Re: [liturgy-l] Chapels in Secular Hospitals - Photos?

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
      On 7/22/09 8:07 PM, "Pastor Art Hebbeler" <pastor@...>
      wrote:

      > Check out any of the military installation chapels that aren't designated
      > for any given group (Roman Catholic, Jewish most commonly). They are, as the
      > AF chaplains I know call them "purple" (a takeoff on the DoD term "purple
      > suit" to mean not service-specific)

      Isn't there an American military chapel where the front is on a giant
      turntable and can be spun to be a synagoge, Catholic church or Protestant
      church?

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
        Not to be confused with a tabernacle that I once saw in a RC parish in
        Baltimore where one side had a cross on it but then, once a button was pushed,
        it turned 180 degrees and presented the other side with a curtain and
        little electric lightbulbs around the opening for use for Benediction/Exposition

        wrote:

        > Check out any of the military installation chapels that aren't designated
        > for any given group (Roman Catholic, Jewish most commonly). They are, as
        the
        > AF chaplains I know call them "purple" (a takeoff on the DoD term "purple
        > suit" to mean not service-specific)

        Isn't there an American military chapel where the front is on a giant
        turntable and can be spun to be a synagoge, Catholic church or Protestant
        church?

        **************What's for dinner tonight? Find quick and easy dinner ideas
        for any occasion.
        (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?ncid=emlcntusfood00000009)

      • rhawkjmt@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
          Oy v'oy! <G>
          J. Michael Thompson
          Pittsburgh, PA

          In a message dated 7/22/2009 9:19:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          dlewisaao@... writes:

          Not to be confused with a tabernacle that I once saw in a RC parish in
          Baltimore where one side had a cross on it but then, once a button was
          pushed,
          it turned 180 degrees and presented the other side with a curtain and
          little electric lightbulbs around the opening for use for
          Benediction/little elec

          (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?ncid=emlcntusfood00000008)

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
            On 7/22/09 9:17 PM, "dlewisaao@..." <dlewisaao@...> wrote:

            > Not to be confused with a tabernacle that I once saw in a RC parish in
            > Baltimore where one side had a cross on it but then, once a button was pushed,
            > it turned 180 degrees and presented the other side with a curtain and
            > little electric lightbulbs around the opening for use for
            > Benediction/Exposition

            The old rubrics said that a light could not be placed behind a monstrance in
            order to make the Host appear luminescent. I think that came out at the same
            time as the monitum about depicting Mary as Mother of the Eucharist: the
            Virgin could not be shown wearing eucharistic vestments and -- wait for it!
            -- the tabernacle could not be contained within a statue of the Virgin with
            the doors in the womb area.

          • rhawkjmt@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
              Obviously, correct dogma does not, in any way, guarantee decent taste.
              JMT

              In a message dated 7/22/2009 9:35:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
                You mean like this? This is at St Stanislaus Kostka, Chicago...at one
                time the largest RC parish in the nation (world?), with 40,000+
                parishioners:

                http://www.amothersplea.org/

                It's between the main versus-populum altar and the old high altar. I
                think it's supposed to move into a new perpetual-adoration chapel when
                that's finished.

                --
                Scott R. Knitter
                Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
                  Wow! Love the red robe and Astarte moon!

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
                    Quite pagan, isn't it!

                    Lew

                    On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
                      This page gives the description...Go ahead and click her
                      midsection/lunette/whatever.

                      http://www.amillionsouls.com/

                      On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 9:26 PM, Douglas
                      Cowling<cowling.douglas@...> wrote:

                      > Wow!  Love the red robe and Astarte moon!

                      --
                      Scott R. Knitter
                      Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA
                    • Tom Poelker
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
                        You might also look for examples of military chapels and see if DoD has
                        their expectations/regulations for interfaith chapels on line.
                        *

                        Tom Poelker
                        St. Louis. Missouri
                        USA

                        /-- Do all the easy nice things you can.
                        It?s nice to see people smile,
                        and it?s good practice. --/

                        *

                        Father Robert Lyons, SST wrote:

                        > Friends,
                        >
                        > Our hospital is planning to build a new facility (pending a public
                        > bond issue), and we are doing detailed planning to facilitate the
                        > preparation of construction prints. I had the chance to review
                        > Chaplaincy related items recently, including our Sanctuary/Chapel.
                        >
                        > As a secular hospital, the facility needs to be open to all, while
                        > being readily usable for sectarian worship.
                        >
                        > Does anyone have any photos of non-sectarian hospital chapels that
                        > they could either upload to the list or share with me by e-mail for my
                        > thinking ahead of my next meeting with the architects?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Rob+

