Medieval masterpiece restored

  • James Morgan
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 29, 2008
      From: ECCLESIOLOGY TODAY

      Journal of the Ecclesiological Society,

      successor to the Cambridge Camden Society of 1839

      Issue 31, May 2003

      The Retable returns

      The small thatched Suffolk church at Thornham Parva was celebrating in
      February 2003 the return

      of its celebrated C14 painted altarpiece after over 15 years of restoration
      work which cost some

      £240,000, most paid by English Heritage, the National Heritage Memorial fund
      and the PCC

      locally which received a sizeable donation from the late Queen Mother. It
      depicts the Crucifixion

      and eight painted panels of saints, and is thought to have come from the
      Priory church in Thetford,

      Norfolk. It survived the Dissolution, being bought by a local catholic
      family. It was then put up for

      auction in the late 1700s but no-one wanted it, and it lay in a woodpile at
      Thornham Hall for some

      200 years before being rediscovered in 1927 by the then 6th Lord Henniker
      who gave it to the

      church. At approx 4x1metres it is said to be the largest surviving medieval
      altarpiece in the country.

      It is now protected by a glass case, with a self-contained climate control
      system.

      I commend this site to your all.

      http://www.ecclsoc.org

      Rdr. James

      Oly WA

    • Michael Thannisch
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 29, 2008
        Thank you for this site. I looked at the pictures of the month and was fascinated by the churches in Iceland. Everyone of them was orriented to the east.

        Shalom,

        +Michael Joe Thannisch

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 30, 2008
          Please help.
          I clicked the link, but could not find the internal link to "The Retable
          Returns" and the search engine did not do anything when I entered
          "thornham parva". What links do I need to follow?

          It is a a fascinating site, though.
          I will have to find time to thoroughly review the photo essay on St.
          Louis, Rome of the West.

          Tom Poelker
          St. Louis, Missouri
          USA
          -- When you were born, you were crying
          and everyone around you was smiling.
          -- Live your life so at the end,
          you're the one who is smiling and
          everyone around you is crying.

          rdrjames@... wrote:

          > From: ECCLESIOLOGY TODAY
          >
          > Journal of the Ecclesiological Society,
          >
          > successor to the Cambridge Camden Society of 1839
          >
          > Issue 31, May 2003
          >
          > The Retable returns
          >
          > The small thatched Suffolk church at Thornham Parva was celebrating in
          > February 2003 the return
          >
          > of its celebrated C14 painted altarpiece after over 15 years of
          > restoration
          > work which cost some
          >
          > £240,000, most paid by English Heritage, the National Heritage
          > Memorial fund
          > and the PCC
          >
          > locally which received a sizeable donation from the late Queen Mother. It
          > depicts the Crucifixion
          >
          > and eight painted panels of saints, and is thought to have come from the
          > Priory church in Thetford,
          >
          > Norfolk. It survived the Dissolution, being bought by a local catholic
          > family. It was then put up for
          >
          > auction in the late 1700s but no-one wanted it, and it lay in a
          > woodpile at
          > Thornham Hall for some
          >
          > 200 years before being rediscovered in 1927 by the then 6th Lord Henniker
          > who gave it to the
          >
          > church. At approx 4x1metres it is said to be the largest surviving
          > medieval
          > altarpiece in the country.
          >
          > It is now protected by a glass case, with a self-contained climate control
          > system.
          >
          > I commend this site to your all.
          >
          > http://www.ecclsoc.org <http://www.ecclsoc.org>
          >
          > Rdr. James
          >
          > Oly WA

        • Kevin Riley
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 30, 2008
            It is the Spring, 2003 issue found by clicking on "Downloads/Publications"
            on the left (near the bottom of the list) then on "download these journals
            free of charge" and scrolling down a little.

            Kevin Riley