RE: [liturgy-l] Adrian Fortescue's "The Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described"

  • James Morgan
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2007
      I am the happy possessor of an early (1920) edition of Ceremonies of the
      Roman Rite Described. In the author's preface there are these delightful
      items:
      "With regard to the language and style something may be said here.
      Certainly no one will look to a book of ceremonies for fine style. Most of
      the directions given in this book, with elaborate detail, cn be hardly more
      agreeable to read than a railway guide. Yet it ought to be possible to
      write even a book of ceremonies in tolerable language. Above all, a book
      should be written , as far as possible, in one language at a time. In this
      case the language is English...."

      And this: "Two points occur which one might hope the authorities would
      simplify. One is the constant kissing. Certainly this is a very ancient
      sign of reverence; in some few cases, as, for instance, to kiss the hand of
      a bishop, no one would wish to see it abolished. But would not the actions
      gain in dignity if the endless kissing of objects and of the celebrant's
      hand by the deacon ceased? At such a simple action, so constantly repeated,
      as the deacon performs incensing, are eight "solita oscula." He has to kiss
      the spoon, the hand, the hand, the spoon; the thurible, the hand, the hand,
      the thurible. If only from the point of view of artistic effect these
      repeated inclinations of th head are not graceful. If all kissing were
      reduced to the chief cases of the paten and chalice and at certain more
      important moments, of the hand of the bishop, the general effect of a
      ceremony would be calmer.....In the same way, have we not rather too much
      genuflection? Etc etc...he waxes warmer on this.

      Rdr. James
      Olympia.
      No you cannot have this book. You will have to pry it from my cold dead
      hands..Hah!