creedence table

  • Krister Ulmanis
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2000
      Learned friends,
      I would like to know more about creedence tables - where the usage came
      from, how it relates to the Lutheran worship and how one introduces it to a
      congregation. In other words - we don't have it here but will be and so I
      want to make sure we can do some education before it is introduced.
      Thank you for your help.
      Krister

      Krister Ulmanis
      Sault Ste. Marie, ON
      <suskas@...>

      "If God is our father, then surely the church is our mother.
      In her arms, I have discovered life."
      Martin Luther
    • Steve Benner
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2000
        At 08:43 AM 12/2/00 -0500, you wrote:
        >Learned friends,
        >I would like to know more about creedence tables - where the usage came
        >from, how it relates to the Lutheran worship and how one introduces it to a
        >congregation. In other words - we don't have it here but will be and so I
        >want to make sure we can do some education before it is introduced.

        The credence table is just a shelf or other small table at the side where
        the elements used to be kept (before the days of offertory processions) and
        where the vessels are usually kept nowadays (if one doesn't veil them on
        the altar proper). This is from the Anglican perspective. I can't imagine
        that this is going to require much of an explanation to a congregation,
        unless perhaps you will no longer be veiling the vessels before the
        service. In which case, it would be easy to say that we don't veil the
        vessels before the Mass because we want to focus on the Liturgy of the Word
        and not draw attention to the altar until it's time for the Liturgy of the
        Table.

        Steve Benner
        steve@...
        Oremus -- Daily Prayer, Liturgical Resources, Online Hymnal since 1993
        http://www.oremus.org
      • Chip Chillington
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2000
          Krister,
          If there is one thing I have learned from this list it is not to
          assume that anyone else means the same thing I do by a
          particular term<g>

          For this Episcopalian a credence table (or shelf) would refer to
          a small ecclesiastical sideboard in the area of the alter used for
          vessels etc. that will be needed for the service . It keeps the alter
          from being cluttered.

          What to you mean by credence table?

          Chip

          On 2 Dec 2000, at 8:43, Krister Ulmanis wrote:

          > I would like to know more about creedence tables - where the usage came
          > from, how it relates to the Lutheran worship and how one introduces it to
          > a congregation. In other words - we don't have it here but will be and so
          > I want to make sure we can do some education before it is introduced.

          The Rev. J H Chillington
          St. Stephen's Episcopal Church
          215 N 7th Street
          Terre Haute, IN 47807 (812) 232 5165
          mailto:j.h.chillington@...
        • Michael T. Hiller
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2000
            Tell them it's shelving. They'll understand.

            On 02/12/00 05:43, "Krister Ulmanis" <suskas@...> wrote:

            > Learned friends,
            > I would like to know more about creedence tables - where the usage came
            > from, how it relates to the Lutheran worship and how one introduces it to a
            > congregation. In other words - we don't have it here but will be and so I
            > want to make sure we can do some education before it is introduced.
            > Thank you for your help.
            > Krister

            > Krister Ulmanis
            > Sault Ste. Marie, ON
            > <suskas@...>
            >

            > "If God is our father, then surely the church is our mother.
            > In her arms, I have discovered life."
            > Martin Luther

            The Rev. Mr. Michael T. Hiller
            Associate Pastor for Community and Liturgical Life
            Saint Francis Lutheran Church, San Francisco, CA.
            Mailto:priestly@...
            http://www.st-francis-lutheran.org