NRSV daily missal?

  • bosco_petersnz
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 8, 2008
      Greetings

      Does anyone know if there is a NRSV (RC) Daily Missal?
      If so where might I obtain this?

      Blessings on your Lenten journey

      Bosco
      www.liturgy.co.nz
    • James O'Regan
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 9, 2008
        Bosco wrote:

        > Does anyone know if there is a NRSV (RC) Daily Missal?
        > If so where might I obtain this?

        The Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops has a NRSV Sunday and a
        weekday lectionary if that is what you mean. It is what we use in
        Canada. Unfortunately, it may not be sold abroad by reason of
        liturgical law. Not that I'm suggesting that you find a Canadian
        relative to shop for you. That would be inappropriate.

        All the best,

        James O'Regan
        oregan@...
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 9, 2008
          I wonder how we got ours at Ascension, Chicago. The paperback edition
          is used for bulletin preparation and reference in the sacristy; we
          also have the giant green hardcovers, which are used in weekday ferial
          low Masses.

          --
          Scott R. Knitter
          Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 9, 2008
            Smuggled? I was told b y the CCCB that cross border purchasing vas
            verboten.

            James O'Regan
            oregan@...

            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 9, 2008
              I should have added "because the NRSV is not authorized for the US."
              and evidently the USCCB takes a dim view on unauthorized texts.

              James O'Regan
              oregan@...

              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 9, 2008
                Some RC Benedictine communities in the USA use NRSV liturgically. Or
                at least Saint Meinrad Archabbey does. Maybe it helps that the local
                archbishop (of Indianapolis) is a monk of said archabbey. :)

                On 2/9/08, James O'Regan <oregan@...> wrote:

                > I should have added "because the NRSV is not authorized for the US."
                > and evidently the USCCB takes a dim view on unauthorized texts.

                --
                Scott R. Knitter
                Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA
              • Simon Kershaw
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 9, 2008
                  bosco_petersnz wrote:
                  > Does anyone know if there is a NRSV (RC) Daily Missal?
                  > If so where might I obtain this?

                  Like this one:

                  http://www.scm-canterburypress.co.uk/bookdetails.asp?ISBN=9781853118968

                  ?

                  simon
                  editor

                  --
                  Simon Kershaw
                  simon@...
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 9, 2008
                    James O'Regan wrote:
                    > I should have added "because the NRSV is not authorized for the US."
                    > and evidently the USCCB takes a dim view on unauthorized texts.

                    Umm, ummm, authorized by whom?

                    What Canadian RC bishops say might be relevant to Canadian RCs, and
                    possibly to non-Canadian RCs, but it doesn't extend to non-Canadian non-RCs!

                    If Anglicans choose to use a Canadian RC book then -- so what?

                    simon

                    --
                    Simon Kershaw
                    simon@...
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 9, 2008
                      You aren't U.S. RCs, who are forbidden to read the NRSV in worship. So perhaps the answer is to get a non-RC to order it.

                      Frank C. Senn

                      Scott Knitter <scottknitter@...> wrote: I wonder how we got ours at Ascension, Chicago. The paperback edition
                      is used for bulletin preparation and reference in the sacristy; we
                      also have the giant green hardcovers, which are used in weekday ferial
                      low Masses.

                      On 2/9/08, James O'Regan <oregan@...> wrote:

                      > The Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops has a NRSV Sunday and a
                      > weekday lectionary if that is what you mean. It is what we use in
                      > Canada. Unfortunately, it may not be sold abroad by reason of
                      > liturgical law. Not that I'm suggesting that you find a Canadian
                      > relative to shop for you. That would be inappropriate.

                      --
                      Scott R. Knitter
                      Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA

                    • Cowling Douglas
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 9, 2008
                        )
                        You aren't U.S. RCs, who are forbidden to read the NRSV in worship. So
                        perhaps the answer is to get a non-RC to order it.

                        I'm curious why the USCCB has prohibited the NRSV while their northern
                        brothers have permitted it? Is there a debate of dogmatic theology here?

                        Speaking of biblical studies and dogmatic theology, John Allen has an
                        interesting article on the upcoming Synod of Bishops which has scripture as
                        its topic. Some are suggesting that Catholic interpretation of biblical
                        questions may be moving towards formalized decisions.

