Re: [liturgy-l] Chapels in Secular Hospitals - Photos?

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
      Not to be confused with a tabernacle that I once saw in a RC parish in
      Baltimore where one side had a cross on it but then, once a button was pushed,
      it turned 180 degrees and presented the other side with a curtain and
      little electric lightbulbs around the opening for use for Benediction/Exposition

      In a message dated 7/22/2009 8:54:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      cowling.douglas@... writes:

      On 7/22/09 8:07 PM, "Pastor Art Hebbeler" <pastor@...>
      wrote:

      > Check out any of the military installation chapels that aren't designated
      > for any given group (Roman Catholic, Jewish most commonly). They are, as
      the
      > AF chaplains I know call them "purple" (a takeoff on the DoD term "purple
      > suit" to mean not service-specific)

      Isn't there an American military chapel where the front is on a giant
      turntable and can be spun to be a synagoge, Catholic church or Protestant
      church?

      **************What's for dinner tonight? Find quick and easy dinner ideas
      for any occasion.
      (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?ncid=emlcntusfood00000009)

    • rhawkjmt@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
        Oy v'oy! <G>
        J. Michael Thompson
        Pittsburgh, PA

        In a message dated 7/22/2009 9:19:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        dlewisaao@... writes:

        Not to be confused with a tabernacle that I once saw in a RC parish in
        Baltimore where one side had a cross on it but then, once a button was
        pushed,
        it turned 180 degrees and presented the other side with a curtain and
        little electric lightbulbs around the opening for use for
        Benediction/little elec

        (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?ncid=emlcntusfood00000008)

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
          On 7/22/09 9:17 PM, "dlewisaao@..." <dlewisaao@...> wrote:

          > Not to be confused with a tabernacle that I once saw in a RC parish in
          > Baltimore where one side had a cross on it but then, once a button was pushed,
          > it turned 180 degrees and presented the other side with a curtain and
          > little electric lightbulbs around the opening for use for
          > Benediction/Exposition

          The old rubrics said that a light could not be placed behind a monstrance in
          order to make the Host appear luminescent. I think that came out at the same
          time as the monitum about depicting Mary as Mother of the Eucharist: the
          Virgin could not be shown wearing eucharistic vestments and -- wait for it!
          -- the tabernacle could not be contained within a statue of the Virgin with
          the doors in the womb area.

        • rhawkjmt@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
            Obviously, correct dogma does not, in any way, guarantee decent taste.
            JMT

            In a message dated 7/22/2009 9:35:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
              You mean like this? This is at St Stanislaus Kostka, Chicago...at one
              time the largest RC parish in the nation (world?), with 40,000+
              parishioners:

              http://www.amothersplea.org/

              It's between the main versus-populum altar and the old high altar. I
              think it's supposed to move into a new perpetual-adoration chapel when
              that's finished.

              --
              Scott R. Knitter
              Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
                Wow! Love the red robe and Astarte moon!

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
                  Quite pagan, isn't it!

                  Lew

                  On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
                    This page gives the description...Go ahead and click her
                    midsection/lunette/whatever.

                    http://www.amillionsouls.com/

                    On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 9:26 PM, Douglas
                    Cowling<cowling.douglas@...> wrote:

                    > Wow!  Love the red robe and Astarte moon!

                    --
                    Scott R. Knitter
                    Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA
                  • Tom Poelker
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
                      You might also look for examples of military chapels and see if DoD has
                      their expectations/regulations for interfaith chapels on line.
                      *

                      Tom Poelker
                      St. Louis. Missouri
                      USA

                      /-- Do all the easy nice things you can.
                      It?s nice to see people smile,
                      and it?s good practice. --/

                      *

                      Father Robert Lyons, SST wrote:

                      > Friends,
                      >
                      > Our hospital is planning to build a new facility (pending a public
                      > bond issue), and we are doing detailed planning to facilitate the
                      > preparation of construction prints. I had the chance to review
                      > Chaplaincy related items recently, including our Sanctuary/Chapel.
                      >
                      > As a secular hospital, the facility needs to be open to all, while
                      > being readily usable for sectarian worship.
                      >
                      > Does anyone have any photos of non-sectarian hospital chapels that
                      > they could either upload to the list or share with me by e-mail for my
                      > thinking ahead of my next meeting with the architects?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Rob+

                    • Tom Poelker
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
                        That's disgusting!
                        *

                        dlewisaao@... wrote:

