, sort of a long harangue. I gather things have
        > lightened up a little since then, and they use the newer Christian
        > Worship hymnal.
        >
        > A dear friend who's a superb organist grew up in a small WELS church
        > near Lansing, and what I remember of it was a whole lot of very robust
        > singing by everyone present. And by robust I mean loud. :)
        >
        > On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Lewis Whitaker<lhwhitaker@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Wow. I didn't know the WELS was so tiny. They've opened a parish in my
        >> hometown, but I've not checked them out. I probably won't.

      • PETER ROBINSON
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
          In the Arizona Tri-Cities where I live there are nine Lutheran churches for a population of a little bit over 100,000. These range in size from 120 to 1200 members. Each of the three cities has an ELCA, a LCMS, and a WELS. Around here Lutherans are probably the third of forth biggest grouping after Roman Catholics, Mormons, and possibly Baptists.

          Interestingly, there is still a little bit of a tendancy around here for people to gravitate to certain jurisdictions on the basis of ancestry. For example, there is a high proportion of Scandanavian names at the ELCA (ex-ALC) church in town, but the LCMS is rather flush with German surnames.

          Of course, the various Anglican/Episcopal churches tend to be heavy on people with English, Scots, or Irish ancestry.

          +Peter

          The Right Rev. Peter D. Robinson
          Rector: St Paul's Anglican Church, Prescott, AZ, & Bishop-Suffragan UECNA
          http://www.prescott-anglican.org

        • cantor03@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
            Minnesota and adjacent Western Wisconsin seem to be
            the epicenter for smaller Lutheran groups with long and
            varied histories:

            Evangelical Lutheran Synod:

            _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelical_Lutheran_Synod_
            (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelical_Lutheran_Synod)

            Church of the Lutheran Brethren of America:

            _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Lutheran_Brethren_of_America_
            (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Lutheran_Brethren_of_America)

            Church of the Lutheran Confession:

            _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CLC-logo.png_
            (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CLC-logo.png)

            The first two have Norwegian roots, and the CLC, German roots.

            All three small groups had parishes in Eau Claire, Wisconsin,
            a City where I lived for 50 years. The Church of the Lutheran
            Brethren of America is hardly recognizable as Lutheran, at least
            liturgically, and seems to resemble Baptist worship more than
            what I am used to calling Lutheran.

            David Strang.

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2009
              Then there are some of the contemporary Evangelical/Charismatic parishes
              within the Anglican Communion in the US (either Episcopal or Anglican Church
              of North America) whose worship uses the Prayer Book only incidentally and
              may come across as Misc Protestant. Plus various congregations in the
              United Methodist, Presbyterian, etc Churches that are into praise bands and
              choirs and the words of hymns projected onto a screen ...

              David