Re: [SPAM] [liturgy-l] Good Friday and the Jews

    Message 1 of 57 , Jul 15, 2007
      From the 1962 Missale Romanum, in the Roman Catholic Daily Missal:

      FOR CONVERSION OF THE JEWS
      Oremus et pro Judaeis: ut Deus et Dominus noster auferat velamen de
      cordibus eorum: ut et ipsi agnoscant Jesum Christum Dominum nostrum.

      Oremus. Flectamus genua. Levate.

      Omnipotens sempiterne Deus, qui etiam Judaeos a tua misericordia non
      repellis: exaudi preces nostras, quas pro illius populi obcaecatione
      deferimus: ut, agnita veritatis tuae luce, quae Christus est, a suis
      tenebris eruantur. Per eumdem Dominum nostrum. Amen.

      Let us pray also for the Jews: that our God and Lord would remove the
      veil from their hearts: that they also may acknowledge our Lord Jesus
      Christ.

      Let us pray. Let us bend the knee. Arise.

      Almighty and everlasting God, who drivest not away from thy mercy even
      the Jews: hear our prayers which we offer for the blindness of that
      people: that acknowledging the light of thy truth, which is Christ,
      they may be rescued from their darkness. Through the same our Lord.
      Amen.

      The older version is the same, except the Jews are called "perfidis
      Judaeis" and "Judaicam perfidaiam," in the St Andrew Daily Missal
      (1952) translated "faithless Jews."

      --
      Scott R. Knitter
      Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA
      Message 57 of 57 , Jul 21, 2007
        I'm sure we were all remembering that as we sang it at an increasing
        tempo, to a take-me-out-to-the-ballgame organ accompaniment. :) The
        pastor had abandoned the final procession to get close to the screen
        and hop up and down.

        Not condemning here, just saying it seems like a very different world
        at my parents' church.