Re: [liturgy-l] Happy ELW Day!

  • John Seboldt
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 3, 2006
      Pastor Art Hebbeler STS wrote:
      > Don't be too excited about the ELW...not a lot to be excited about in it
      > (INMSHO). The psalter is a disaster ("emended texts" abound).

      Sort of a ho-hum for me too. Generally, something to be aware of but not
      jump-up-and-down excitement. We'll be using it as a planning standard,
      but are in no hurry to get the books in the pews, since we print things
      up. Newer material from the preparatory books has already been in use
      for some time. Might be nice to have choir copies if there's a good
      standard SATB base in the settings (which I surely hope is true after
      the bizarre Bunjesization in the old LBW of many hymns normally sung
      with conventional harmony...) Worship order is more of the same, cleaner
      layout, but still the dry-as-dust committee texts "Let the vineyards"
      and "Thankful hearts and voices raise" (formerly known as "Thank the
      Lord and sing his praise...")... since coming back to a Lutheran church
      as organist, after sojourns in Rome and Canterbury, I am even more
      underwhelmed by these common items than I was when they first came out.
      lots of settings, but no real progress in the worship text area. And
      none of the newer settings have just leaped out at me yet. (Do you sense
      a little bit of a ho-hum yawn as I write this? Well, that's my initial
      attitude... It will take some time to mine the book and get acquainted,
      and maybe that will warm me to it over time... more of a wait and see
      feeling ... notice the open-endedness applied by all the ellipses here
      ... hmm... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ok, let's not get carried

      John Seboldt
      Milwaukee, WI
      http://portal.seboldt.net