                        http://ncrcafe.org/node/1581
                        Martini's 'preemptive strike' ahead of Synod on the Bible
                        By JOHN L. ALLEN JR.

                      • bosco_petersnz
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 9, 2008
                          Thanks for the scm hint,
                          I will look into that
                          also: does anyone have an online Canadian online bookshop URL
                          where I can not buy this contraband stuff please :-)

                          Blessings

                          Bosco
                          www.liturgy.co.nz

                          --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Simon Kershaw <simon@...> wrote:

                          > bosco_petersnz wrote:
                          > > Does anyone know if there is a NRSV (RC) Daily Missal?
                          > > If so where might I obtain this?
                          >
                          > Like this one:
                          >
                          > http://www.scm-canterburypress.co.uk/bookdetails.asp?ISBN=9781853118968
                          >
                          > ?
                          >
                          > simon
                          > editor
                          >
                          > --
                          > Simon Kershaw
                          > simon@...
                          > Saint Ives, Cambridgeshire

                        • bosco_petersnz
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 9, 2008
                            ps. Simon

                            Are the readings for for this for the daily Eucharist the same as the
                            RC daily readings, similar, or a completely different sequence?

                            Blessings

                            Bosco
                            www.liturgy.co.nz

                            --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Simon Kershaw <simon@...> wrote:

                            > bosco_petersnz wrote:
                            > > Does anyone know if there is a NRSV (RC) Daily Missal?
                            > > If so where might I obtain this?
                            >
                            > Like this one:
                            >
                            > http://www.scm-canterburypress.co.uk/bookdetails.asp?ISBN=9781853118968
                            >
                            > ?
                            >
                            > simon
                            > editor
                            >
                            > --
                            > Simon Kershaw
                            > simon@...
                            > Saint Ives, Cambridgeshire

                          • Carl
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 9, 2008
                              I suspect that it has something to do with the use of inclusive language in the NRSV. Which they have sometimes translated innaccurately for the sake of.
                              I'm curious why the USCCB has prohibited the NRSV while their northern
                              brothers have permitted it? Is there a debate of dogmatic theology here?

                              Visit Your Group
                              Yahoo! News
                              Get it all here

                              Breaking news to

                              entertainment news

                              Moderator Central
                              Yahoo! Groups

                              Join and receive

                              produce updates.

                              Ads on Yahoo!
                              Learn more now.

                              Reach customers

                              searching for you.
                              .

                            • Cfortunato@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 9, 2008
                                I suspect that it has something to do with the use of
                                inclusive language in the NRSV. Which they have sometimes translated
                                inaccurately for the sake of.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 9, 2008
                                  Perhaps inaccurately in terms of the language itself, but meant to get
                                  at a more accurate (to modern ears) sense of who is being addressed.
                                  (Everyone in a crowd, or really just "brothers"?)

                                  On Feb 9, 2008 8:27 PM, <Cfortunato@...> wrote:

                                  > I suspect that it has something to do with the use of
                                  > inclusive language in the NRSV. Which they have sometimes translated
                                  > inaccurately for the sake of.

                                  --
                                  Scott R. Knitter
                                  Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA
                                • Chris McConnell
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 9, 2008
                                    --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, "Cowling Douglas" <dcowling@...> wrote:

                                    > I'm curious why the USCCB has prohibited the NRSV while their northern
                                    > brothers have permitted it? Is there a debate of dogmatic theology
                                    here?

                                    The USCCB didn't exactly prohibit it; it was prohibited for them. :)

                                    Rome clamped down on the NRSV after the Canadian bishops had already
                                    published our lectionary, but before the US bishops published theirs.
                                    So it was verboten in the US, and grandfathered in, as it were, in
                                    Canada.

                                    Chris
                                  • Cfortunato@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 9, 2008
                                      Those aren't my problems - I agree with those.? My problems are more along the lines of them translating Psalm 1 as "Happy are those who do not follow the advice of the wicked" instead of "Blessed is the man" of "Blessed is the one."? Shifting the focus from the individual to the collective changes the whole feeling of the thing, I think, and is a significant difference.? (As a side note, our Orthodox friends regard "Blessed in the man" as actually important, since the LXX has "andros" not "anthropos" and they regard it as a reference to Christ.)

