Advent Wreath Direction?

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
      Easy to figure out which candle to light first...the one across from
      the rose one. But which one do we light next week? Do we go to the
      right or clockwise, or something else? Or shall we debate it until
      Christmas? ;)
      --
      Scott R. Knitter
      Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
        Or, if one uses Sarum colors, there would be four blue candles.

        Would you believe that somehow today we were confronted with a wreath with
        three blue and one rose candle? Nobody seems to know who did it - the
        intention a year ago was to go to all blue, since we use Sarum rather than Latin
        Rite colors. Speaking of mix and match ...

        David Lewis

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
          Does it make any sense to have a rose candle for Gaudate if there is no Gaudate Sunday? I mean, without the historic introits, how can you tell? In any event, the Advent wreath originated in Lutheran lands in eastern Germany and the only color of candles used was white. But these things have a way of taking off in different directions. I saw an Advent wreath with green, blue, rose, and purple candles. I have no idea what the order was supposed to be. But I am sure the owner of the wreath had an elaborate explanation.

          Frank C. Senn

          Scott Knitter <scottknitter@...> wrote: Easy to figure out which candle to light first...the one across from

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
            That's the thing...we do have Gaudete Sunday at Ascension, Chicago,
            with Gaudete introit and all.

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
              Most don't---which makes the rose candle difficult to explain.We use white.

              Frank C. Senn

              Scott Knitter <scottknitter@...> wrote: That's the thing...we do have Gaudete Sunday at Ascension, Chicago,
              with Gaudete introit and all.

              On 12/2/07, Frank Senn <fcsenn@...> wrote:

              > Does it make any sense to have a rose candle for Gaudate if there is no Gaudate Sunday? I mean, without the historic introits, how can you tell?

              --
              Scott R. Knitter
              Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA

            • Lewis H Whitaker
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                I can hear Douglas Cowling gritting his teeth already...

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                  There is a custom in some places to use white candles for all four Sundays.
                  That's what I use in the wreath on my dining room table - indeed, in many
                  quarters an Advent wreath really is a home rather than church devotion!

                  David Lewis

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                    On 12/2/07 9:31 PM, "Lewis H Whitaker" <aspern@...> wrote:

                    > I can hear Douglas Cowling gritting his teeth already...

                    Both my wife and I forgot to buy candles of whatever colour this year. I
                    think that's where the Great O Antiphons come from ... We both said, "Oh!"
                    when we realized our mistake.

                    St. Philip's Church, Toronto
                  • Michael
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                      I believe they use red candles in Germany. We use the Sarum blue here, and
                      strictly for home devotions.

                      Shalom b'Yeshua haMoshiach,

                      +Michael Joe Thannisch

                      mjthannisch@...

                      http://www.freewebs.com/childrenofabraham/

                      281-303-3671

                      _____

                      aspern@mindspring. <mailto:aspern%40mindspring.com> com writes:

                      I can hear Douglas Cowling gritting his teeth already...

                    • Janet Roth
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
                        When I was growing up we ALWAYS used white candles with purple
                        ribbons since in our small town it was not easy to find purple
                        candles and even then they were quite expensive.

                        Alas now that the boys are grown --- and since my husband became
                        Orthodox about ten years ago -- we don't do an Advent wreath at
                        home. I did see an Advent wreath in my husband's parish bookstore
                        once that had six or seven candles to accomodate their longer
                        Nativity fast.

                        Janet Roth
                        On Dec 2, 2007, at 6:33 PM, dlewisaao@... wrote:

                        > There is a custom in some places to use white candles for all four
                        > Sundays.
                        > That's what I use in the wreath on my dining room table - indeed,
                        > in many
                        > quarters an Advent wreath really is a home rather than church
                        > devotion!
                        >
                        > David Lewis

                      • PETER ROBINSON
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 3, 2007
                          In my neck of the woods (Lincolnshire and Yorkshire) the Advent wreath crept in during the 1980s usually with four red candles, and later than that amongst our mainly - at that time - Irish Catholics. I understand the idea behind it but think it is a little bit "twee."

                          In the USA candles of the liturgically correct colours seem to be favoured for Church use, but it seems a little unneccessary. In the small churches I have served since I moved to the USA I am afraid the Advent wreath become just another piece of liturgical clutter to walk around. On the whole, if it comes to a choice between room for the thurible stand and having the Advent Wreath the latter looses every time.

                          Yours,

                          The Rev. Peter D. Robinson, F.S.S.M.
                          Rector: St Paul's Anglican Church (UECNA), Prescott, AZ
                          http://www.prescott-anglican.org

                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 3, 2007
                            My parish is Anglo-Catholic and uses "real"candles for everything except the
                            six office lights. For nearly 10 years we have used fake candles for same,
                            with real candle inserts. They need to be taken down every few weeks, but
                            the cost and appearance is better than using real candles for these six.

                            David Lewis

                            In a message dated 12/3/2007 6:35:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                            skreed1@... writes:

                            I share your feelings. Our parish is (always has been) a rather high
                            Anglo-Catholic parish. After factoring in the labor to keep up with
                            the oil filled candles, we have found them simply not worth the effort
                            except in limited places.

                            For our acolyte's torches and the weekday Low Mass candles they work
                            well for us. The ones we have, are the same size as the candle
                            followers, so one really can not tell other than these never get shorter.

                            For the rest of the candles (and we have a lot) the long term payback
                            we decided was not worth the labor of keeping up with them. The six
                            large candles can not really even be reached without taking them down.
                            Using 51% beeswax we figured we could pay for the change in about 2
                            years, but could not "afford" the labor to keep them all filled 2-3
                            times a month for some, others weekly.

                            With the regular candles, there is never a problem with knowing how
                            long they will burn.

                            Have any others considered the oil filled and chosen not to use them?

                          • Art Hebbeler
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
                              We have no wreath this year in the church, since we no longer own our
                              building, but rent from another church body (long story, not for here).
                              While there are sad comments made about no wreath, I have encouraged (and
                              have taught for the 7 years I've been here) that the Advent wreath is for
                              home use.

                              YMMV.

                              Art Hebbeler

                              --This message has been virus-checked prior to sending--