RE: [liturgy-l] From the UK list[Fwd: O magnum mysterium]

  • Robert J. Riley
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2000
      <<<
      its history, how it came to be included in the Divine Office, and why it
      became so popular?

      I believe you are referring to a responsory to a Sermon by St. Leo the Pope
      in the Second Nocturn of Matins for the Nativity of Our Lord (Christmas
      Day). The Anglican Breviary has for it:

      R. How great the mystery, fraught with a wondrous, hidden meaning, that
      beasts should behold the newborn Lord, lying in the manger; * Blessed art
      thou, O Virgin, whose womb was made meet to bear the Lord Christ. [V. Hail
      Mary, full of grace; the Lord is with thee. Blessed art.]

      Pius Parsch does not comment on the response specifically, but does say
      about the Second Nocturn: "The second nocturn points out the gifts He
      brings, viz., the kingdom of God, peace, redemption, reconciliation with the
      Father. The psalms help give this message. . . . The lessons give a
      Christmas homily of Pope St. Leo I . . . . "

      I'm sure there must be detailed commentaries on the Western/Roman Breviary,
      which would list sources where these are known. Keep looking!

      By the way, for interested list readers, the Latin text is:

      O magnum mysterium
      et admirabile sacramentum,
      ut animalia viderent Dominum natum
      jacentem in praesepio: