Easter vigil and youth

  • Mark Preece
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8, 2008
      My apologies for a question that is at best tangential and at worst
      off topic, but I'm trying to get my (14 - 16 year old) Confirmation
      youth excited about the Easter Vigil -- coming to it, participating
      in it, maybe even investing some of their creativity and energy in
      it. Do you have any experience or thoughts on resources or
      approaches? I think it should be possible to engage their
      imaginations in this service; just curious if any of you have thoughts.

      Thanks and peace,

      Mark

      The Rev. Mark Preece
      Trinity Church (Episcopal)
      King of Prussia, PA
    • C. William Westerfield
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 8, 2008
        What a great opportunity to teach the youth about the service! I'd
        say work with the youth and device a "confirmation service project"
        and have them design the service...within the rubrics that allow for
        such creativity.

        I don't think this is off topic at all. We need to engage our youth
        and give them an equal ownership stake in the liturgy of the Church if
        we are to maintain our liturgical traditions.

        Deus Meus et Omnia,

        Will
        --
        Will Westerfield
        will@...

        Oblate Forum www.oblateforum.org
        "Welcome All As Christ" (RB)

        On Feb 8, 2008, at 10:36 AM, Mark Preece wrote:

        > My apologies for a question that is at best tangential and at worst
        > off topic, but I'm trying to get my (14 - 16 year old) Confirmation
        > youth excited about the Easter Vigil -- coming to it, participating
        > in it, maybe even investing some of their creativity and energy in
        > it. Do you have any experience or thoughts on resources or
        > approaches? I think it should be possible to engage their
        > imaginations in this service; just curious if any of you have
        > thoughts.
        >
        > Thanks and peace,
        >
        > Mark
        >
        > The Rev. Mark Preece
        > Trinity Church (Episcopal)
        > King of Prussia, PA

      • John Dornheim
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 8, 2008
          One thing whihc I did one year was to confirm my students at the
          Vigil. One way to guarantee that there will be people there! There are
          so many parts of a vigil that it shouldn't be difficult getting your
          students to participate in one way or another-reading, helping set
          things like the fire up, participating as acolytes, candlebearers, and
          so forth. If you made the Vigil a class project, I am sure things
          would go well. It always helps when youth feel a sense of ownership in
          things.
          John Dornheim

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 8, 2008
            Gosh yes - it is the historic time for baptisms and logically for
            confirmations as well.

            David Lewis

            In a message dated 2/8/2008 10:48:50 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            johndornheim@... writes:

            One thing whihc I did one year was to confirm my students at the
            Vigil. One way to guarantee that there will be people there! There are
            so many parts of a vigil that it shouldn't be difficult getting your
            students to participate in one way or another-reading, helping set
            things like the fire up, participating as acolytes, candlebearers, and
            so forth. If you made the Vigil a class project, I am sure things
            would go well. It always helps when youth feel a sense of ownership in
            things.
            John Dornheim

            48)

          • Michael
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 8, 2008
              If you can get it through, have them dramatize one of the readings for the
              Vigil.. I once saw a youth group dramatize the Genesis lesson, and it left
              and impression that has stayed with me a quarter of a century.

              Shalom b'Yeshua haMoshiach,

              +Mar Michael Abportus

              Bishop of La Porte

              Pastor: Congregation Benim Avraham

              mjthannisch@...

              HYPERLINK
              "http://www.freewebs.com/childrenofabraham/"http://www.freewebs.com/children
              ofabraham/

              http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1929216

              281-867-9081

              _____

              My apologies for a question that is at best tangential and at worst
              off topic, but I'm trying to get my (14 - 16 year old) Confirmation
              youth excited about the Easter Vigil -- coming to it, participating
              in it, maybe even investing some of their creativity and energy in
              it. Do you have any experience or thoughts on resources or
              approaches? I think it should be possible to engage their
              imaginations in this service; just curious if any of you have thoughts.

              Thanks and peace,

              Mark

              The Rev. Mark Preece
              Trinity Church (Episcopal)
              King of Prussia, PA

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              10:06 AM

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              10:06 AM

            • Bill Strehlow
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 8, 2008
                Well, a number of years ago in Chicago, when I was Interim Pastor at
                Immanuel Lutheran Church we had most exciting catechists...and sponsors...I
                was not in on the details...but Greg Singleton was a leader in the
                preparation for the Vigil...the kids were very excited. I suggest Greg be
                contacted on this.

