The early date for Ash Wednesday, Lent, Easter

  • bosco_petersnz
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2008
      Here's my post on this:

      http://www.liturgy.co.nz/worship/matters_files/dateofEaster20080201.html

      Sexagesima blessings ;-)

      Bosco
      www.liturgy.co.nz
    • Tom Poelker
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
        This a really wonderful and succinct article.

        Two questions:

        1. shouldn't the sub-head read
        Why are Ash Wednesday and Lent so
        early this year? [are not is]

        2. I thought the Quartodecimans were holding out for 14 Nissan not 14 Abib.
        Am I just confused or are there two naming systems here?

        Tom Poelker
        St. Louis, Missouri
        USA
        -- When you were born, you were crying
        and everyone around you was smiling.
        -- Live your life so at the end,
        you're the one who is smiling and
        everyone around you is crying.

        bpeters@... wrote:

        > Here's my post on this:
        >
        > http://www.liturgy.co.nz/worship/matters_files/dateofEaster20080201.html
        > <http://www.liturgy.co.nz/worship/matters_files/dateofEaster20080201.html>
        >
        > Sexagesima blessings ;-)
        >
        > Bosco
        > www.liturgy.co.nz

      • Tom Poelker
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
          or is Nissan the car and Nisan the month?
          Obviously I know little about automobiles or Hebrew.

          TomPoelker@... wrote:

          > This a really wonderful and succinct article.
          >
          > Two questions:
          >
          > 1. shouldn't the sub-head read
          > Why are Ash Wednesday and Lent so
          > early this year? [are not is]
          >
          > 2. I thought the Quartodecimans were holding out for 14 Nissan not 14
          > Abib.
          > Am I just confused or are there two naming systems here?
          >
          > Tom Poelker
          > St. Louis, Missouri
          > USA
          > -- When you were born, you were crying
          > and everyone around you was smiling.
          > -- Live your life so at the end,
          > you're the one who is smiling and
          > everyone around you is crying.
          >
          > bpeters@... <mailto:bpeters%40christscollege.com> wrote:
          >
          > > Here's my post on this:
          > >

          > http://www.liturgy.co.nz/worship/matters_files/dateofEaster20080201.html
          > <http://www.liturgy.co.nz/worship/matters_files/dateofEaster20080201.html>
          >

          > <http://www.liturgy.co.nz/worship/matters_files/dateofEaster20080201.html
          > <http://www.liturgy.co.nz/worship/matters_files/dateofEaster20080201.html>>
          > >
          > > Sexagesima blessings ;-)
          > >
          > > Bosco
          > > www.liturgy.co.nz

        • Simon Kershaw
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
            Tom Poelker wrote:
            > This a really wonderful and succinct article.

            One extra point that is almost alluded to but might perhaps be spelt out
            is that Pesach and Pascha (Passover and Passion) are intimately related
            etymologically.

            Furthermore, and perhaps an expert can correct me here -- were the
            Quartodecimans celebrating Easter on 14th day of the moon? Or were they
            celebrating the Passion on that date? Or was it simply the case that
            Passion and Pasch were not differentiated in the way that we
            differentitate between Good Friday and Easter Day?

            simon

            --
            Simon Kershaw
            simon@...
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2008
              --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Simon Kershaw <simon@...> wrote:

              > Furthermore, and perhaps an expert can correct me here -- were the
              > Quartodecimans celebrating Easter on 14th day of the moon? Or were
              they
              > celebrating the Passion on that date? Or was it simply the case that
              > Passion and Pasch were not differentiated in the way that we
              > differentitate between Good Friday and Easter Day?

              The entire mystery of the Passion, Death, and Resurrection was
              celebrated on that date. We often forget today that in those days, the
              only time the Church could corporately assemble in many places was in
              the overnight between dusk on Saturday and dawn on Sunday.

              As Churches were established that weren't under as substantial an
              amount of persecution, it became more and more frequent to add
              additional days in observance during what we now know as Holy Week.

              Rob+
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3, 2008
                The Asian fourteenthers in the 2nd century celebrated the passover of Christ from death to life in one night, which they calculated to be the Jewish passover. The differentiation of the days of Holy Week was a later development.

                Frank C. Senn