Re: [liturgy-l] Re:Questions re Confirmation

    Message 1 of 56 , Feb 5, 2007
      In a message dated 2/5/2007 12:06:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      frpeterdr@... writes:

      In my home parish in England confirmations happened only every second or
      third year, so those of us who came through in the off years had the
      option of either being confirmed in another parish, or of being admitted
      to communion pending confirmation. I chose the latter, and was
      confirmed when the bishop made his next visit the follow July. This
      practice is allowed by the 1662 BCP, I suspect this provision was made
      because of the huge size of most English dioceses in the 17th and 18th
      centuries, and the impossibility of gaining confirmation in the Colonies
      prior to Colonial Bishoprics Act of 1786.

      The popular insistence on confirmation as being the gate to full
      membership of the Church is a product of interaction of the nineteenth
      century Evangelical and High Church revivals in what was then PECUSA.
      Evangelicals used confirmation as the sacramental counterpart to
      conversion, whilst High Churchman restored it to its mediaeval use as
      the sacrament that admitted one to Communion.

      In the mid-20th century theologians pushed for the restoration of
      baptism as THE sacrament of initiation. The Episcopal Church Canons now
      reflect this requiring that members be baptized before admission to full
      church membership, but I understand it, it regards confirmation as
      desireable, but not compulsory.

      Peter+, what you say reflects my understanding as well. One contextual
      addition would seem to be that the RCs admit (baptized) children to Communion
      when they are around 5 or 6, making such an important spiritual marker in their
      lives, and then confirm at a later date (often by a senior priest such as a
      monsignor). Another would be that the Orthodox effectively confirm at the
      same time as baptism. Then there are the Protestant churches that baptize only
      at the age of reason and do not have confirmation ... And per what you have
      noted above, the Episcopal Church has now returned to the earlier Christian
      practice of baptism being the sacrament that admits one to Communion, thus
      positioning Confirmation as a time for "a mature public affirmation of faith and

      Reading the 1979 BCP rubrics, it appears that confirmation is expected of
      those "baptized at an early age." Adults, "unless baptized with laying on of
      hands by a bishop," are also expected to do likewise but the options are
      confirmation, reception or reaffirmation. The Catholic view of confirmation is
      that if such has taken place at the hands of a bishop in another church in
      apostolic succession, that suffices and the appropriate action in the Episcopal
      Church is reception.

      However, the position statement issued by the appropriate commissions at the
      time states: "When a person who has been baptized in some other fellowship
      of Christians wishes to become a member of the Episcopal Church, it is
      desirable and appropriate that this person be presented to the Bishop as
      representing the world-wide episcopate, and that the new relationship be blessed with
      the laying on of hands and a recommissioning to Christian service." My
      observation is that in many places, accordingly, an adult coming into the Episcopal
      Church may be received even if per the Catholic viewpoint a bishop in
      apostolic orders had not laid hands on him/her.

      Of course, in a situation where a Roman Catholic coming into the Episcopal
      Church had been confirmed by a priest rather than by a bishop, what would be
      the appropriate action - reception or confirmation?

      And to throw another element into the mix: rectors are required by canon
      law to prepare and present the faithful for confirmation. I gather that this
      injunction should be taken as effectively putting a high priority on Christian
      education of the sort that would prepare people for a "mature commitment

    • Karen Marie Knapp
      Message 56 of 56 , Feb 22, 2007
        At 01:31 PM 2/22/2007, you wrote:
        >I am looking for a good resource for a chanted setting for the Passion of
        >St. John for Good Friday. Any thoughts?

        There's a good one that's been used at my parish for many
        years. It's credited to R. Weakland and Michael Batcho, a local
        composition. I don't have a copy, but Michael Batcho would probably
        be able to help --- c/o Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, 831 N.
        Van Buren St., Milwaukee WI 53202.

        karen marie