                        > Not to be confused with a tabernacle that I once saw in a RC parish in
                        > Baltimore where one side had a cross on it but then, once a button was
                        > pushed,
                        > it turned 180 degrees and presented the other side with a curtain and
                        > little electric lightbulbs around the opening for use for
                        > Benediction/Exposition
                        >

                        > In a message dated 7/22/2009 8:54:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                        > cowling.douglas@... <mailto:cowling.douglas%40gmail.com> writes:
                        >
                        > On 7/22/09 8:07 PM, "Pastor Art Hebbeler" <pastor@...
                        > <mailto:pastor%40augsburgacademy.net>>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        > > Check out any of the military installation chapels that aren't
                        > designated
                        > > for any given group (Roman Catholic, Jewish most commonly). They
                        > are, as
                        > the
                        > > AF chaplains I know call them "purple" (a takeoff on the DoD term
                        > "purple
                        > > suit" to mean not service-specific)
                        >
                        > Isn't there an American military chapel where the front is on a giant
                        > turntable and can be spun to be a synagoge, Catholic church or Protestant
                        > church?
                        >
                        > Doug Cowling
                        > Director of Music
                        > St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
                        > Toronto

                        > To write to the moderators, please email:
                        > liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.comYahoo
                        > <mailto:liturgy-l-owner%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>! Groups Links
                        >
                        > **************What's for dinner tonight? Find quick and easy dinner ideas
                        > for any occasion.
                        > (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?ncid=emlcntusfood00000009
                        > <http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?ncid=emlcntusfood00000009>)

                      • Margaret metcalf
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
                          You might try checking with the International Association of Civilian Aviation Chaplains about airport chapels.
                          Also, try looking up the various seafarer's.seaman centers and their chaplains.
                          The Rev Bob Wells, an Episcopal chaplain, formerly a Baptist preacher, was assigned two different ministries
                          in Galveston in years past. He has experience with the Univ of Texas hospital there, at the time that the state of
                          Texas did not allow state institutions to have chapels of any kind, and what happened to prompt them to allow
                          them in state hospitals.

                          Peggy Metcalf
                          Diocese of Texas, Episcopal

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
                            A refuge for all religions
                            In good times and in bad, the airports’ interfaith chapels are providing comfort and solace to travelers of all religious faiths
                            Houston Airport System
                            December 7, 2006

                            Whether it is to console a passenger in a time of sorrow or just to
                            offer a quiet place to practice their religion, the Interfaith Chapels
                            at Houston’s airports have been fulfilling the mission of providing
                            peace and solitude to millions of passengers for over 30 years now.
                            Each year, more than 48 million people fly through George Bush
                            Intercontinental (IAH) and William P. Hobby (HOU) airports on their way
                            to destinations across the globe. With so many passengers coming
                            through the airports everyday, providing a non-denominational chapel
                            that could provide comfort, mediation, worship and aid for the
                            traveling public and the airport community was a matter of necessity.
                            That is the mission that Executive Chaplain, Brett Jones and airport chapel volunteers strive to accomplish each day.
                            “We are there when tragedy happens (at the airport),” said Jones.
                            “We meet people at the gates with good news – sometimes with bad news.”
                            Whether the news has been good or bad, the airport chapels have
                            provided a place of refuge for thousands of travelers over the decades.
                            The chapels have also been witness to multiple weddings and memorial
                            services, which Chaplain Jones has celebrated over the past eight
                            years.
                            The first Houston airport chapel opened in 1969 at Bush Airport to
                            serve travelers and airport employees. In 2005, William P. Hobby
                            airport (HOU) followed in IAH’s footsteps by inaugurating an Interfaith
                            Chapel at its facilities.
                            Both chapels are part of the internationally recognized
                            International Association of Civil Aviation Chaplains (IACAAC). Through
                            this organization, airport chaplains representing many religious faiths
                            serve at airport chapels all over the world.
                            So far, the response from travelers and airport employees has been
                            extraordinary. According to Jones, on a daily basis, an average of 132
                            airport employees and 238 travelers visit the chapels.