                I would think the ROC is on this list.

                Bill Strehlow

                On Feb 8, 2008 5:15 PM, Michael <mjthannisch@...> wrote:

                > If you can get it through, have them dramatize one of the readings for
                > the
                > Vigil.. I once saw a youth group dramatize the Genesis lesson, and it left
                > and impression that has stayed with me a quarter of a century.
                >
                > Shalom b'Yeshua haMoshiach,
                >
                > +Mar Michael Abportus
                >
                > Bishop of La Porte
                >
                > Pastor: Congregation Benim Avraham
                >
                > mjthannisch@... <mjthannisch%40sbcglobal.net>
                >
                > HYPERLINK
                > "http://www.freewebs.com/childrenofabraham/"
                > http://www.freewebs.com/children
                > ofabraham/
                >
                > http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1929216
                >
                > 281-867-9081
                >
                > _____

                Bill Strehlow
                Geneva, Switzerland
                Lord, bless the bread you have giv'n
                and give bread to all who are hungry,
                give hunger for justice to those with bread
                Lord bless the bread you have given.

              • Krister Ulmanis
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 8, 2008
                  With 12 readings there should be additional opportunities for the
                  youth to get involved.
                  We do the procession through the various parts of the church for the
                  different parts of the service and some of the youth are happy to be
                  the guides for the processions.
                  Krister Ulmanis

                • Shirley
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 8, 2008
                    Or, have them sing as a choir for one of the choral responses. If you
                    have a choir, "Go Down Moses" is good. If not, then how about they sing
                    one of the hymnic responses themselves? That's if they're comfortable
                    with their singing voices.... many that age are not.

                    --Shirley

                    Krister Ulmanis wrote:

                    > With 12 readings there should be additional opportunities for the
                    > youth to get involved.
                    > We do the procession through the various parts of the church for the
                    > different parts of the service and some of the youth are happy to be
                    > the guides for the processions.
                    > Krister Ulmanis
                    >
                    > On Feb 8, 2008, at 10:48 AM, John Dornheim wrote:
                    >
                    > > One thing whihc I did one year was to confirm my students at the
                    > > Vigil. One way to guarantee that there will be people there! There are
                    > > so many parts of a vigil that it shouldn't be difficult getting your
                    > > students to participate in one way or another-reading, helping set
                    > > things like the fire up, participating as acolytes, candlebearers, and
                    > > so forth. If you made the Vigil a class project, I am sure things
                    > > would go well. It always helps when youth feel a sense of ownership in
                    > > things.
                    > > John Dornheim
                    > >
                    > > On 2/8/08, C. William Westerfield <will@...
                    > <mailto:will%40oblateforum.org>> wrote:
                    > > > What a great opportunity to teach the youth about the service! I'd
                    > > > say work with the youth and device a "confirmation service project"
                    > > > and have them design the service...within the rubrics that allow for
                    > > > such creativity.
                    > > >
                    > > > I don't think this is off topic at all. We need to engage our youth
                    > > > and give them an equal ownership stake in the liturgy of the
                    > > Church if
                    > > > we are to maintain our liturgical traditions.
                    > > >
                    > > > Deus Meus et Omnia,
                    > > >
                    > > > Will
                    > > > --
                    > > > Will Westerfield
                    > > > will@... <mailto:will%40oblateforum.org>
                    > > > Confrater, Saint Gregory's Abbey (Three Rivers, Anglican)
                    > > > Aspirant, Third Order - Society of Saint Francis - Province of the
                    > > > Americas (Anglican)
                    > > > Member, Vergers Guild of the Episcopal Church
                    > > >
                    > > > Oblate Forum www.oblateforum.org

                    > > worst
                    > > Confirmation
                    > > participating

                  • Michael
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 8, 2008
                      With all the suggestions, let us know what you do and how it comes out.
                      BTW, I didn�t mention confirmation because I thought that was a given. Also
                      non liturgical, but an excellent resource: Christian Formation HYPERLINK
                      "http://www.cfmin.org/"http://www.cfmin.org/

                      I translated this into Spanish for use in Honduras. It is a wonderful
                      programme.

                      Shalom b'Yeshua haMoshiach,

                      +Michael Joe Thannisch

                      mjthannisch@...