Re: [liturgy-l] Creeds

  • mjthannisch
    Message 1 of 155 , Nov 6, 2006
      From: Tom Poelker
      To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 3:54 PM
      Subject: [liturgy-l] Creeds

      I(1) If there are other creed options, they would like to know them.
      If you know of another creed, please post it to the list,
      give a link to the text, or send it to TomPoelker@... as an

      Athanasian Creed, available at the Book of Common Prayter site under historical documents of the 1979 BCP

      (2) We have the Latin (RC) text for the Nicene Creed, but it has to have
      originally been in Greek.
      Can someone, please, show me a Greek text? (With or without
      whatever the Greek would be for "filioque."

      http://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/greek-fonts.asp

      (3) What denominations use the Nicene Creed?
      What inclusive language or other translation adjustments has any
      denomination made officially?

      Episopal Lutheran, Old Catholic, Christian Church, Synod of St. Timothy among others.

      (4) Which denominations have decided specifically not to use the Nicene
      Creed?
      Why?

      Pentacostal Holiness uses the Apostles instead of Nicene. I don't know why.

      (5) Is it correct of me to assume that a primary function of the Nicene
      Creed in the liturgy is to express unity with both historic Christianity
      and unity at some level with other denominations which profess this creed?

      Yes.

      (6) Does anyone have reasons why the Nicene Creed should NOT be used in
      the liturgy?

      Tom Poelker
      St. Louis, Missouri
      USA
      ---
      Falling in love consists merely in
      uncorking the imagination and
      bottling the common-sense.
      --- Helen Rowland

      Message 155 of 155 , Nov 28, 2006
        In a message dated 11/28/2006 7:50:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        oregan@... writes:

        Any theology that pertains to liturgy must, by the demands of liturgy (i.e.,
        its
        physicality) be rooted in that which is perceptible.

        But, it might just be me....

        A priest friend once described Anglo-Catholic liturgy as "kinetic." (He is
        not A/C, btw.)

        Others have described the ideal liturgy as invoking all of the senses -
        sound, sight, smell, taste.