                      • Tom Poelker
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
                          That's disgusting!
                          *

                          dlewisaao@... wrote:

                          > Not to be confused with a tabernacle that I once saw in a RC parish in
                          > Baltimore where one side had a cross on it but then, once a button was
                          > pushed,
                          > it turned 180 degrees and presented the other side with a curtain and
                          > little electric lightbulbs around the opening for use for
                          > Benediction/Exposition
                          >

                          > In a message dated 7/22/2009 8:54:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                          > cowling.douglas@... <mailto:cowling.douglas%40gmail.com> writes:
                          >
                          > On 7/22/09 8:07 PM, "Pastor Art Hebbeler" <pastor@...
                          > <mailto:pastor%40augsburgacademy.net>>
                          > wrote:
                          >
                          > > Check out any of the military installation chapels that aren't
                          > designated
                          > > for any given group (Roman Catholic, Jewish most commonly). They
                          > are, as
                          > the
                          > > AF chaplains I know call them "purple" (a takeoff on the DoD term
                          > "purple
                          > > suit" to mean not service-specific)
                          >
                          > Isn't there an American military chapel where the front is on a giant
                          > turntable and can be spun to be a synagoge, Catholic church or Protestant
                          > church?
                          >
                          > Doug Cowling
                          > Director of Music
                          > St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
                          > Toronto

                          > To write to the moderators, please email:
                          > liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.comYahoo
                          > <mailto:liturgy-l-owner%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>! Groups Links
                          >
                          > **************What's for dinner tonight? Find quick and easy dinner ideas
                          > for any occasion.
                          > (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?ncid=emlcntusfood00000009
                          > <http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?ncid=emlcntusfood00000009>)

                        • Margaret metcalf
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
                            You might try checking with the International Association of Civilian Aviation Chaplains about airport chapels.
                            Also, try looking up the various seafarer's.seaman centers and their chaplains.
                            The Rev Bob Wells, an Episcopal chaplain, formerly a Baptist preacher, was assigned two different ministries
                            in Galveston in years past. He has experience with the Univ of Texas hospital there, at the time that the state of
                            Texas did not allow state institutions to have chapels of any kind, and what happened to prompt them to allow
                            them in state hospitals.

                            Peggy Metcalf
                            Diocese of Texas, Episcopal

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
                              A refuge for all religions
                              In good times and in bad, the airports’ interfaith chapels are providing comfort and solace to travelers of all religious faiths
                              Houston Airport System
                              December 7, 2006

                              Whether it is to console a passenger in a time of sorrow or just to
                              offer a quiet place to practice their religion, the Interfaith Chapels
                              at Houston’s airports have been fulfilling the mission of providing
                              peace and solitude to millions of passengers for over 30 years now.
                              Each year, more than 48 million people fly through George Bush
                              Intercontinental (IAH) and William P. Hobby (HOU) airports on their way
                              to destinations across the globe. With so many passengers coming
                              through the airports everyday, providing a non-denominational chapel
                              that could provide comfort, mediation, worship and aid for the
                              traveling public and the airport community was a matter of necessity.
                              That is the mission that Executive Chaplain, Brett Jones and airport chapel volunteers strive to accomplish each day.
                              “We are there when tragedy happens (at the airport),” said Jones.
                              “We meet people at the gates with good news – sometimes with bad news.”
                              Whether the news has been good or bad, the airport chapels have
                              provided a place of refuge for thousands of travelers over the decades.
                              The chapels have also been witness to multiple weddings and memorial
                              services, which Chaplain Jones has celebrated over the past eight
                              years.
                              The first Houston airport chapel opened in 1969 at Bush Airport to
                              serve travelers and airport employees. In 2005, William P. Hobby
                              airport (HOU) followed in IAH’s footsteps by inaugurating an Interfaith
                              Chapel at its facilities.
                              Both chapels are part of the internationally recognized
                              International Association of Civil Aviation Chaplains (IACAAC). Through
                              this organization, airport chaplains representing many religious faiths
                              serve at airport chapels all over the world.
                              So far, the response from travelers and airport employees has been
                              extraordinary. According to Jones, on a daily basis, an average of 132
                              airport employees and 238 travelers visit the chapels.

