Re: [liturgy-l] New Coptic Orthodox church in Milwaukee

  • DJP4LAW@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2007
      I note with interest that the church has pews. I am surprised by that. Should I be? I know of other Orthodox churches that have pews, but I understood that pews are discouraged in Orthodox churches. It must be more complicated than that, eh?

      Peace
      Dwight Penas
      Minneapolis
      ____________________________
      "Certainly there is no contending against the Will of God; but still there is some difficulty in ascertaining, and applying it, to particular cases." --A. Lincoln (1858)

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2007
        I don't know the 'definitive' answer to that. I've seen photos of Coptic
        churches in Cairo Egypt that have pews. But the monastic churches in Egypt
        do not have pews at all. Seems a kind of western innovation that came in.
        There are also churches in Thessalonika that have chairs lined up in rows,
        so it seems that the 'rule' is sometimes honored in the breach.

        Probably a subject for an Mdiv thesis!
        Then there's that lovely article in Project Canterbury: A History of
        Pues....but it covers only the west.

        Rdr. James
        Olympia, WA

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2007
          Coptic Churches, at least those outside of Monasteries, have pews. In fact so do most Orthodox Churches throughout the Mediterranean. Only in the Slavic areas do you see active Churches without pews in any large number.