Re: [liturgy-l] The Sanctoral Calendar - Problems and Solutions?

  • Simon Kershaw
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
      Robert Lyons wrote:
      > Since I know that NO ONE is going to go for a proposal to radically
      > alter the liturgical year (well, except for me) what thoughts does
      > everyone have on the best ways to commemorate the feasts of saints?

      Depends who the saint is and how important the commemoration is. Whilst
      one might disrupt the lectio continua for an important commemoration, it
      is unnecessary to do so for every commemoration.

      Even so, with out interrupting the lectio continua one might have some
      or all of: a proper collect or 'opening prayer'; a brief sentence or two
      about the commemoration after the opening greeting; optionally an
      additional non-biblical reading; mention in the prayers of the faithful
      (or custom intercessions where appropriate and available) and/or in the
      eucharistic prayer; proper post-communion prayer; possibly the
      appropriate liturgical colour.

      All of these can also alludce to the season -- a commemoration which
      will often occur in Lent, for example, can have a proper collect at is
      Lenten as well as commemorating the person; one that is frequently in
      Eastertide can proclaim the resurrection as well as the commemoration.
      Similarly for any 'custom' intercessions / prayer of the faithful.

      simon

      --
      Simon Kershaw
      simon@...
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
        I was referring to the dividing of the year into quarters by
        the dates of the conceptions and births of Jesus and John in
        accord with the cycle based on three-quarters of the year
        from conception to birth and Elizabeth being a half-year
        pregnant when Jesus was conceived as being on the same date
        when he died. Quartodecimans (sp?)of the world unite!

        I don't know why the English church has this anomaly with
        St. Michael.

        I just fell unconsciously into using the "quarter day"
        terminology. I've gotten myself into trouble other places
        when I use specific terminology without realizing it just
        because the words come trippingly to the tongue (That seems
        familiar.).

        Thank you for the correction and likely opinion on the
        dating of the feast of the birth of John the Baptist. I was
        writing from my memory of the theory rather than from my
        rather small memory of feast dates.

        Tom Poelker
        St. Louis, Missouri
        USA
        ---
        It is not we who do Christ the favor of
        worshiping him; it is Christ who
        empowers us by strengthening us, and
        enabling us to fight for the things that
        are worth fighting for, the things that endure;
        and that is a promise worth fighting for,
        worth dying for, and worth living for.
        -- Peter Gomes, "Strength for the Journey."