                              © Houston Airport System
                              The chapels are a place for universal worship.
                              “It’s awesome. There is a sign-in book that is set-up (at each
                              chapel) in our visitor reception area that I have had for years,” he
                              said. “Page after page, people thank us for having a place to meditate
                              or a place to pray. They thank us for caring.”
                              Religious leaders across Houston agree that having a
                              non-denominational chapel in an airport environment helps to provide a
                              quiet place for prayer and/or meditation. For them, the importance of
                              recognizing each passenger’s right to their own personal beliefs is
                              very important.
                              Ron Nissen is the pastor of Elim Church, a non-denominational church
                              in Houston; he says his church is not just about having one type of
                              religious group but about offering moral support to everyone –
                              regardless of their personal backgrounds. No place is this more
                              important than in the fourth-largest city in the United States, Nissen
                              said.
                              “It is very important to have a place for people of all faiths to be
                              able to spend some time and pray or meditate and in a public place like
                              (the airport) - it’s a blessing to all people,” he added.
                              According to the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau, in
                              2004, 31 million people came to Houston as visitors. The majority of
                              those individuals came through the airports. Jones says his mission is
                              making sure that all passengers know that Houston cares.
                              “(Having the chapels) shows that Houston really does care about all
                              faiths and all people, and that we value every person that comes
                              through our doors at the airport,” he said. Rodwan Saleh, who presides
                              over the Islamic Society of Greater Houston (ISGH), concurred with
                              Jones and Nissen.
                              “To have a non-denominational chapel (at the airport) is a great
                              idea. This is a country that accommodate all religions and to have (the
                              chapels) at the airport it’s a good gesture to everyone,” he said. “It
                              shows that (Houston) is sensitive to other religions and that we are
                              accommodating at the same time.”
                              Having a place to pray is of particular significance to the Islamic
                              community, Saleh noted, because Muslims pray several times throughout
                              the day.
                              “Having the chapels where (people) are waiting at the terminals for
                              connecting flights is a great thing,” he added. “Muslims pray five
                              times a day and to have a readily available chapel for them to go into
                              – there it is a great thing that the City of Houston is providing.”
                              Joan O’Lry, pastoral assistant at St. Anne’s Catholic Church, says
                              some people who come through the airports maybe traveling in a critical
                              or exciting time. During these trying times, for some people, she
                              added, having a place to gather their thoughts and connecting with
                              their religious beliefs is important.
                              “(Some travelers) are worried or nervous and maybe going to a sad
                              event like a funeral, or happy events and the chapels (at the airport)
                              provide a wonderful opportunity to have a time of reflection,” O’Lry
                              expressed.
                              With more than 90 languages spoken throughout the Houston area,
                              Chaplin Jones says the airport chapels are living proof that people do
                              not have to be antagonistic toward other beliefs.
                              “People (of different) religions use our chapels and they exist
                              together very well,” he explained. “We can have a Christian praying on
                              one side of the room and a Muslim praying on the other side of the
                              room.”
                              Through their annual charity golf tournament, the Houston Airport
                              System’s Interfaith Chapels have donated more than $137,000 to local
                              communities over the past six years.
                              Remembering the recent National Day of Prayer, Jones says he wishes
                              all people, of all religions, could come together as they did that day.
                              “On that day, we had hundreds and hundreds of people come into the
                              chapels,” Jones recalled. “There were Buddhists, Christians, Catholics,
                              Muslims; you name it, they were there. There weren’t any conflicts -
                              all that stuff stays outside.”
                              Copyright © 2006 - Houston Airport System
                              Copyright © 2004-2009 - Houston Airport System.C:41819|1906D1934|257
                              All rights reserved | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions
                              Comments or Questions: Comment Form or Email Us
                              Designed by Derek Co

                              ________________________________
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 22, 2009
                                Doubtless not the only one, but the (and I do mean "THE") chapel at NAF, El
                                Centro, CA back in the 80's (it may well have been replaced by now since it
                                was WW2 construction) had a three-sided turntable that was Roman Catholic,
                                generic Protestant, and Jewish depending on which side was facing the
                                congregation.

                                In omnibus pax,

                                George Carlson

                                LtCol, USMC(Ret)

                                _____

                                > In a message dated 7/22/2009 8:54:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                > cowling.douglas@ <mailto:cowling.douglas%40gmail.com> gmail.com
                                <mailto:cowling.douglas%40gmail.com> writes:

                                > Isn't there an American military chapel where the front is on a giant
                                > turntable and can be spun to be a synagoge, Catholic church or Protestant
                                > church?

                                05:59:00

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 23, 2009
                                  Yes. In recent years they have replaced the strange tabernacle with a
                                  standard one that does not turn, has a curtain and door in the usual location
                                  and does not have a horseshoe of lights.

