Praegustatio

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2008
      Joy on the Extraordinary Rite blogs: the praegustatio in the pontifical mass
      is starting to be restored!

      That's the deeply edifying moment in the offertory rite when a priest has
      to eat part of the wafer and sip the wine to prove that the bishop isn't
      going to be poisoned!

      They don't call it the credence table for nothing..

      St. Philip's Church, Toronto
    • James Morgan
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2008
        Please send the urls of these blogs. I wanna see it wiv me own eyes.

        Rdr.James
        Olympia, WA
        Funny we don't have anything like that in the ER. Perhaps we just
        waited for the Turks to kill our bishops.

        --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Cowling

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2008
          On 9/3/08 6:55 PM, "James Morgan" <rdrjames@...> wrote:

          > Please send the urls of these blogs. I wanna see it wiv me own eyes.

          The 'New Liturgical Movement' blog is full of great photos of extraordinary
          Extraordinary rites all over the world. Lots of links:

          http://thenewliturgicalmovement.blogspot.com/

          Caveat. The commentaries are so full of historical errors and wishful
          thinking that they could be written by Anglicans!

          St. Philip's Church, Toronto
        • Chris McConnell
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 4, 2008
            <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:

            > Caveat. The commentaries are so full of historical errors and wishful
            > thinking that they could be written by Anglicans!

            With all due respect and ecumenical sensitivity, Doug, I would contend
            that we RCs are demonstrably capable of outdoing any other Christians
            at historical errors and wishful thinking. :)

            Chris
          • Tom Poelker
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 4, 2008
              yeah, both left and right, we've got wishful thinking and historical
              wishful thinking down pat

              Chris McConnell wrote:

              > --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com <mailto:liturgy-l%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > Douglas Cowling
              > <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Caveat. The commentaries are so full of historical errors and wishful
              > > thinking that they could be written by Anglicans!
              >
              > With all due respect and ecumenical sensitivity, Doug, I would contend
              > that we RCs are demonstrably capable of outdoing any other Christians
              > at historical errors and wishful thinking. :)
              >
              > Chris

            • James Morgan
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 4, 2008
                Thanks,Douglas. I'll tread carefully, being a former anglican, but
                I'll keep my first edition Fortescue in my hands as reference. He
                even had maps!

                Rdr. James
                Olympia, WA

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 4, 2008
                  Jim:

                  You weren't JUST a former Anglican... you went to one of the "Shrine
                  Churches" of the Episcopal Church (at least it used to be) at the mention of
                  which, as I think Greg Singleton said at one point, one was expected to bow
                  the head as if the Sacred Name had been invoked!

                  Lew

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 4, 2008
                    On 9/4/08 11:25 AM, "Chris McConnell" <cdmcconnell@...> wrote:

                    > With all due respect and ecumenical sensitivity, Doug, I would contend
                    > that we RCs are demonstrably capable of outdoing any other Christians
                    > at historical errors and wishful thinking. :)

                    You're on!

                    I'll choose the head of an Anglican altar guild and you choose a Catholic
                    sacristan.

                    We'll put them in the ring and see who comes out on top!

                    St. Philip's Church, Toronto
                  • Ron Miller
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 5, 2008
                      Although I wouldn't bet on the outcome, I'd love to come and watch. Keep
                      us posted!!

                      Douglas Cowling wrote:
                      > On 9/4/08 11:25 AM, "Chris McConnell" <cdmcconnell@...> wrote:
                      >

                      >> With all due respect and ecumenical sensitivity, Doug, I would contend
                      >> that we RCs are demonstrably capable of outdoing any other Christians
                      >> at historical errors and wishful thinking. :)
                      >>

                      > You're on!
                      >
                      > I'll choose the head of an Anglican altar guild and you choose a Catholic
                      > sacristan.
                      >
                      > We'll put them in the ring and see who comes out on top!
                      >

                      > Doug Cowling
                      > Director of Music
                      > St. Philip's Church, Toronto

                      Ron Miller (The Rev. Ronald H.) Baltimore, MD
                      It is important to keep recalling that racial justice and gender equality are morally and constitutionally "center." To call those promoting them "leftist" is dishonest, something usually done by right-wing politicians who appeal to the political center by attacking the moral center.
                      William Sloane Coffin in Credo
                    • Noel Stoutenburg
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 8, 2008
                        Ron Miller wrote:

                        > Although I wouldn't bet on the outcome, I'd love to come and watch. Keep
                        > us posted!!

                        Probably worth a YOUTUBE (R) video....

                        ns
                      • William Renwick
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 8, 2008
                          Call for Papers

                          Traditions in Western Plainchant

                          4th Annual Colloquium of
                          The Gregorian Institute of Canada
                          August 13-16, 2009
                          McMaster University, Hamilton (Ontario, Canada)

                          Plenary speaker:
                          Joseph Dyer
                          "Observations on the Origins of the Antiphonale Missarum"

                          Featured artists:
                          Schola Antiqua of Madrid (Spain), Juan Carlos Asensio, Director

                          Recent plainchant scholarship has focused on specialized topics such as
                          the early dissemination of variants and palaeographical issues, while
                          opening up new areas of research. These diverse approaches have had a
                          significant impact on our understanding of plainchant cultures
                          (old-Roman, Hispano-Wisigothic, Gregorian), as well as on
                          palaeographical and performance practices. The revival of Gregorian
                          chant in the nineteenth century has led to the relatively recent
                          development of the so-called “Solesmes” tradition of performance, while
                          other schools of performance evolved on the basis of contrasting
                          approaches to musical style and palaeography.

                          This conference of the Gregorian Institute of Canada offers the
                          opportunity to discuss the significance of recent scholarship and new
                          approaches to plainchant as they relate to different traditions. Since
                          the Gregorian Institute of Canada has focused from its inception on
                          performance, the conference will provide a unique opportunity for
                          scholars and performers from Canada and around the world to share and
                          discuss their ideas, research and experiences.

                          The organizers therefore welcome proposals dealing with any aspect of
                          tradition in Western plainchant, including but not limited to: music,
                          analysis, palaeography, pedagogy, theory, and performance practice. The
                          conference will also include workshops on approaches to performance
                          practice in Western plainchant.

                          Please send a 250-word abstract to the following e-mail address:
                          igc.gic@..., for review by the program committee. Proposals
                          abstracts may be sent, and papers given, in either English or French.
                          Conference papers will be limited to 30 minutes, followed by a
                          10-minute discussion period. Performance practice workshops will last
                          40 minutes.

                          The deadline for proposals is February 1, 2009.

                          William Renwick
                          renwick@...
                          School of the Arts
                          McMaster University