Credo in Credenza

  • triplum@interlog.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2000
      >>I would like to know more about creedence tables - where the usage came
      >>from, how it relates to the Lutheran worship and how one introduces it to a
      >>congregation. In other words - we don't have it here but will be and so I
      >>want to make sure we can do some education before it is introduced.

      Credence tables have nothing to do with the creed -- pace pious
      Anglo-Catholics -- but rather are just the credenzas of artistocratic
      dining rooms. A noble figure would have all of the food he was eating
      placed and guarded on a side table. His taster would check the food and
      the noble could "believe" that it was safe -- ecco credenza! Now, dining
      with the Borgias was another matter ...

      Doug Cowling
      St. Mary Magdalene's, Toronto