                            © Houston Airport System
                            The chapels are a place for universal worship.
                            “It’s awesome. There is a sign-in book that is set-up (at each
                            chapel) in our visitor reception area that I have had for years,” he
                            said. “Page after page, people thank us for having a place to meditate
                            or a place to pray. They thank us for caring.”
                            Religious leaders across Houston agree that having a
                            non-denominational chapel in an airport environment helps to provide a
                            quiet place for prayer and/or meditation. For them, the importance of
                            recognizing each passenger’s right to their own personal beliefs is
                            very important.
                            Ron Nissen is the pastor of Elim Church, a non-denominational church
                            in Houston; he says his church is not just about having one type of
                            religious group but about offering moral support to everyone –
                            regardless of their personal backgrounds. No place is this more
                            important than in the fourth-largest city in the United States, Nissen
                            said.
                            “It is very important to have a place for people of all faiths to be
                            able to spend some time and pray or meditate and in a public place like
                            (the airport) - it’s a blessing to all people,” he added.
                            According to the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau, in
                            2004, 31 million people came to Houston as visitors. The majority of
                            those individuals came through the airports. Jones says his mission is
                            making sure that all passengers know that Houston cares.
                            “(Having the chapels) shows that Houston really does care about all
                            faiths and all people, and that we value every person that comes
                            through our doors at the airport,” he said. Rodwan Saleh, who presides
                            over the Islamic Society of Greater Houston (ISGH), concurred with
                            Jones and Nissen.
                            “To have a non-denominational chapel (at the airport) is a great
                            idea. This is a country that accommodate all religions and to have (the
                            chapels) at the airport it’s a good gesture to everyone,” he said. “It
                            shows that (Houston) is sensitive to other religions and that we are
                            accommodating at the same time.”
                            Having a place to pray is of particular significance to the Islamic
                            community, Saleh noted, because Muslims pray several times throughout
                            the day.
                            “Having the chapels where (people) are waiting at the terminals for
                            connecting flights is a great thing,” he added. “Muslims pray five
                            times a day and to have a readily available chapel for them to go into
                            – there it is a great thing that the City of Houston is providing.”
                            Joan O’Lry, pastoral assistant at St. Anne’s Catholic Church, says
                            some people who come through the airports maybe traveling in a critical
                            or exciting time. During these trying times, for some people, she
                            added, having a place to gather their thoughts and connecting with
                            their religious beliefs is important.
                            “(Some travelers) are worried or nervous and maybe going to a sad
                            event like a funeral, or happy events and the chapels (at the airport)
                            provide a wonderful opportunity to have a time of reflection,” O’Lry
                            expressed.
                            With more than 90 languages spoken throughout the Houston area,
                            Chaplin Jones says the airport chapels are living proof that people do
                            not have to be antagonistic toward other beliefs.
                            “People (of different) religions use our chapels and they exist
                            together very well,” he explained. “We can have a Christian praying on
                            one side of the room and a Muslim praying on the other side of the
                            room.”
                            Through their annual charity golf tournament, the Houston Airport
                            System’s Interfaith Chapels have donated more than $137,000 to local
                            communities over the past six years.
                            Remembering the recent National Day of Prayer, Jones says he wishes
                            all people, of all religions, could come together as they did that day.
                            “On that day, we had hundreds and hundreds of people come into the
                            chapels,” Jones recalled. “There were Buddhists, Christians, Catholics,
                            Muslims; you name it, they were there. There weren’t any conflicts -
                            all that stuff stays outside.”
                            Copyright © 2006 - Houston Airport System
                            Copyright © 2004-2009 - Houston Airport System.C:41819|1906D1934|257
                            All rights reserved | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
                            Comments or Questions: Comment Form or Email Us
                            Designed by Derek Co

                            ________________________________
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
                              Doubtless not the only one, but the (and I do mean "THE") chapel at NAF, El
                              Centro, CA back in the 80's (it may well have been replaced by now since it
                              was WW2 construction) had a three-sided turntable that was Roman Catholic,
                              generic Protestant, and Jewish depending on which side was facing the
                              congregation.

                              In omnibus pax,

                              George Carlson

                              LtCol, USMC(Ret)

                              _____

                              > In a message dated 7/22/2009 8:54:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                              > cowling.douglas@ <mailto:cowling.douglas%40gmail.com> gmail.com
                              <mailto:cowling.douglas%40gmail.com> writes:

                              > Isn't there an American military chapel where the front is on a giant
                              > turntable and can be spun to be a synagoge, Catholic church or Protestant
                              > church?

                              05:59:00

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 23, 2009
                                Yes. In recent years they have replaced the strange tabernacle with a
                                standard one that does not turn, has a curtain and door in the usual location
                                and does not have a horseshoe of lights.

