animals in church

  • asteresplanetai
    Message 1 of 47 , Sep 10, 2008
      +++

      > Posted by: "James Morgan" rdrjames@... rdrjames
      > Date: Tue Sep 9, 2008 3:39 pm ((PDT))
      >
      > we have a young man in our parish who brings his giant cockapoodle
      > companion dog into church each week. the dog is much better behaved
      > than some of the humans here!
      >
      > Posted by: "Lewis Whitaker" lhwhitaker@... lhwatl
      >
      > WHAT? That's forbidden by the canons! You'll have to have the place
      > reconsecrated.

      i don't know about reconsecrated, but the canons do not allow dogs in
      church, even seeing-eye dogs:

      Quinisext Council, Canon 88:

      Let no one introduce into a sacred Temple any beast whatsoever, unless
      it be that when someone is journeying, and being under the greatest
      necessity and without a habitation or resort of any kind, he puts up
      in such a Temple. For if he does not let his beast stay inside, it
      will perish. But with the loss of his beast of burden and as a result
      of his being thus left without any means of carriage he will expose
      himself to the danger of death. For we are taught that “the sabbath
      was made for man” (Mark 2:27), so that through all it is preferable to
      consider the salvation and safety of the man. But if anyone should be
      caught introducing a beast into the Temple without there being any
      real necessity, as has been said, if he be a Cleric, let him be
      deposed from office; but if he be a layman, let him be excommunicated.

      Since this is a canon of an Ecumenical Council (the one "in Trullo",
      held between the 5th and 6th ecumenical councils for the purposes of
      enacting the legislation of the 5th, it would be binding on all
      Christians.

      Regards,

      John Burnett.
    • asteresplanetai
      Message 47 of 47 , Sep 14, 2008
        +++

        in the interests of completeness, I certainly should share this item,
        which a friend brought to my attention today:

        http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2562/77churchmarqeefightuv5.jpg

        Regards,

        john burnett