                                      Another one that bothers me is translating Ezekiel's "Son of man" as "Mortal" ("Mortal, can these bones live?").? I find that very aesthetically unpleasing, and I think it makes God sound a lot like the heavy in a science fiction movie.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 10, 2008
                                        bosco_petersnz wrote:
                                        > Are the readings for for this for the daily Eucharist the same as the
                                        > RC daily readings, similar, or a completely different sequence?

                                        The passages are the same: the intention of ths lectionary is to ensure
                                        that the same readings are read on the same days in the CofE as in the
                                        RCC. The selections from the psams are slightly different -- usually a
                                        few more verses are selected in the CofE version than were selected in
                                        the Roman lectionary, where the psalms are sometimes extremely 'filletted'.

                                        The Daily Eucharistic Lectionary was first authorized in the Church of
                                        England in 1980, as a minor adaptation of the Roman Ordo Lectionum
                                        Missae. The revision in 2002 was if anything a conservative one,
                                        restoring some of the few changes that had been made in the 1980
                                        version. Until now there has not been a printed version of the CofE
                                        provision, it being assumed that those who were going to use it
                                        regularly would acquire a copy of the Roman Weekday Missal.

                                        simon

                                        --
                                        Simon Kershaw
                                        simon@...
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 10, 2008
                                          My favorite is Jesus telling the disciples that he will make them
                                          "fish for people."

                                          I envision Peter blurting out, "Can I be a carp, then?"

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 10, 2008
                                            From: "Chris McConnell" <cdmcconnell@...>

                                            The USCCB didn't exactly prohibit it; it was prohibited for them. :)

                                            >Rome clamped down on the NRSV after the Canadian bishops had already
                                            >published our lectionary, but before the US bishops published theirs.
                                            > So it was verboten in the US, and grandfathered in, as it were, in
                                            >Canada.

                                            It would be interesting to know who has the upper-hand at the "English desk"
                                            for liturgical texts in the Vatican. The lingistic anomalies which emerged
                                            in "Liturgiam Authenticam" indicates that someone -- a non-anglophone? --
                                            thinks that a common English translation will work wherever English is
                                            spoken. I doubt that even the most determined English-speaking Latinist
                                            would have produced "He took the chalice in his holy and venerable hands".
                                            Many turns of phrase suggest to me that the dominant voices in these matters
                                            are from England where the prejudice against even mild inclusive language is
                                            strongest. And that's not just a Catholic problem. A glance through the
                                            Church of England's "Common Worship" reveals lots of examples of maculinisms
                                            which don;t appear in Canadian, Australian, American and NZ rites.

                                          • asteresplanetai@jbburnett.com
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 10, 2008
                                              +++

                                              > Posted by: "Cfortunato@..." Cfortunato@... carl_fortunato

                                              > Those aren't my problems - I agree with those.? My problems are more
                                              > along the lines of them translating Psalm 1 as "Happy are those who do
                                              > not follow the advice of the wicked" instead of "Blessed is the man" of
                                              > "Blessed is the one."? Shifting the focus from the individual to the
                                              > collective changes the whole feeling of the thing, I think, and is a
                                              > significant difference.? (As a side note, our Orthodox friends regard
                                              > "Blessed in the man" as actually important, since the LXX has "andros"
                                              > not "anthropos" and they regard it as a reference to Christ.)

                                              can't and don't speak for all orthodox, but i should think there would be
                                              no problem seeing *ether* anêr or anthropos as a reference to christ.

                                              The problem is simply that the psalm actually says, in the original
                                              hebrew, in the ancient greek, latin, syriac, coptic, ethiopic, slavonic,
                                              armenian, and arabic translations, and in any other language that's been
                                              used in the church, "Blessed is the man", not "blessed is the one" or
                                              "blessed are those".

                                              > Another one that bothers me is translating Ezekiel's "Son of man" as
                                              > "Mortal" ("Mortal, can these bones live?").? I find that very
                                              > aesthetically unpleasing, and I think it makes God sound a lot like the
                                              > heavy in a science fiction movie.