                                  David

                                  In a message dated 7/22/2009 11:46:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                  TomPoelker@... writes:

                                  That's disgusting!
                                  *

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 23, 2009
                                    I think some of those electric-light displays date back to when that
                                    was a new technology. There's a church in Detroit that is still
                                    festooned with electric lights that outline most surfaces...in the
                                    context, it's neat, but in the larger world, it's bizarre-looking.

                                    Scott, whose church still bears vestiges of gas-lighting days (the
                                    capped ends of pipes are painted the same as the bricks surrounding
                                    them, but they're still visible).

                                  • cantor03@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 23, 2009
                                      The VA Medical Center where I work has a rather nice Chapel
                                      used daily for a RC Liturgy, and periodically for other groups.
                                      There is a reredos consisting of (1) a plain "Protestant" cross;
                                      (2) a crucifix for the RC's; (3) an Orthodox cross; and (4) a
                                      Star of David.

                                      Since this area has an extremely low Moslem population, there
                                      has not, as yet, appeared an Islamic symbol [? a crescent]
                                      but in the fullness of time, that may be, as well.

                                      David Strang.

                                      Yes. In recent years they have replaced the strange tabernacle with a
                                      standard one that does not turn, has a curtain and door in the usual location
                                      and does not have a horseshoe of lights.

                                      David

                                      In a message dated 7/22/2009 11:46:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                      TomPoelker@... writes:

                                      That's disgusting!
                                      *

                                      dlewisaao@... wrote:

                                      > Not to be confused with a tabernacle that I once saw in a RC parish in
                                      > Baltimore where one side had a cross on it but then, once a button was
                                      > pushed,
                                      > it turned 180 degrees and presented the other side with a curtain and
                                      > little electric lightbulbs around the opening for use for
                                      > Benediction/Exposition
                                      >

                                      > In a message dated 7/22/2009 8:54:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                      > cowling.douglas@... <mailto:cowling.douglas%40gmail.com> writes:
                                      >
                                      > On 7/22/09 8:07 PM, "Pastor Art Hebbeler" <pastor@...
                                      > <mailto:pastor%40augsburgacademy.net>>
                                      > wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Check out any of the military installation chapels that aren't
                                      > designated
                                      > > for any given group (Roman Catholic, Jewish most commonly). They
                                      > are, as
                                      > the
                                      > > AF chaplains I know call them "purple" (a takeoff on the DoD term
                                      > "purple
                                      > > suit" to mean not service-specific)
                                      >
                                      > Isn't there an American military chapel where the front is on a giant
                                      > turntable and can be spun to be a synagoge, Catholic church or Protestant
                                      > church?
                                      >
                                      > Doug Cowling
                                      > Director of Music
                                      > St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
                                      > Toronto

                                      > To write to the moderators, please email:
                                      > liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.comYahoo
                                      > <mailto:liturgy-l-owner%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>! Groups Links
                                      >
                                      > **************What's for dinner tonight? Find quick and easy dinner ideas
                                      > for any occasion.
                                      > (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?ncid=emlcntusfood00000009
                                      > <http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?ncid=emlcntusfood00000009>)

                                      **************What's for dinner tonight? Find quick and easy dinner ideas
                                      for any occasion.
                                      (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?ncid=emlcntusfood00000009)

                                    • James Morgan
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 30, 2009
                                        Aha! Technology meets piety!
                                        Rdr. James

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 30, 2009
                                          No,it is the Theotokos of the Sign, in Western garb, silly!
                                          Rdr James
                                          Oly WA (only gnostic new rite Catholics here, just walk on, don't look at the carnage....)

                                          --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Lewis Whitaker <lhwhitaker@...> wrote:

                                          > Quite pagan, isn't it!
                                          >
                                          > Lew
                                          >

                                          > On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...
                                          > > wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > Wow! Love the red robe and Astarte moon!
                                          > >
                                          > > On 7/22/09 9:57 PM, "Scott Knitter" <scottknitter@...> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > > You mean like this? This is at St Stanislaus Kostka, Chicago...at one
                                          > > > time the largest RC parish in the nation (world?), with 40,000+
                                          > > > parishioners:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > http://www.amothersplea.org/
                                          > > >
                                          > > > It's between the main versus-populum altar and the old high altar. I
                                          > > > think it's supposed to move into a new perpetual-adoration chapel when
                                          > > > that's finished.

                                          > > monstrance in
                                          > > same
                                          > > it!