Lit & Entertaiment Culture

  • Tom Poelker
    Message 1 of 70 , Feb 1, 2007
      Thank you for the correction.
      What I should have said is that liturgy leaders are not
      entertainers.

      I think that among the ways we can describe US society is to
      say that we are an entertainment culture. We have more free
      time than any other culture in history. Sports are
      entertainment not participatory. News has become
      entertainment. In the same way as it happened with the
      news, I see entertainment values assumed without question in
      so much liturgical planning and performance. That includes
      such things as pushing for variety and the newest or latest
      thing. It includes performances which draw attention to
      themselves instead of conveying text to the assembly.

      Would anyone like to contribute other items of entertainment
      values infiltrating liturgy?

      Tom Poelker
      St. Louis, Missouri
      USA
      ---
      Bad liturgy is always the result
      of bad planning and sloppy execution.
      It doesn't matter what the rite is.
      --Doug Cowling
      St. Philip's Church, Toronto

      James O'Regan wrote:

      > Tom (et al) wrote and I snipped:
      >
      > > Liturgy leaders are not performers, although they definitely
      > > need and often lack performance skills, nor are they
      > > curators of cultural treasures.
      >
      > To say that liturgical leaders are not performes is
      > simply not useful. In fact, if one says that these leaders
      > need "performance skills" then one is saying that these
      > leaders are, in fact, performers. They are not actors
      > because they are not in a play. It is really quite simple
      > and need not bother anyone needlessly.
      >
      > If one sees these leaders as performers then there is a
      > wealth of help for them. Liturgical leaders do not need
      > leadership skills, they need performance skills. They
      > need the type of performance skills that works in this
      > scenario: an occasion of a single performer speaking
      > an alien text before witnesses, and occasionally
      > speaking these texts with witnesses and in response to
      > witnesses. And occasionally speaking their own words,
      > but, by and large, speaking someone else's words.
      >
      > James O'Regan

    • James O'Regan
      Message 70 of 70 , Feb 6, 2007
        James asked:

        > could you put them and the ms on methodology in the files for this group
        > or on your own website?

        Regardless of acceptance, my bank manager-account and She-
        Who-Must-Be-Obeyed insist on commercializing all that I do
        per projects since I am not funded in any way. Ergo, a MS
        ought to come along within the year as an eBook on Amazon. If
        the journals do publish, I'll post the bibliography.

        Tom's list is very good and simply by asking how each can
        physically and actually happen, one is very close to anything
        that I have been researching: how does it (whatever "it" is)
        work? Not what do people or the Church (has always said) say
        about "it." By examining how any claim for liturgy actually
        works, and that means also finding the right questions to ask,
        one is on the right track, an effective track and a useful track.

        James O'Regan
        http://www.jamesoregan.com
        tel 613-824-4706