Re: [liturgy-l] animals in church

    Message 1 of 47 , Sep 10, 2008
      But, like all canons, open to interpretation. I would hope that today most
      priests would be sensitive to seeing eye dogs, but I know that's not always
      the case. Some choose to read the letter of the law, rather than the spirit.
      The focus should always be on saving souls, not on enforcing canons. Just as
      man was not made for the sabbath, but the sabbath for man, as the canon
      notes, I would hope pastors would be sensitive to this. But I know of at
      least one instance where a priest forbade a seeing eye dog, and lost an
      entire family.

      I hope he's happy with his interpretation.

      Lew

      On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 12:52 PM, asteresplanetai <
      asteresplanetai@...> wrote:

      > +++
      >
      > > Posted by: "James Morgan" rdrjames@... rdrjames
      > > Date: Tue Sep 9, 2008 3:39 pm ((PDT))
      > >
      > > we have a young man in our parish who brings his giant cockapoodle
      > > companion dog into church each week. the dog is much better behaved
      > > than some of the humans here!
      > >
      > > Posted by: "Lewis Whitaker" lhwhitaker@... lhwatl
      > >
      > > WHAT? That's forbidden by the canons! You'll have to have the place
      > > reconsecrated.
      >

      > i don't know about reconsecrated, but the canons do not allow dogs in
      > church, even seeing-eye dogs:
      >
      > Quinisext Council, Canon 88:
      >
      > Let no one introduce into a sacred Temple any beast whatsoever, unless
      > it be that when someone is journeying, and being under the greatest
      > necessity and without a habitation or resort of any kind, he puts up
      > in such a Temple. For if he does not let his beast stay inside, it
      > will perish. But with the loss of his beast of burden and as a result
      > of his being thus left without any means of carriage he will expose
      > himself to the danger of death. For we are taught that "the sabbath
      > was made for man" (Mark 2:27), so that through all it is preferable to
      > consider the salvation and safety of the man. But if anyone should be
      > caught introducing a beast into the Temple without there being any
      > real necessity, as has been said, if he be a Cleric, let him be
      > deposed from office; but if he be a layman, let him be excommunicated.
      >

      > Since this is a canon of an Ecumenical Council (the one "in Trullo",
      > held between the 5th and 6th ecumenical councils for the purposes of
      > enacting the legislation of the 5th, it would be binding on all
      > Christians.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > John Burnett.

    • asteresplanetai
      Message 47 of 47 , Sep 14, 2008
        +++

        in the interests of completeness, I certainly should share this item,
        which a friend brought to my attention today:

        http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2562/77churchmarqeefightuv5.jpg

        Regards,

        john burnett