Re: Using a layman as liturgical deacon

  • dollpka
    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 22, 2009
      Do you actually have any examples of your claim below?
      Kenneth Doll

      --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Walt Knowles <wrknowles@...> wrote:

      There is _nothing_, including presidency at the eucharist and ordination, that lay persons within the context of (little-o) orthodox and (little-c) catholic belief and practice have not done, and done to the edification and building up of the church.

      > Walt Knowles
      > Berkeley, CA

    • Jan J.H.Hofland
      Message 39 of 39 , Aug 24, 2009
        Hi all,

        In the Reformed churches of The Netherlands, only candidate-ministers are
        ordained, by one (or more) ordained minister(s). When having accepted a call
        to another congregation, they are 'confirmed' (in their call to that
        congegration by God, through the people).

        The elders (presbyters) and deacons are not ordained but confirmed (see
        above) as office bearers and hence, with the minister(s), as members of the
        'consistory' (church council). Our Reformed churches also specify that
        assisting at the Lord's Supper and taking up the collection _is_ intrinsic
        to the office of deacon. The elders have a ruling and pastoral task, the
        deacons a (practical) helping task, both in liturgy and pastorate. Nowadays,
        deacons are allowed to vote as to decisions of church council so that in
        practice they also rule. In spite of Reformed polity, the office of deacon
        is still regarded by some people as inferior to the office as elder,
        unfortunately.

        Practically, all of the above is the same in U.S. Reformed denominations.
        One difference, what we in The Netherlands call 'confirmation', the U.S.
        Reformed denominations call 'installation'.

        Jan