The Martyrdom of Saint John the Baptist

  • Rev. Jerry Kliner
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 26, 2007
      A question regarding the calendar and breviary:

      I see that Wednesday is the memorial of the Martyrdom of Saint John the
      Baptist... This has not been on the breviary of the Lutheran Book of
      Worship (LBW). It is on the Lutheran Worship (LW) calendar. I don't
      have an Evangelical Lutheran Worship (ELW) book handy, nor my Lutheran
      Service Book (LSB), so I don't know if it is carried into either of
      these new books...

      Does anyone know the history of this memorial, why it was not in LBW,
      and if it is in ELW/LSB? I am planning on celebrating the day (I am
      assuming the color for the day is RED...) for our mid-week mass at
      Cross of Grace.

      Thanks!

      Pax Christi;
      Pr. Jerry Kliner, STS
    • john19
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 26, 2007
        No, Jerry, the day is still not on the Lutheran calendar nor
        is it, I believe, on the Anglican calendar. It is difficult
        to say why this is, aside from the fact that John is
        commemorated on his nativity. While the color for his birth
        is white, I think red would be appropriate for the day in
        question. For a collect, you might consider:
        God our Father,
        You called John the Baptist
        to be the herald of Your Son's birth and death.
        As he gave his life in witness to truth and justice,
        so may we strive to profess our faith in Your gospel.
        Grant this through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son,
        who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit,
        one God, for ever and ever. +Amen.
        Perhaps, a hagiographer here might offer more insight.
        John Dornheim

        > A question regarding the calendar and breviary:
        >
        > I see that Wednesday is the memorial of the Martyrdom of
        > Saint John the Baptist... This has not been on the
        > breviary of the Lutheran Book of Worship (LBW). It is on
        > the Lutheran Worship (LW) calendar. I don't have an
        > Evangelical Lutheran Worship (ELW) book handy, nor my
        > Lutheran Service Book (LSB), so I don't know if it is
        > carried into either of these new books...
        >
        > Does anyone know the history of this memorial, why it was
        > not in LBW, and if it is in ELW/LSB? I am planning on
        > celebrating the day (I am assuming the color for the day
        > is RED...) for our mid-week mass at Cross of Grace.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Pax Christi;
        > Pr. Jerry Kliner, STS

        "When you come to the edge of all the light you know, and
        are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown,
        faith is knowing one of two things will happen: There will
        be something solid to stand on or you will be taught how to
        fly." — Barbara J. Winter
      • Simon Kershaw
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 26, 2007
          john19 wrote:
          > No, Jerry, the day is still not on the Lutheran calendar nor
          > is it, I believe, on the Anglican calendar. It is difficult

          There isn't a single 'Anglican Calendar'. However, the Beheading of John
          the Baptist is in the calendar of the (1662) Book of Common Prayer, and
          is also in the modern English calendar (in the 'Common Worship' calendar).

          Common Worship provides a differnt collect for 29 Aug (as opposed to 24
          June), namely

          Almighty God,
          who called your servant John the Baptist
          to be the forerunner of your Son in birth and death:
          strengthen us by your grace
          that, as he suffered for the truth,
          so we may boldly resist corruption and vice
          and receive with him the unfading crown of glory;
          through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,
          who is alive and reigns with you,
          in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
          one God, now and for ever.

          http://excitingholiness.org/first-edition/index.cgi?m08/d29.html

          simon

          --
          Simon Kershaw
          simon@...
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 26, 2007
            On 8/26/07 10:28 AM, "john19" <john19@...> wrote:

            > No, Jerry, the day is still not on the Lutheran calendar nor
            > is it, I believe, on the Anglican calendar. It is difficult
            > to say why this is, aside from the fact that John is
            > commemorated on his nativity. While the color for his birth
            > is white, I think red would be appropriate for the day in
            > question

            John the Baptist is the only saint, other than the Virgin Mary, who has two
            celebrations for his earthly and heavenly birthdays -- he's also the only
            saint whose two feast days are recorded in scripture. The Nativity is white
            and the Beheading is Red. The latter is still a holy day in most Anglican
            calendars. August 29 is is not linked with June 24 so is probably a
            memorial of translation of his relics, wherever they supposedly are.

