Laid hands on the ark ...?

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 2008
      Last night, Obama made what I assume is a scriptural reference when he said
      something about "laying hands on the Ark." Anyone know the reference? I
      thought laying hands on the ark was fatal -- i.e. Uzzah.

    • W. R. Vinovskis
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2008
        On April 4, 1967, Martin Luther King, Jr. gave a speech entitled, "Beyond
        Vietnam: A Time to Break Silence." Here is a brief section (emphasis mine):

        "A true revolution of values will soon cause us to question the fairness and
        justice of many of our past and present policies. n the one hand we are
        called to play the good Samaritan on life's roadside; but that will be only
        an initial act. One day we must come to see that the whole Jericho road must
        be transformed so that men and women will not be constantly beaten and
        robbed as they make their journey on life's highway. True compassion is more
        than flinging a coin to a beggar; it is not haphazard and superficial. It
        comes to see that an edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring. A
        true revolution of values will soon look uneasily on the glaring contrast of
        poverty and wealth. With righteous indignation, it will look across the seas
        and see individual capitalists of the West investing huge sums of money in
        Asia, Africa and South America, only to take the profits out with no concern
        for the social betterment of the countries, and say: "This is not just." It
        will look at our alliance with the landed gentry of Latin America and say:
        "This is not just." The Western arrogance of feeling that it has everything
        to teach others and nothing to learn from them is not just. A true
        revolution of values will lay hands on the world order and say of war: "This
        way of settling differences is not just." This business of burning human
        beings with napalm, of filling our nation's homes with orphans and widows,
        of injecting poisonous drugs of hate into veins of people normally humane,
        of sending men home from dark and bloody battlefields physically handicapped
        and psychologically deranged, cannot be reconciled with wisdom, justice and
        love. A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on
        military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual
        death."

        WRV

        ***********************

        Rev. Waldemar R. Vinovskis

        Concordia Lutheran Church

        2623 Brookside Rd.

        Macungie, PA 18062

        610-965-3265

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2008
          Here's the relevant paragraph from President-Elect Obama's
          election-night speech:

          "It's the answer that led those who have been told for so long by so
          many to be cynical, and fearful, and doubtful of what we can achieve
          to put their hands on the arc of history and bend it once more toward
          the hope of a better day."

          So it's "put their hands on the arc," not "laid hands on the ark."

          --
          Scott R. Knitter
          Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2008
            Doug,

            I think Senator Obama was speaking of the "arc of history" and bending it.

            Cheers,
            Sandford MacLean

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 6, 2008
              On 11/6/08 9:08 AM, "Scott Knitter" <scottknitter@...> wrote:

              > Here's the relevant paragraph from President-Elect Obama's
              > election-night speech:
              >
              > "It's the answer that led those who have been told for so long by so
              > many to be cynical, and fearful, and doubtful of what we can achieve
              > to put their hands on the arc of history and bend it once more toward
              > the hope of a better day."
              >
              > So it's "put their hands on the arc," not "laid hands on the ark."

              Thanks Scott. I'm an Anglican so I always assume I miss scriptural
              allusions!

            • Steve Benner
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 6, 2008
                Do a search for the phrase in quotation marks below and apparently MLK used
                the phrase in a speech (which speech I have not yet discovered).

                Martin Luther King, Jr. once quoted a nineteenth century Unitarian minister:
                "The arc of history is long, but it bends toward justice."

                On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 11:11 PM, Douglas Cowling
                <cowling.douglas@...>wrote:

                > Last night, Obama made what I assume is a scriptural reference when he
                > said
                > something about "laying hands on the Ark." Anyone know the reference? I
                > thought laying hands on the ark was fatal -- i.e. Uzzah.
                >
                > Doug Cowling
                > Director of Music
                > St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
                > Toronto

              • wrvinovskis
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 6, 2008
                  Ah, yes. Context is everything. Thanks for clarifying that. - WRV