                                              now here, 'son of man' *would* be taken as a reference to christ, and to
                                              say 'mortal' would efface that. so again, why change the wording if 'son
                                              of man' is actually what it says?

                                              sure, literal translations are sometimes problematic. But i think most
                                              orthodox (for whom i do not speak, this is just an impression) have less
                                              problem with a literal translation honored in all other historical
                                              translations, than with some johnny-come-lately scholar telling us what we
                                              "ought" to think.

                                              Why the problem with just saying what it says? Why not let the text create
                                              its own intertextual meanings? Or is this one more instance of modern
                                              academic hybris and elitism, which are fundamentally obscurantist at
                                              heart?

                                              Regards,

                                              john burnett.
                                            • bosco_petersnz
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 10, 2008
                                                Greetings

                                                Thanks for all that information
                                                I also found out about the Canadian RC edition:
                                                http://www.cccbpublications.ca/site/component/page,shop.browse/category_id,123/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,53/
                                                Being a liturgical nut
                                                I guess I will now have to buy both! :-)

                                                In NZ the Anglican situation is similar to what you describe in CofE.
                                                Down here Australia went this way first.
                                                So to bypass the Romaphobes here it was called the "Australian" set of
                                                readings.
                                                Then, for many years, because our liturgical commission did not
                                                understand that the liturgical year does not correspond with the
                                                secular year,
                                                NZ was always in Year 1 when the rest of the planet was in Year 2
                                                and 2 when the rest was in 1.
                                                It took them many many years for them finally to hear my protestations
                                                and now we are all happily in step :-)

                                                Blessings

                                                Bosco
                                                www.liturgy.co.nz

                                                --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Simon Kershaw <simon@...> wrote:

                                                > bosco_petersnz wrote:
                                                > > Are the readings for for this for the daily Eucharist the same as the
                                                > > RC daily readings, similar, or a completely different sequence?
                                                >
                                                > The passages are the same: the intention of ths lectionary is to ensure
                                                > that the same readings are read on the same days in the CofE as in the
                                                > RCC. The selections from the psams are slightly different -- usually a
                                                > few more verses are selected in the CofE version than were selected in
                                                > the Roman lectionary, where the psalms are sometimes extremely
                                                'filletted'.

                                                > The Daily Eucharistic Lectionary was first authorized in the Church of
                                                > England in 1980, as a minor adaptation of the Roman Ordo Lectionum
                                                > Missae. The revision in 2002 was if anything a conservative one,
                                                > restoring some of the few changes that had been made in the 1980
                                                > version. Until now there has not been a printed version of the CofE
                                                > provision, it being assumed that those who were going to use it
                                                > regularly would acquire a copy of the Roman Weekday Missal.
                                                >
                                                > simon
                                                >
                                                > --
                                                > Simon Kershaw
                                                > simon@...
                                                > Saint Ives, Cambridgeshire

                                              • Simon Kershaw
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Feb 10, 2008
                                                  bosco_petersnz wrote:
                                                  > Then, for many years, because our liturgical commission did not
                                                  > understand that the liturgical year does not correspond with the
                                                  > secular year,
                                                  > NZ was always in Year 1 when the rest of the planet was in Year 2
                                                  > and 2 when the rest was in 1.
                                                  > It took them many many years for them finally to hear my protestations
                                                  > and now we are all happily in step :-)

                                                  :-) We had similar tribulations in the CofE about Sundays after
                                                  Epiphany. For some years we were often one SUnday out from the rest of
                                                  the world. Now it has been corrected.

                                                  Incidentally, one further factor about my forthcoming Canterbury Press
                                                  edition is that it uses the 'Anglicized edition' of the NRSV, that is,
                                                  English not American spellings, and English not American idioms. The
                                                  Psalms are from the Common Worship psalter, set responsorially.

                                                  simon

                                                  --
                                                  Simon Kershaw
                                                  simon@...
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Feb 11, 2008
                                                    --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, asteresplanetai@... wrote:

                                                    > Or is this one more instance of modern
                                                    > academic hybris and elitism, which are fundamentally obscurantist at
                                                    > heart?

                                                    Hmmm ... I always thought it was POSTmodern academic hubris which is
                                                    obscurantist ... :)

                                                    Chris