            Paul VI, in a rather sly bit of wit, raised a rather unwilling colleague to
            the cardinalate as titular to a Roman parish of the "Beheading of John the
            Baptist." Evidently, the pope's friend had being saying for decades that he
            was was more likely to have his head chopped off than receive advancement in
            the church.

            St. Philip's Church, Toronto
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 26, 2007
              In a message dated 8/26/2007 4:05:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              dcowling@... writes:

              John the Baptist is the only saint, other than the Virgin Mary, who has two
              celebrations for his earthly and heavenly birthdays -- he's also the only
              saint whose two feast days are recorded in scripture. The Nativity is white
              and the Beheading is Red. The latter is still a holy day in most Anglican
              calendars. August 29 is is not linked with June 24 so is probably a
              memorial of translation of his relics, wherever they supposedly are.

              Both dates have been observed by Anglo-Catholics for some time. The former
              date was in the 1928 BCP and continues into the 1979 BCP; however, the latter
              date has yet to make it into Lesser Feasts & Fasts, while still being on the
              calendar of parishes like mine.

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 26, 2007
                On 8/26/07 4:34 PM, "dlewisaao@..." <dlewisaao@...> wrote:

                > Both dates have been observed by Anglo-Catholics for some time. The former
                > date was in the 1928 BCP and continues into the 1979 BCP; however, the latter
                > date has yet to make it into Lesser Feasts & Fasts, while still being on the
                > calendar of parishes like mine.

                That's the American BCP calendar, the Anglican Church of Canada places it
                among "Other Holy Days". The Nativity is a "Principal Holy Day".

                St. Philip's Church, Toronto
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 26, 2007
                  In a message dated 8/26/2007 7:25:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  dcowling@... writes:

                  That's the American BCP calendar, the Anglican Church of Canada places it
                  among "Other Holy Days". The Nativity is a "Principal Holy Day".

                  The current TEC BCP includes the Nativity of St John the Baptist among the
                  "other feasts of Our Lord," with the others being Holy Name, Presentation,
                  Annunciation, Visitation, Transfiguration and Holy Cross. On this list only
                  Holy Name, Presentation & Transfiguration take precedence of a Sunday. Add to
                  this list the feast of the dedication of a church and the feast of its patron
                  or title, which may be transferred a Sunday except in Advent, Lent and Easter.

                  The principal feasts are Easter Day, Ascension Day, Pentecost, Trinity, All
                  Saints', Christmas Day & Epiphany.

                • Dave Totsky
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 27, 2007
                    While missing from Lutheran Worship (1982), the new Lutheran Service Book (2006) used within The Lutheran Church -- Missouri Synod recovers the celebration of this festival and lists the martyrdom of St. John the Baptist (Aug 29) among the Feasts and Festivals of the Church Year, p. xxiii. This has precedence within the German Lutheranism and kirchenordnungen dating back to the 16th Century.

                    Rev David Totsky

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 28, 2007
                      The Beheading of St. John Baptist (August 29th) is one of the minor commemorations restored to the English BCP in 1560. As a holyday it was probably little observed as the 1559/1662 BCP makes provision only for Sundays and Major Holydays. It would have acquired its own Collect, Epistle and Gospel had the proposed 1928 BCP made it through parliament.

                      The Beheading of SJB was removed from the PECUSA BCP in 1789, and was never restored.

                      The Very Rev. Peter D. Robinson
                      Rector: St Paul's Anglican Church, Prescott, AZ
                      Dean of Arizona, ACA:DOW
                      http://www.prescottanglican.ozonez.com