Re: [liturgy-l] New Year in Tisheri

  • Tom Poelker
    Message 1 of 169 , Oct 1, 2008
      You make a good point.
      I would like to do both.

      Internal to the church, restore the sense of the Nativity as the feast
      of the Incarnation.
      Lose the word Christmas.

      Externally, also lose the word Christmas.
      Side with the civil holiday crowd and get the merchants and governments
      completely away from the anointed of God whom they don't honor with
      their behavior.
      Support a new, areligious, Yule season with the help of the ACLU.

      Then, actively preach the faith meaning inside the church, which will, I
      hope, eventually undermine, or at least, be separately identifiable
      from, the social, civic festival.

      Perhaps obviously, I am reacting to the impossible call to put Christ
      back in Xmas. The reason for the season is now sales and revelry.
      Let's admit that and take back our name.

      I want to begin with getting those social festival trappings out of our
      liturgical spaces. No red, no green, no holly, no ivy, no trees or
      evergreen garlands in church.
      No harm to having seasonal parties on the social side of building our
      communities, but be clear about the difference between what the church
      is doing and what society is doing by keeping the social festivals
      trimmings out of worship.

      It's almost too late to start talking about this in the parish for this
      year, but try bringing it up for the first time and lay some groundwork
      on making the distinction and separation.

      Tom Poelker
      St. Louis, Missouri
      USA
      -- Maybe I don't
      deserve God's love,
      but I'm stuck with it,
      so I might as well
      make the most of it.

      cfortunato58@... wrote:

      > Well, the way to do that is to actually FOLLOW the liturgical calendar.
      >
      > Secular Christmas and Christian Christmas are two completely different
      > periods, sharing only a single day.
      >
      > The secular world celebrates Christmas from around the end of
      > Thanksgiving to December 25. But that isn't Christmas at all - it's
      > Advent. Christmas is from the evening of December 24th to the evening
      > of January 5.
      >
      > But if you turn on the radio on December 26th, you won't hear a SINGLE
      > Christmas song. As far they're concerned, it's OVER.
      >
      > For Christians, it's just getting started.
      >
      > If we actually keep Advent as Advent, and celebrate Christmas from
      > December 25 to January 6, these conflicts disappear. And it's GOOD to
      > attend to the whole cycle: Stephen and John and the Innocents. Holy
      > Name. If you're Roman Catholic, Mary the Mother of God and the Holy
      > Family, culminating in Epiphany and Theophany. That's up to US, and
      > it's perfectly doable. It isn't the commercial worlds fault if we
      > can't hear God because of the noise.

    • Tom Poelker
      Message 169 of 169 , Dec 1, 2008
        "I don't see how moving it prevents it from turning it into a social
        hour. That problem isn't caused by positioning."

        what problem?

        Tom Poelker
        St. Louis, Missouri
        USA