Re: [liturgy-l] Digest Number 2592

  • asteresplanetai
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2007
      christ is risen!

      re: http://www.patriarchia.ru/db/text/223484.html,
      Tom Poelker wrote:

      > looks fascinating, I wish I knew what all the different
      > things were and what was being added from each pot.
      >
      > What is the basic recipe for Chrism?
      > I thought it was basically oil and wine, but don't really know.

      i used to have the exact recipe somewhere, but can't find it; sorry
      to disappoint. Anyway, the base is olive oil, of course, but there
      are many, many herbs and spices; the mixture is boiled for a week or
      something like that, and priests pray over it continually the whole
      time. One other important aspect is that it's like sourdough bread--
      you always add the remainder of the last batch to the current batch,
      so there is always some connection with the earliest chrism ever
      made. One of those apostolic tradition things.

      regards from dry, clear kampala,

      john burnett
    • Ormonde Plater
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 9, 2007
        Or you could go out and buy a bottle of Oil of Olay.

        Ormonde Plater
        oplater@...