Re: [liturgy-l] "Terrade Fatima"

  • asteresplanetai
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 26, 2007
      +++

      > 1. "Terrade Fatima"
      > Posted by: "C. William Westerfield" will@... pcanond
      > Date: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:10 am ((PDT))
      >
      > I am trying to learn the history and use of the phrase "terrade
      > fatima". A friend has medal with this phrase. I've looked it up and
      > found strict interpretations in Latin Dictionaries for each of the
      > two words. The online encyclopedias that I've searched only refer to
      > the phrase in the context of a religious relic. Any assistance would
      > be greatly appreciated.

      let's see how many others have answered this before I have:

      that would be "terra de fatima", i.e., "[a particle of] earth from
      fatima".

      the medal has a small ampule with some dirt in it?

      Alternatively, it would be a memento from the "land of fatima" but
      given that fatima is a town, not a land, i suspect that is less
      likely. But there are medals that say "terra sancta", i.e., "The Holy
      Land".

      regards from rainy (but not enough!) kampala,

      john burnett