                                David

                                In a message dated 7/22/2009 11:46:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                TomPoelker@... writes:

                                That's disgusting!
                                *

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 23, 2009
                                  I think some of those electric-light displays date back to when that
                                  was a new technology. There's a church in Detroit that is still
                                  festooned with electric lights that outline most surfaces...in the
                                  context, it's neat, but in the larger world, it's bizarre-looking.

                                  Scott, whose church still bears vestiges of gas-lighting days (the
                                  capped ends of pipes are painted the same as the bricks surrounding
                                  them, but they're still visible).

                                • cantor03@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 23, 2009
                                    The VA Medical Center where I work has a rather nice Chapel
                                    used daily for a RC Liturgy, and periodically for other groups.
                                    There is a reredos consisting of (1) a plain "Protestant" cross;
                                    (2) a crucifix for the RC's; (3) an Orthodox cross; and (4) a
                                    Star of David.

                                    Since this area has an extremely low Moslem population, there
                                    has not, as yet, appeared an Islamic symbol [? a crescent]
                                    but in the fullness of time, that may be, as well.

                                    David Strang.

                                    Yes. In recent years they have replaced the strange tabernacle with a
                                    standard one that does not turn, has a curtain and door in the usual location
                                    and does not have a horseshoe of lights.

                                    David

                                    In a message dated 7/22/2009 11:46:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                    TomPoelker@... writes:

                                    That's disgusting!
                                    *

                                    dlewisaao@... wrote:

                                    > Not to be confused with a tabernacle that I once saw in a RC parish in
                                    > Baltimore where one side had a cross on it but then, once a button was
                                    > pushed,
                                    > it turned 180 degrees and presented the other side with a curtain and
                                    > little electric lightbulbs around the opening for use for
                                    > Benediction/Exposition
                                    >

                                    > In a message dated 7/22/2009 8:54:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                    > cowling.douglas@... <mailto:cowling.douglas%40gmail.com> writes:
                                    >
                                    > On 7/22/09 8:07 PM, "Pastor Art Hebbeler" <pastor@...
                                    > <mailto:pastor%40augsburgacademy.net>>
                                    > wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Check out any of the military installation chapels that aren't
                                    > designated
                                    > > for any given group (Roman Catholic, Jewish most commonly). They
                                    > are, as
                                    > the
                                    > > AF chaplains I know call them "purple" (a takeoff on the DoD term
                                    > "purple
                                    > > suit" to mean not service-specific)
                                    >
                                    > Isn't there an American military chapel where the front is on a giant
                                    > turntable and can be spun to be a synagoge, Catholic church or Protestant
                                    > church?
                                    >
                                    > Doug Cowling
                                    > Director of Music
                                    > St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
                                    > Toronto

                                    > To write to the moderators, please email:
                                    > liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.comYahoo
                                    > <mailto:liturgy-l-owner%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>! Groups Links
                                    >
                                    > **************What's for dinner tonight? Find quick and easy dinner ideas
                                    > for any occasion.
                                    > (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?ncid=emlcntusfood00000009
                                    > <http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?ncid=emlcntusfood00000009>)

                                    **************What's for dinner tonight? Find quick and easy dinner ideas
                                    for any occasion.
                                    (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?ncid=emlcntusfood00000009)

                                  • James Morgan
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 30, 2009
                                      Aha! Technology meets piety!
                                      Rdr. James

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 30, 2009
                                        No,it is the Theotokos of the Sign, in Western garb, silly!
                                        Rdr James
                                        Oly WA (only gnostic new rite Catholics here, just walk on, don't look at the carnage....)

                                        --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Lewis Whitaker <lhwhitaker@...> wrote:

                                        > Quite pagan, isn't it!
                                        >
                                        > Lew
                                        >

                                        > On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...
                                        > > wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > Wow! Love the red robe and Astarte moon!
                                        > >
                                        > > On 7/22/09 9:57 PM, "Scott Knitter" <scottknitter@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > > You mean like this? This is at St Stanislaus Kostka, Chicago...at one
                                        > > > time the largest RC parish in the nation (world?), with 40,000+
                                        > > > parishioners:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > http://www.amothersplea.org/
                                        > > >
                                        > > > It's between the main versus-populum altar and the old high altar. I
                                        > > > think it's supposed to move into a new perpetual-adoration chapel when
                                        > > > that's finished.

                                        > > monstrance in
                                        > > same
                                        > > it!