Re: [liturgy-l] resources on footwashing

  • James Keeling
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2008
      Slightly off centre on this one - at least a 'footnote' - on the English
      Monarchy washing feet on Maundy Thursday may be worth a few minutes research
      / comment. This would give a curious but Anglican rite.

      James
      *A friend's church is having a small sale of traditional Anglican and Anglo
      Catholic liturgy books on eBay. (including Scottish 1929 Prayer Book, Coptic
      liturgy, Advent, Christmas liturgy, etc
      Please go see and do bid for a good cause! The money raised goes to
      charities the parish supports. See:
      **http://tinyurl.com/4geg8*<http://tinyurl.com/4geg8>
      *(eBay seller is Surtees5).*

      On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 11:05 AM, James O'Regan <oregan@...>wrote:

      > Have a look at the Mozarabic rite, comparing the Holy Thursday rubrics
      > with the gospel of the day (John's account of footwashing). Pay
      > special attention to who does what, as there is a great discrepancy
      > between both accounts.
      >
      > All the best,
      >
      > James O'Regan
      > oregan@... <oregan%40jamesoregan.com>
      >
      > On 30-Oct-08, at 11:50 PM, Chris Arnold wrote:
      >
      > > I'm doing my MA thesis on the different ways footwashing has been
      > > understood
      > > and practiced through the ages. I've got Schafer's "Die
      > > Fusswaschung..." and
      > > Beatrice's "La Lavanda dei Piedi", which seem to be the two main
      > > texts on
      > > the topic (and forcing me to learn German and Italian in a trice...)
      > >
      > > Do you know of any other resources, particularly journal, magazine, or
      > > newspaper articles on footwashing? O Liturgy-l, have mercy on me!
      > >
      > > -Chris
      > >

      > > --
      > > Christopher Arnold, BA, MDiv
      > > Masters in Liturgical Studies Program
      > > Graduate Theological Union

      > > write to the owners/moderators, please send an email to:
      > > liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.comYahoo<liturgy-l-owner%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>!
      > Groups Links

    • Chris McConnell
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2008
        --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Arnold" <sursum.corda@...> wrote:

        > I'm doing my MA thesis on the different ways footwashing has been
        understood
        > and practiced through the ages. I've got Schafer's "Die
        Fusswaschung..." and
        > Beatrice's "La Lavanda dei Piedi", which seem to be the two main
        texts on
        > the topic (and forcing me to learn German and Italian in a trice...)
        >
        > Do you know of any other resources, particularly journal, magazine, or
        > newspaper articles on footwashing? O Liturgy-l, have mercy on me!

        You'd need to look at the baptismal footwashing in Ambrose, at least
        in standard treatments of Christian initiation. But you should also
        look at Martin Connell's stuff about its possible earlier initiatory use.

        Chris
      • James Keeling
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2008
          Am I right in thinking Seventh Day Adventists regularly include this
          ceremony in their worship?

          James

          On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 11:06 PM, Chris McConnell <cdmcconnell@...>wrote:

          > --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com <liturgy-l%40yahoogroups.com>, "Chris
          > Arnold" <sursum.corda@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm doing my MA thesis on the different ways footwashing has been
          > understood
          > > and practiced through the ages. I've got Schafer's "Die
          > Fusswaschung..." and
          > > Beatrice's "La Lavanda dei Piedi", which seem to be the two main
          > texts on
          > > the topic (and forcing me to learn German and Italian in a trice...)
          > >
          > > Do you know of any other resources, particularly journal, magazine, or
          > > newspaper articles on footwashing? O Liturgy-l, have mercy on me!
          >
          > You'd need to look at the baptismal footwashing in Ambrose, at least
          > in standard treatments of Christian initiation. But you should also
          > look at Martin Connell's stuff about its possible earlier initiatory use.
          >
          > Chris

        • Nathan Nettleton
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2008
            I'm not sure about the SDAs, but am sure some of the Mennonite groups
            do.

            Cheers,

            Nathan Nettleton

            On 03/11/2008, at 1:01 AM, "James Keeling"
            <jameskeeling@...> wrote:

            > Am I right in thinking Seventh Day Adventists regularly include this
            > ceremony in their worship?
          • Michael Thannisch
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2008
              I do not know abvout the Adventists, but many of the Holiness Churches, especially the Pentecostal Holiness Churches do.

              Shalom b'Yeshua haMoshiach

              +Michael Joe Thannisch
              mjthannisch@...
              Pastor, Congregation Benim Avraham
              http://www.freewebs.com/childrenofabraham/
              204 Sylvan St.
              La Porte, TX 77571
              281-867-9081

              On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 11:06 PM, Chris McConnell <cdmcconnell@ yahoo.com>wrote:

              > --- In liturgy-l@yahoogrou ps.com <liturgy-l%40yahoog roups.com> , "Chris
              > Arnold" <sursum.corda@ ...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm doing my MA thesis on the different ways footwashing has been
              > understood
              > > and practiced through the ages. I've got Schafer's "Die
              > Fusswaschung. .." and
              > > Beatrice's "La Lavanda dei Piedi", which seem to be the two main
              > texts on
              > > the topic (and forcing me to learn German and Italian in a trice...)
              > >
              > > Do you know of any other resources, particularly journal, magazine, or
              > > newspaper articles on footwashing? O Liturgy-l, have mercy on me!
              >
              > You'd need to look at the baptismal footwashing in Ambrose, at least
              > in standard treatments of Christian initiation. But you should also
              > look at Martin Connell's stuff about its possible earlier initiatory use.
              >
              > Chris

            • Daniel Lawson
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
                I believe the Amish do also.