passion gospels

  • Ormonde Plater
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2007
      For those who have been asking, Church Publishing Corp. now provides a downloadable version of my chant edition of the Passion Gospels (BCP 1979). The RCL version is still in the works.

      See http://www.churchpublishing.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&ProductID=647

      Ormonde Plater
      oplater@...

    • cantor03@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2007
        Ormonde-

        I've participated in chanting all of the Passion Gospels [Matthew, Mark,
        Luke, and John]
        at one time or another via the versions completed many years ago by Mason
        Martens.

        I've done likewise with the current Roman Rite versions available from GIA
        Publishers.

        I haven't seen your versions, but I'm curious how they differ from those
        above?

        Is it mostly that the texts are more gender neutral? Are there other
        significant variations?

        Thanks.

        David Strang - Who will, as has been the case in recent years, be in the
        rear gallery
        observing three clergymen chanters attempt to get through the traditional
        Latin
        versions on Palm Sunday and Good Friday.
        http://www.aol.com

      • Simon Kershaw
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2007
          Ormonde Plater wrote:
          > For those who have been asking, Church Publishing Corp. now provides
          > a downloadable version of my chant edition of the Passion Gospels
          > (BCP 1979). The RCL version is still in the works.
          >
          > See http://www.churchpublishing.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&ProductID=647

          Great -- can you tell us which translation this is based on. Is it the
          RSV? I don't suppose it's the NRSV perchance.

          simon

          --
          Simon Kershaw
          simon@...
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2007
            David,

            The texts are NRSV, which is gender neutral for people. I also made some musical choices which are different from Mason's, although I would hardly call them major. The RCL version (in the works) involves longer texts, starting with the Last Supper in the synoptic gospels.