Re: resources on footwashing

  • Chris McConnell
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2008
      --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Arnold" <sursum.corda@...> wrote:

      > I'm doing my MA thesis on the different ways footwashing has been
      understood
      > and practiced through the ages. I've got Schafer's "Die
      Fusswaschung..." and
      > Beatrice's "La Lavanda dei Piedi", which seem to be the two main
      texts on
      > the topic (and forcing me to learn German and Italian in a trice...)
      >
      > Do you know of any other resources, particularly journal, magazine, or
      > newspaper articles on footwashing? O Liturgy-l, have mercy on me!

      You'd need to look at the baptismal footwashing in Ambrose, at least
      in standard treatments of Christian initiation. But you should also
      look at Martin Connell's stuff about its possible earlier initiatory use.

      Chris
    • James Keeling
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2008
        Am I right in thinking Seventh Day Adventists regularly include this
        ceremony in their worship?

        James

        On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 11:06 PM, Chris McConnell <cdmcconnell@...>wrote:

        > --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com <liturgy-l%40yahoogroups.com>, "Chris
        > Arnold" <sursum.corda@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm doing my MA thesis on the different ways footwashing has been
        > understood
        > > and practiced through the ages. I've got Schafer's "Die
        > Fusswaschung..." and
        > > Beatrice's "La Lavanda dei Piedi", which seem to be the two main
        > texts on
        > > the topic (and forcing me to learn German and Italian in a trice...)
        > >
        > > Do you know of any other resources, particularly journal, magazine, or
        > > newspaper articles on footwashing? O Liturgy-l, have mercy on me!
        >
        > You'd need to look at the baptismal footwashing in Ambrose, at least
        > in standard treatments of Christian initiation. But you should also
        > look at Martin Connell's stuff about its possible earlier initiatory use.
        >
        > Chris

      • Nathan Nettleton
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2008
          I'm not sure about the SDAs, but am sure some of the Mennonite groups
          do.

          Cheers,

          Nathan Nettleton

          On 03/11/2008, at 1:01 AM, "James Keeling"
          <jameskeeling@...> wrote:

          > Am I right in thinking Seventh Day Adventists regularly include this
          > ceremony in their worship?
        • Michael Thannisch
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2008
            I do not know abvout the Adventists, but many of the Holiness Churches, especially the Pentecostal Holiness Churches do.

            Shalom b'Yeshua haMoshiach

            +Michael Joe Thannisch
            mjthannisch@...
            Pastor, Congregation Benim Avraham
            http://www.freewebs.com/childrenofabraham/
            204 Sylvan St.
            La Porte, TX 77571
            281-867-9081

            On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 11:06 PM, Chris McConnell <cdmcconnell@ yahoo.com>wrote:

            > --- In liturgy-l@yahoogrou ps.com <liturgy-l%40yahoog roups.com> , "Chris
            > Arnold" <sursum.corda@ ...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm doing my MA thesis on the different ways footwashing has been
            > understood
            > > and practiced through the ages. I've got Schafer's "Die
            > Fusswaschung. .." and
            > > Beatrice's "La Lavanda dei Piedi", which seem to be the two main
            > texts on
            > > the topic (and forcing me to learn German and Italian in a trice...)
            > >
            > > Do you know of any other resources, particularly journal, magazine, or
            > > newspaper articles on footwashing? O Liturgy-l, have mercy on me!
            >
            > You'd need to look at the baptismal footwashing in Ambrose, at least
            > in standard treatments of Christian initiation. But you should also
            > look at Martin Connell's stuff about its possible earlier initiatory use.
            >
            > Chris

          • Daniel Lawson
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
              I believe the Amish do also.