Naming Trinity

  • Tom Poelker
    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 22, 2007
      I have encountered this prayer conclusion.
      "We ask this in the name of our God, + Source of All Being, Eternal
      Word, and Holy Spirit."

      I am familiar with the objection to trinitarian naming which reduces the
      persons to only one of their functions which this version seems to do
      for the Father.

      How does it strike you to name the persons, each with one of their
      personal names? For example,
      We ask this in the name of God who is Yahweh, Jesus, and Sophia.

      My first question is whether Yahweh names God completely or just the Father.

      St. Louis, Missouri
      USA
      ---
      It is not we who do Christ the favor of
      worshiping him; it is Christ who
      empowers us by strengthening us, and
      enabling us to fight for the things that
      are worth fighting for, the things that endure;
      and that is a promise worth fighting for,
      worth dying for, and worth living for.
      -- Peter Gomes, "Strength for the Journey."

    • MMonty
      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 6, 2007